Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

equivalency tax

equivalency tax

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: equivalency tax

Originally Posted by Macca67
Are you sure you are not mixing-up "Tax Equivalency" with "Tax Equalization"? The latter is used by many companies who send their folks overseas and want to ensure they are no better or worse off from a tax perspective than they would be in the home country. If there is a tax liability then the company pays the bill.

If your assignment is temporary then you can continue to pay NI to ensure you will maintain enough contributins to qualify for a full UK state pension - I think!
Even if it's not a temporary position he can still pay NI contributions if he wishes.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michael
Since the company screwed up, they should be the ones to pay the cost of straightening out the mess.
I believe the American expression is "Good luck with that"! The liability to pay tax is a personal liability, and is not directly connected to any withholding that an employer does.

Bottom line: as far as both the UK and US are concerned, liability for income tax is based on country of physical residence. National Insurance / Social Security is a little more flexible, but for income tax, if you live here, you owe the IRS a tax form.

The "filling in forms when you leave" idea is what is generally known as the "sailing permit". The form is 1040-C: basically involves completing a tax form. From what I've read, the requirement still theoretically exists but was last enforced around the time people used to sail home.

If you're looking to live here permanently, it would be worth straightening this out (and you might even end up with a refund...)
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the scotsman
Hi Michael, work for a small company with a director who does the accounts. He doesn't really know about US tax and basically i've been a guinea pig in this saga by the looks of things.
I just married a US girl and am heading home until my EAD document comes through (Still not started filing for change of status) Will this tax issue be a problem with re entry to the US or my EAD application?
It is hard to say since there is a tax liability for work being performed in the US but the government still does not know yet. Since your company didn't file any W2 forms with the government, the government currently doesn't know that you have been getting paid. However when all records are cross checked, the IRS will probably garnish your bank accounts and wages.

A friend of mine from the UK set up a subsidiary in the US in the 1970s. For 4 years (no statute of limitations when you don't file returns) he didn't pay any US taxes. All of a sudden the IRS started the process of freezing his bank accounts. Immediately he flew back to the UK and threatened to not return to the US unless the company straightened out the problem (his case was different than yours in that he didn't pay either UK or US tax).
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rew1000
I believe the American expression is "Good luck with that"! The liability to pay tax is a personal liability, and is not directly connected to any withholding that an employer does.

Bottom line: as far as both the UK and US are concerned, liability for income tax is based on country of physical residence. National Insurance / Social Security is a little more flexible, but for income tax, if you live here, you owe the IRS a tax form.

The "filling in forms when you leave" idea is what is generally known as the "sailing permit". The form is 1040-C: basically involves completing a tax form. From what I've read, the requirement still theoretically exists but was last enforced around the time people used to sail home.

If you're looking to live here permanently, it would be worth straightening this out (and you might even end up with a refund...)
It is true that tax is a personal liability but the company broke so many laws that it would be in their best interest to solve the problem. It is the companies responsibility to have the employee fill out the W4 form, withhold social security and medicare taxes (also pay the companies share) unless a waiver is applied for, withhold federal income taxes and state taxes (N/A in Texas), pay unemployment insurance, pay state disability insurance (workmans comp), and issue a W2 to the government and the employee at the end of the year.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 2nd 2009 at 8:39 pm.