Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Every one posts the negs, what the up's...

Every one posts the negs, what the up's...

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:14 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Every one posts the negs, what the up's...

Originally Posted by _jon_
But what are the big up's, you know, the things that make you grin unstoppably as you drive along.
Howard Stern
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The price of gas and decent sized cars.
Eh? Not so much these days......and there is definitely a trend to trade in them "Decent size cars" as far as I can see....

To answer the OP's question, as most other people have pointed out, seems to one of the main upsides is that can get much more stuff here....you can live bigger and better....just mind you don't live too bigger and too better - the current situation should be reason why not to.

I like the weather here too, most of the time - nice to see the sun on a regular basis.

Last edited by Dan725; Oct 3rd 2008 at 6:33 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:07 am
Curry Magnet

One Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes as others mentioned the space, for me the accessability to get to wonderful places, ie Monterey,Yosemite,Reno, Tahoe,San Francisco, Napa Valley.
The fact I can afford a new car every year, I have a 4 bedroom house,a fabulous job,cheap wine lol,the sun shines more,people are way more friendly and helpful, and I met my soul mate after a horrendous marriage
Ah Monterey. Brings back such happy memories - 3 months, all expenses paid, apartment in Asilomar, champagne breakfasts on a Sunday at The Tinnery, Monday Night Football at the National Fogbank Saloon and the best pizzas ever at Sly McFly's refuelling Station. Thursday night darts matches at The Penny Farthing in Salinas with steak and kidney pie and draught Bass. God I miss it.

I love being in Pennsylvania but if I could get a job there, and afford a house there, I would be off like a shot.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:13 am
jcj
Just Joined

jcj is an unknown quantity at this point

I am surprised how people are not able to list the +ves? Probably question should have been: What made you move? I am sure only few people did a forced move. For most it was their choice!

I am moving again because (by the way, lived in NY for four years before).

1. I like to experience new places. Going to live in a new place is the best way to do it.
2. It's going to be west coast this time. So, I get to cover what I missed last time.
3. Money is the same at either location. So, doesn't matter. In fact, US is probably cheaper if you don't move to NY, SF, etc.
4. Space. Yes I agree. And, Sun is good as well. But, hey just doing that wouldn't be fun as well.
5. Being able to live in the biggest economy in the world. Hence, more opportunities to earn and experience the luxuries of life if you can afford it.
6. Make more friends and expand the network. Useful even if you move again.
7. Being able to watch NBA and American football live. Even college level atmosphere is much bigger than in UK. And, being able to sleep through the home runs.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I like the weather right now, it's very pleasant.

I think the people here are very friendly and helpful, like MsElui we lived in London prior to coming here and the difference is amazing to me.
The people in the bank know our name and the customer service is waaaay better than the usual indifference I recieved at our local Natwest.

I like being able to watch the season premiers of all the latest TV shows.

I'm sure there must be more, but it's Friday and I can't think of any.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Well, obviously a lot of us end up finding this place because we are seeking a solution to a problem, for instance visas or tax.

Both of these can be a supreme pain in the butt so it's not surprising some people are not in the best mood when they are on here.

I love living in the US. I have a terrific party life here in Seattle. It's outstanding! But do you really want me to come on here every other day and gloat about what a good time I am having? I doubt it.

But yeah, in a nutshell, the skiing, friendliness, good beer, hiking, fantastic job opportunities, good food, hot babes, no chavs, positive attitudes..... the list is enormous. I love it. Don't want to move back!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:40 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

1. Lawn darts
2. Skiing.
3. Cruiser bicycles.
4. American girls.
5. Asian-American girls.
6. Girls.
7. FREEDOM!
8. Toyota Camrys.
9. Sierra Nevada.
10. Skinny jeans and ballet slippers.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye

5. Asian-American girls.
Word.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Well, obviously a lot of us end up finding this place because we are seeking a solution to a problem, for instance visas or tax.

Both of these can be a supreme pain in the butt so it's not surprising some people are not in the best mood when they are on here.

I love living in the US. I have a terrific party life here in Seattle. It's outstanding! But do you really want me to come on here every other day and gloat about what a good time I am having? I doubt it.

But yeah, in a nutshell, the skiing, friendliness, good beer, hiking, fantastic job opportunities, good food, hot babes, no chavs, positive attitudes..... the list is enormous. I love it. Don't want to move back!
What he said.

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
1. Lawn darts
2. Skiing.
3. Cruiser bicycles.
4. American girls.
5. Asian-American girls.
6. Girls.
7. FREEDOM!
8. Toyota Camrys.
9. Sierra Nevada.
10. Skinny jeans and ballet slippers.
What is 'lawn darts'?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:46 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the post's here focus on the difficulties and complications to the 'new life'.

But what are the big up's, you know, the things that make you grin unstoppably as you drive along. There must be some.........
None that I can think of. My natural gas shares have fallen 51% in the last three months wiping out everything I've earned in that period and more.

But on the upside... I bowled a 211 yesterday. Doesn't quite balance the loss in the share values but it did make me smile.

AND........... I found a lady last week with a farm shop just outside Austin who makes Pork Pies.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:02 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
What he said.

What is 'lawn darts'?
An American tradition. I know you'll love 'em, AL.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

That's a good point. I generally just enjoy being an ex-pat.

I enjoy the process of educating Americans (who in general are very eager to learn more about the UK, I find) and spreading the Scottish love.

To follow on from g1ant's post, I get a real rush when I find a shop selling Irn Bru, for instance, or bump into a Glaswegian in the street. Stuff that back in Scotland wouldn't make me think twice, gets me all excited when it happens here. I like that.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

hot babes,
and spreading the Scottish love.
oh no....

To follow on from g1ant's post, I get a real rush when I find a shop selling Irn Bru, for instance, or bump into a Glaswegian in the street. Stuff that back in Scotland wouldn't make me think twice, gets me all excited when it happens here. I like that.
I'd be happy to avoid most Brits in Florida, present company excepted...
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But what are the big up's, you know, the things that make you grin unstoppably as you drive along. There must be some.........
Right turn on red

But anyway, there's been a few threads on this too

But other things -

Spring in Maine
Maine blueberries
Maine lobster and shrimp
Maine maple syrup
The local blue cheese made a few towns over is awesome
The large number of over the air tele you can pick up, even if most is rubbish
PBS
Not being stared at for wanting to take left overs home, though portion control would be better
The National Parks
The ribs and some of the bbq
Chilies
Magic Hat beer labels and a lot of the micro brews in general
Trader Joes and Wholefoods
Ease of bottle redemption in MA, shame it's crap in Mass
Boston Red Sox being the local team and kicking arse helps get into the spirit of the sport, same for the Pats, though they are blowing chunks this year
The outlet malls are pretty good

Nothing really earth shattering, and noting to make this place better than the next, but these are things that aren't bad.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
oh no....

I'd be happy to avoid most Brits in Florida, present company excepted...
Yeah, Brit tourists are revolting. I can imagine geriatric retired Brits aren't much better.

But hard working Brits in the Pacific Northwest? We are delightful!

Moreover there are not enough of us here to reach that critical tosspot Brit mass thing - you know, the Costa del Sol effect.

I'm not sure that's the case in Orlando.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.