Reload this Page >

Ever so slightly concerned Brit with baby born in USA

Wikiposts

Ever so slightly concerned Brit with baby born in USA

Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:10 am
Just Joined

beckthepeck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ever so slightly concerned Brit with baby born in USA

I am 25 yr old Brit and have a 2 month old son born here in the States. My friends are coming to visit for 2 weeks in October and my son will be 4 months old. We wanted to take him to NY for a short visit. I asked my husband to come with us but he says he wont leave school, all I asked him to do was take 2 days off. I am still trying to sort out my own immigration and know I wont be able to go back to the UK for a long time till thats all sorted so i dont think it was unreasonable to ask my husband to take 2 days off school. Anyway, he went mad and said I am being blase and he needs to get good grades and i understand thats but 2 days is not gonna send him off track and i suggested he emailed his profs when the time came so he could not miss out on those lessons too much. He told me I could get out of the country and leave the baby with him. I dunno where that came from but it worried me as to my rights. We have just started registering him for an American passport but my husband says we dont need him to get a British one. I now want him to get one as I know i could not leave the country with him on an American passport without written consent from my husband. Well, I'm just trying to cover my back here because it shocked me that my husband told me to get out and leave the baby with him. I DONT Blooming well think so!!!!!!!! I'm pretty mad and told him to get out of the house, but anyways, just wondering how to go about getting a passport for my son in case things go pear-shaped (which I hope they wont). Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:12 am
Just Joined

beckthepeck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ever so slightly concerned Brit with baby born in USA

Also, do I and my son need a passport to go from Chicago to Ny or anywhere else in America? I have a passport but we are still waiting for one for my son's american one.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckthepeck
I am 25 yr old Brit and have a 2 month old son born here in the States. My friends are coming to visit for 2 weeks in October and my son will be 4 months old. We wanted to take him to NY for a short visit. I asked my husband to come with us but he says he wont leave school, all I asked him to do was take 2 days off. I am still trying to sort out my own immigration and know I wont be able to go back to the UK for a long time till thats all sorted so i dont think it was unreasonable to ask my husband to take 2 days off school. Anyway, he went mad and said I am being blase and he needs to get good grades and i understand thats but 2 days is not gonna send him off track and i suggested he emailed his profs when the time came so he could not miss out on those lessons too much. He told me I could get out of the country and leave the baby with him. I dunno where that came from but it worried me as to my rights. We have just started registering him for an American passport but my husband says we dont need him to get a British one. I now want him to get one as I know i could not leave the country with him on an American passport without written consent from my husband. Well, I'm just trying to cover my back here because it shocked me that my husband told me to get out and leave the baby with him. I DONT Blooming well think so!!!!!!!! I'm pretty mad and told him to get out of the house, but anyways, just wondering how to go about getting a passport for my son in case things go pear-shaped (which I hope they wont). Thanks for any advice.
I think you need to register his birth with the UK Embassy in Washington DC then apply for a UK PP for him. Don't know how this will help you regarding your marriage problems. Your son is a USC and resides in the US...you can't remove him from the US without your husband's permission even if he has dual citizenship.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:25 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Your son won't need any identification for flying domestic flights within the US, not until he is 16 or so (I forget the exact age, but it is up there).

As for overseas, just leaving is a very, very bad idea. It will be a major strike against you in a custody dispute and would come back to haunt you in the future.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:35 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckthepeck
Thanks for any advice.
You're stuck between a rock and a very hard place. The domicile for the child is the US, and you won't be able to take the child to the UK without his permission unless done through a court order. Google the Hague Convention for more information on international child custody issues.

You say nothing about your current status in the US. This is important since you need to regularize your status so you can live and work in the US should the marriage break up and you wish to have custody of the child. There are cases where the partner has not progressed far enough along the path to ensure permanent residency, and this is not a place anybody would want to be!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Your baby is entitled to a British passport and British birth cerificate, best to contact the British Embassy for more info