Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

European electrical goods

European electrical goods

Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:32 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute
Default European electrical goods

I am sure I've read here on the forum that UK/ European electrical goods won't work in the US. But my husband insists there is an adapter that you can use that will drop the voltage. He insists that it doesn't need to be dual voltage as well. Is this true?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European electrical goods

Originally Posted by WJS
I am sure I've read here on the forum that UK/ European electrical goods won't work in the US. But my husband insists there is an adapter that you can use that will drop the voltage. He insists that it doesn't need to be dual voltage as well. Is this true?
You can buy voltage adapters, but IMO, it's probably not safe for high consumption appliances- fridges, washers/dryers, etc. Might be OK for a small TV, but I would question if it's actually worth it. Electrical goods are generally much cheaper in the US compared to the UK, so you wont be looking at a significant outlay to buy new.

Mobile goods, such as laptops, will work fine. Hair dryers might not work.

Games consoles will work, but you wont be able to play any games bought in the US.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Anything with a motor might not work properly, or at all, because the frequency is different as well as the voltage.

And you can have problems with your insurance being voided if you try to claim, for example for a house fire and the insurance company finds out that you've been using a transformer.

I have a couple of transformers, but rarely ever used one, the other is running a "dorm size" fridge that I wish we hadn't brought with us.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 4th 2015 at 3:42 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:17 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for the information. I agree it would be crazy but was convinced it wouldn't work so now have to tell my husband he was right!

Things like lamps I would want to bring and after reading here our Samsung TV's would work so would like to bring those as well as laptops etc..
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Thank you both for the information. I agree it would be crazy but was convinced it wouldn't work so now have to tell my husband he was right!

Things like lamps I would want to bring and after reading here our Samsung TV's would work so would like to bring those as well as laptops etc..
Do note that most lamps can be rewired and new bulb fixtures attached. If is not all that hard. [I have an old pole lamp which used "mogul" type bulbs which are hard to get these days. I easily converted it to the standard "Edison" type socket and updated the wire DIY].
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:43 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Of course Folinsky thanks, I wasn't thinking, that's what we would do.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a transformer for our little hi-fi as we quite liked it.

It's worked fine - it's only a max of 300W though. I think it was about GBP 40.00. I wouldn't want anything that used any more power on one though.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Thank you both for the information. I agree it would be crazy but was convinced it wouldn't work so now have to tell my husband he was right! .....
You're both somewhat right - it can be done, but mostly it's not sensible.

Given the low cost of most electronics in the US, I wouldn't recommend bringing anything that is older than two years unless it is especially valuable or otherwise important to you.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:52 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're both somewhat right - it can be done, but mostly it's not sensible.

Given the low cost of most electronics in the US, I wouldn't recommend bringing anything that is older than two years unless it is especially valuable or otherwise important to you.

Thanks Jericho79, very good to know information.

Pulaski would that include TV's in your opinion? I stupidly bought a few TV's just under two years ago, two of them are Samsung that we love, one 8 series and the other a 7 series, they were both a bit expensive here in France. But perhaps they just aren't worth taking?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat085 is an unknown quantity at this point

most electrical items work here as we have 220 volts at 60 HZ mostly it is items that require a frequency from the mains such as clocks and timers.
i brought drills and such and all worked fine televisions and videos will work playing your own English but not American as there video standard is NTSC not PAL English i hope tihs helps peter
Old Aug 5th 2015, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by wookie
most electrical items work here as we have 220 volts at 60 HZ mostly it is items that require a frequency from the mains such as clocks and timers. ....
The mains frequency often determines how fast motors turn, and so, as I said earlier, many things with motors, including but not confined to, fans, vacuums, hairdryers, and food mixers may not run properly. This can, and often does, mean that (i) they may become a fire hazard, and (ii) the life of the appliance is sigificantly reduced.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:31 am
WJS
Forum Regular

Thank you. But still very unclear about the TV's. Wookie not sure I understand about them showing English versus American. Will they be able to pick up for example American cable or satellite?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

WJS the TV system in the USA has a different colour scheme I.E. NTSC and it also has a different sound standard too. so no it will not pick up and allow you to receive or listen to us cable or satellite signals this goes for video recorders as well. but if like me you have a lot of favourite videos tapes or DVD's you can get a multi standard TV and video recorder.
i hope this helps if not let me know and i will do my best to help you as i have lived here for over 18 years now and i am a communications engineer/technician.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

hi pulaski i have lived and worked here in the USA for over 30 years now and I brought my electrical and electronic equipment with me and I have helped others through the same experiences so far no fires or any notice able motor sped problems.
please bare in-mind that most UK equipment is also designed to work in Europe on its mostly 220 volts and normally the most noticeable difference is that heating elements used in the likes of kettles and the water heaters tend to heat more slowly.
I am an electronics engineer/ technician for 35 years now and having lived here in the USA for over 18 years i have helped a lot of people out on a lot of forums and nobody has gone up in smoke yet?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

The TV will work for things like netflix, connecting to a dvd/media player, etc, but probably wont work to receive cable (some TV's are dual PAL/NTSC).

To continue the discussion re other appliances, given that hairdryers struggle with the switch from UK to US, i'd be highly concerned with plugging in larger appliances- such vacuum cleaners, fridges, clothes dryers etc.

Ask yourself if it's worth the risk? Why bother bringing that stuff over here in the hope that they work? If they dont work, you cant sell them. Better option is to sell them in the UK and buy new when you get to the US.

In the grand scheme of things, this is probably one of the least expensive parts of moving countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.