Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Old Jun 13th 2014, 9:17 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Hi All,
This is probably a little off topic but just after your tips and advice.

Where we(me and wifey) are at in the process;
The documents for our L1B(I think thats what it is call, its the specialists skills one) are due to be submitted by the attorney the company has employed to help us next week. They are paying to have it fast tracked through so in theory and all being well we are due to get a decision in the first week of July.

There are loads of questions, most of which i can find answer to by searching but the big one is... How to handle the waiting!

We have prepared as much as i think we can, without effecting our life over here. I dont want to tell everyone that we are going and we don't want to get to worked up incase the visa gets denied. What did you all do to keep your sanity while waiting for possibly one of the biggest life changing decisions?
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 9:43 am
  #2  
Hoppity hop...
 
BunnyGirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,348
BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt View Post
Hi All,
This is probably a little off topic but just after your tips and advice.

Where we(me and wifey) are at in the process;
The documents for our L1B(I think thats what it is call, its the specialists skills one) are due to be submitted by the attorney the company has employed to help us next week. They are paying to have it fast tracked through so in theory and all being well we are due to get a decision in the first week of July.

There are loads of questions, most of which i can find answer to by searching but the big one is... How to handle the waiting!

We have prepared as much as i think we can, without effecting our life over here. I dont want to tell everyone that we are going and we don't want to get to worked up incase the visa gets denied. What did you all do to keep your sanity while waiting for possibly one of the biggest life changing decisions?
I read up on the process and the forms and what happens next so many times that I think I can now recite it in my head!

I've done a tonne of research on where we're moving to, schools, where to eat, where to run, doctors etc.

I've also eaten a LOT of chocolate...

We haven't told many people yet that we're moving, my family knows and my close friends but I haven't told anyone at work yet.

Also, sorry, but I had to laugh - we've just waited 6 months for our approval (fiance petition) and you're fretting about waiting a few weeks?!
BunnyGirl is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 9:58 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl View Post

Also, sorry, but I had to laugh - we've just waited 6 months for our approval (fiance petition) and you're fretting about waiting a few weeks?!
oops, sorry. We are also studying the area, trying to read up on all we need to know. The company are being very supportive and handy with information about the local area.

We are also doing our part with the great chocolate eating challenge!
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 10:06 am
  #4  
Hoppity hop...
 
BunnyGirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,348
BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt View Post
oops, sorry. !
No, you're fine - it's all relative. I knew our process would take months - going through immigration makes days feel like years!

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt View Post
We are also doing our part with the great chocolate eating challenge!
Jolly good, keep up the good work
BunnyGirl is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 10:06 am
  #5  
Turning into a PA gal!
 
lizzyq's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: State College PA, finally!
Posts: 2,894
lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl View Post
Also, sorry, but I had to laugh - we've just waited 6 months for our approval (fiance petition) and you're fretting about waiting a few weeks?!
6 months? DH was offered his job back in Feb 2013 - we have had nearly 18 months of limbo! Now with the O-1 /O-3 visas in all our passports we are on the final stretch for DH & the boys, I'm probably staying back a few extra weeks for tying up loose ends and some other family stuff.

Lots of time on BE following other people's visa journeys, learning to spot the "I love America" threads and reading lots about future processes for ourselves.

The staff at our local Barnardo's keep asking how it is all going too as I drop off yet another box of stuff. And once we are actually packed up our Morrison's will wonder why the banana boxes (we have LOTS of books) aren't vanishing any more!
lizzyq is online now  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 10:27 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
WhyteBoar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 58
WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

We've been going through this since February (I know that's not long compared to some) when my husband was first approached about a job. It feels like a rollarcoaster... waiting for the relocation offer (that was the worst bit), telling family, accepting the offer, dealing with the relocation team.

I told my work before his visa the granted and we arranged for the movers to collect our belongings too (coming Monday!); It was probably a bit risky, but thankfully it seems to have been okay.

We didn't find the waiting too bad as it felt like we were always trying to organise something. I guess we worked on the assumption that he would be granted the visa, so we started making plans in the interim period. The visa process was quick: about 15 days from the interview date confirmation to passport being returned.
WhyteBoar is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 11:03 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar View Post
We've been going through this since February (I know that's not long compared to some) when my husband was first approached about a job. It feels like a rollarcoaster... waiting for the relocation offer (that was the worst bit), telling family, accepting the offer, dealing with the relocation team.

I told my work before his visa the granted and we arranged for the movers to collect our belongings too (coming Monday!); It was probably a bit risky, but thankfully it seems to have been okay.

We didn't find the waiting too bad as it felt like we were always trying to organise something. I guess we worked on the assumption that he would be granted the visa, so we started making plans in the interim period. The visa process was quick: about 15 days from the interview date confirmation to passport being returned.
This sounds like the system and you have been in tune, good work! Yeah i guess our journey started in January with the opportunity opening up. The bits left to do involve giving notice on Rented house/Wifeys' job/Cats have got to go back to where we adopted them(This is going to be devastating but both have heart conditions). How long did it take from the time you submitted your documents to the interview if you don't mind me asking?
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 11:05 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post

Lots of time on BE following other people's visa journeys, learning to spot the "I love America" threads and reading lots about future processes for ourselves.
I love this bit..
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 11:11 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
WhyteBoar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 58
WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt View Post
This sounds like the system and you have been in tune, good work! Yeah i guess our journey started in January with the opportunity opening up. The bits left to do involve giving notice on Rented house/Wifeys' job/Cats have got to go back to where we adopted them(This is going to be devastating but both have heart conditions). How long did it take from the time you submitted your documents to the interview if you don't mind me asking?
Company lawyers did their bit and hubby completed an online form. When this was submitted he was asked to select an interview date, which I think about about 7-8 days in advance.

I think the worst bits are still to come: giving notice on the house (doing this today), sorting out the utilities/bills, redirecting mail, disposing of things... urgh I am not looking forward to it! I am staying here for an extra month to do these things and hubby is going to be over there securing a house and setting it up. Feels like a lot to do!

Last edited by WhyteBoar; Jun 13th 2014 at 11:14 am.
WhyteBoar is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 11:44 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar View Post
I think the worst bits are still to come: giving notice on the house (doing this today), sorting out the utilities/bills, redirecting mail, disposing of things... urgh I am not looking forward to it! I am staying here for an extra month to do these things and hubby is going to be over there securing a house and setting it up. Feels like a lot to do!
It sure is not going to be boring for a while is it? We are planning on getting out of here at the same time as it just seems so much to do both ends.
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 12:01 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
WhyteBoar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 58
WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt View Post
It sure is not going to be boring for a while is it? We are planning on getting out of here at the same time as it just seems so much to do both ends.
Ideally we would have chosen to go together; I would have liked to be able to take some of the pressure away from hubby at that end as he'll be working, but his company were putting a lot of pressure on him to be in situ by a given date, which has had quite a few knock on effects.

I just hope he can find a house quickly so I can book my flight. In limbo at the moment.
WhyteBoar is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:22 pm
  #12  
 
Weeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,262
Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

We were pretty certain ours was going to be approved so started work on the other stuff. Things like starting writing our belongings list for the shippers insurance. All those fiddly little jobs.
Weeze is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:27 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Owen778's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK, USA
Posts: 1,302
Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Good luck everyone.

Just a reminder that some of the UK utilities require a month's notice.
Owen778 is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:59 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
Good luck everyone.

Just a reminder that some of the UK utilities require a month's notice.
Thanks Owen. Reminds me to write a list of all the things to cancel.
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:36 pm
  #15  
researching since 2006
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Daventry uk
Posts: 8
mad123dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

You have no Idea EB-3 in retrogression been waiting 8 years for date to become current which it did last february (2013) just in perfect time for oldest childs O level exams and waiting to see if he qualified for the Army so had to put every thing on hold until Feb 2014 embassy interview and medical next then next stop Texas October hopefully that will bring us to 8 years 10 months since first application I have developed immence patience in that time.
mad123dog is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.