Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate Today

Exchange Rate Today

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:33 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exchange Rate Today

Only $1.64 to the pound
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange Rate Today

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Only $1.64 to the pound
i know and it's great news for me transferring $>£... i was going to do it a couple of mths ago and decided to wait it out a bit longer and boy am i dead made up..
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:46 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i know and it's great news for me transferring $>£... i was going to do it a couple of mths ago and decided to wait it out a bit longer and boy am i dead made up..
It did drop down to 1.62 this morning, and it looks to be heading back up a bit now. So if you haven't already done it then it may be an idea. Or you could wait until the BOE drops interest rates again in November, which is looking more and more likely.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zargof
It did drop down to 1.62 this morning, and it looks to be heading back up a bit now. So if you haven't already done it then it may be an idea. Or you could wait until the BOE drops interest rates again in November, which is looking more and more likely.
tks for that. i'm biding my time and so glad i decided to do that. i have a friend in Fl who bought a house in Scotland just two months ago and have lost big time with the exchange rate. it's always best to hang fire unless one is forced into a situation.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

2 months ago they were projecting a 6 month 'floor' of 1.65. Guess that's shot to hell now. I wouldn't be that surprised if we see back to 1.50 in the next year if this continues.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
2 months ago they were projecting a 6 month 'floor' of 1.65. Guess that's shot to hell now. I wouldn't be that surprised if we see back to 1.50 in the next year if this continues.
motley fool was projecting that a couple of days ago.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:18 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
motley fool was projecting that a couple of days ago.
It wouldn't surprise me. I'm happy with the drop as I have to pay off some debts back in the UK, and I'm already saving over $100 a month since it started falling from about $2.00.

If you don't have to send the money by a specific time, then what I would do is use the Bid function in XE. Set it to an exchange rate you would be happy to accept, and if you get it then great, if you don't then you haven't lost anything, but it means you don't have to spend time monitoring the exchange rate. Of course it is a bit of a gamble as the dollar may get weaker again, but IMO I don't see that happening in the forseeable future. Of course I'm not a financial adviser, so take this with a pinch of salt.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by zargof
It wouldn't surprise me. I'm happy with the drop as I have to pay off some debts back in the UK, and I'm already saving over $100 a month since it started falling from about $2.00.

If you don't have to send the money by a specific time, then what I would do is use the Bid function in XE. Set it to an exchange rate you would be happy to accept, and if you get it then great, if you don't then you haven't lost anything, but it means you don't have to spend time monitoring the exchange rate. Of course it is a bit of a gamble as the dollar may get weaker again, but IMO I don't see that happening in the forseeable future. Of course I'm not a financial adviser, so take this with a pinch of salt.

tks and yes i have that set up already for some of the money i'm transferring...i've used it before and it's a very useful tool. i'm not paranoid about it but significant drops like of recent weeks is something to smile about esp when transferring rather large sums....
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading some history of UK coins earlier and saw that in the early 60's the exchange rate was £1 > $2.60.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:15 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I was reading some history of UK coins earlier and saw that in the early 60's the exchange rate was £1 > $2.60.
Back when the sterling was the world's reserve currency, before WWII, a pound was typically worth about US$5.00.

When the dollar eventually loses its reserve currency status to the Chinese, now you have a preview of what to expect.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone said a few weeks ago in another thread, the volatility of the exchange rate is incredible at the moment.

It's only a couple of weeks since it went up from $1.73 to $1.85, now back to $1.63...it's mental.

Just need it to spike when I'm ready to transfer all my moola.....
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:27 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Just need it to spike when I'm ready to transfer all my moola.....
Yeah, it's completely fscking insane! I'm trying to do the same thing, but so far I've been a bit too hesitant and missed my moment twice...
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to transfer as low as 1.75USD. Any lower then I feel it isn't worth it, given that it's likely to spike again sometime soon.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It was at $2.40 as recently as 1980. By 1985 it touched parity with the dollar!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Currencies similar to housing, stock markets, and commodities tend to trend in the same direction for a long time before a reversal is made. This happened to the euro in relation to the dollar from 2002 to 2008 where the exchange rate went from $0.85 to the euro (very over valued $) to $1.60 to the euro (very under valued $). I doubt that the dollar will again return to the 2002 exchange rate but there is a possibility that the dollar will approach $1 to the euro (over valued $).

According to the chart in the following link, the dollar still needs to increase in value of about 12% in relation to the euro and 10% in relation to the pound (as of yesterday so the figures should be less today) to reach purchaing power parity.

http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/PPP.html

Edit: Oops. There appears to be a problem with the 2nd and 3rd charts. Those charts indicate that the US dollar is overvalued in relation to the Canadian dollar and the euro. I suspect that those charts are incorrect in relation to the dollar instead of the 1st chart since all other relations are correct between other currencies in all there charts and only the dollar is the oddball. For example the 1st chart indicates the Danish Krone is overvalued by 50% against the dollar, the 2nd chart indicates the Danish Krone is overvalued by 50% to the Canadian dollar, and chart 3 indicates the Danish Korne is overvalued by 33% in realtion to the Euro. That makes sense in relation to all three charts. All other currencies match up correctly between all three charts.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 22nd 2008 at 6:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.