Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Esta when traveling by land?

Esta when traveling by land?

Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Esta when traveling by land?

It never ceases to amaze me how people can take a single, specific incident and try to turn it into something that it clearly isn't.

Ian
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is all in theory.....
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Sorry I forgot to mention that this is all in theory.....
Yeah, you don't even have a brother do you?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
Yeah, you don't even have a brother do you?
I do when Ians around!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

They will tell the immigration officer that they are traveling to some cities and also seeing me and my wife. If they don't mention a baby then they won't be lying.
For 3 months? CBP are always suspicious when someone says they want to stay for the maximum amount of time they're permitted to stay, I'd make sure they have evidence of non-immigrant intent, i.e. proof of funds (bank statement for example) and proof of intent to leave (plane ticket to the UK for example) at a minimum. Also helpful to have proof they live in the UK e.g. deed, rent agreement, also proof employment in the UK.

Also be aware of the fact that CBP don't consider a departure to another location in North America (with the exception of some of the more distant Caribbean countries) to be leaving the US for the purposes of the VWP. I.e. they can't leave and come back and get more days.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_
For 3 months? CBP are always suspicious when someone says they want to stay for the maximum amount of time they're permitted to stay, I'd make sure they have evidence of non-immigrant intent, i.e. proof of funds (bank statement for example) and proof of intent to leave (plane ticket to the UK for example) at a minimum. Also helpful to have proof they live in the UK e.g. deed, rent agreement, also proof employment in the UK.

Also be aware of the fact that CBP don't consider a departure to another location in North America (with the exception of some of the more distant Caribbean countries) to be leaving the US for the purposes of the VWP. I.e. they can't leave and come back and get more days.
They don't really "live" anywhere right now, they traveled across NZ Then Europe....So that was about 2 years for them, they are now traveling across Canada then after leaving the US they will be traveling to Asia for a year or so.....That's why I think it will be easier if they say they are just visiting for a few weeks....Like people have mentioned in the past, it's easy for plans to change and they are not planning on overstaying.

Since they travel so much they don't own/rent a house anywhere and they don't have any plane tickets currently booked.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:42 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

The UKC will also need $6US for the I-94W (just bills or credit card, the CBP officer didn't like the Sacagawea Dollar I had). Canadian will just be waived through (pretty much).
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
The UKC will also need $6US for the I-94W (just bills or credit card, the CBP officer didn't like the Sacagawea Dollar I had). Canadian will just be waived through (pretty much).
Good grief. If even the US government won't take dollar coins, it's no wonder the mint has millions of them sitting around gathering dust.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't really "live" anywhere right now, they traveled across NZ Then Europe....So that was about 2 years for them, they are now traveling across Canada then after leaving the US they will be traveling to Asia for a year or so.....

Since they travel so much they don't own/rent a house anywhere and they don't have any plane tickets currently booked...
So they don't have a residence abroad that they don't intend to abandon, and they don't have a return flight outside the USA. They will definitely need the return ticket showing when they intend to leave the USA in hand before trying to cross the border. It would help if they have a residence abroad that they must return to...but if they don't, they don't.

That's why I think it will be easier if they say they are just visiting for a few weeks....Like people have mentioned in the past, it's easy for plans to change and they are not planning on overstaying.
They should NEVER lie to an Immigration Officer.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So they don't have a residence abroad that they don't intend to abandon, and they don't have a return flight outside the USA. They will definitely need the return ticket showing when they intend to leave the USA in hand before trying to cross the border. It would help if they have a residence abroad that they must return to...but if they don't, they don't.

Rene
Return ticket where? They will be driving into the US....
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Return ticket where? They will be driving into the US....
I would imagine that they will need to show a ticket to prove that they will be actually leaving the US. Where do they plan on going after their visit?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:21 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rpjs
Good grief. If even the US government won't take dollar coins, it's no wonder the mint has millions of them sitting around gathering dust.
And is in fact illegal for the US government not to accept them - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender#United_States

Although I wonder since I encountered the CBP officer at the pre-clearance at Vancouver Pacific Central Station whether US laws apply?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
I would imagine that they will need to show a ticket to prove that they will be actually leaving the US. Where do they plan on going after their visit?
Probably Asia....Maybe back to Canada....What I mean is that he has a working visa to Canada right now and his gf is from Canada.....Do people really need to show airline tickets if they are living in Canada and not citizens?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably Asia....Maybe back to Canada....What I mean is that he has a working visa to Canada right now and his gf is from Canada.....Do people really need to show airline tickets if they are living in Canada and not citizens?
No, not if they can honestly answer "where are you heading after your trip to the US" with "we're heading back to Canada"
Just think that if they answer "we haven't decided yet" or similar then it may raise some red flags.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
No, not if they can honestly answer "where are you heading after your trip to the US" with "we're heading back to Canada"
Just think that if they answer "we haven't decided yet" or similar then it may raise some red flags.
Cool. Thanks. I will speak to them over the weekend about it all, they have both lived/worked/traveled in a lot of countries so they are used to dealing with this sort of thing. With how many stamps are in their passports its gonna be easy for the immigration officer to see that they aren't looking to settle down anywhere! That's assuming that the io has common sense......a pretty big assumption I guess!