British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   entrapment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/entrapment-159040/)

debs36 Jun 12th 2003 10:33 pm

entrapment

Hi - new to the forum (go easy on me for Today!)

I have been watching a programme on BBC1 (UK) about a day at Miami airport (usual tv).

I was quite stunned at how the police work in the US-basically they stuffed a carrier bag with some money and fake ID and left the bag beside a payphone, awaiting for someone, anyone to come along the take it and then see if they hand it in to the authorities.

Well along comes a guy uses the phone, peeks in the bag and takes it and suddenly they are all over him (the police that is) cause he wasnt going to hand it in- Oh no he leaving with the MONEY! swine!!!!basically they arrested him with Grand theft, took him to jail for the night with a court hearing for the next day.

The informed him that is wasnt "finders keepers day" at the airport- and they do this setup as they are fed up with people stealing.

I Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this type of policing or heard any simular tales.........................

I remember losing my hand bag once it wasnt nice !!! i felt lost without it- but this seems a bit mean to me!!!

Debs

scotch03 Jun 12th 2003 11:43 pm

Re: entrapment

Hi Debs,
I am an ex cop from London and can confirm that similar situations happen in the UK.
The reasons are:

1 - Finding property and not taking steps to return it is theft. (This includes removing items from a trash can or skip).

2 - Usually those who are likely to keep the property are of a criminal mind and as such often have outstanding warrants.

3 - The tactics can be used as crime prevention methods when details are circulated throughout the community.

4 - Word soon travels through the local crimainl community and crime normally falls as criminals cannot tell if the mobile phone sitting on the seat of a car is some poor victims or a police sting.

I know it seems unfair the tactic but if you are an honest person what do you have to worry about.

Hope that helps a little.

Gary

Pulaski Jun 13th 2003 2:11 am

I agree with Scotch, but I'd add that you don't want somebody helping themselves to bags in an airport. I would assume that such a person had gone there with the intention of removing as many bags as they could get away with. :rolleyes:

Emm Jun 13th 2003 7:13 am

Originally posted by Pulaski
I agree with Scotch, but I'd add that you don't want somebody helping themselves to bags in an airport. I would assume that such a person had gone there with the intention of removing as many bags as they could get away with. :rolleyes:

Coming from the British side with all the 'troubles' we've had over the years with the IRA, if I saw an abandoned bag the first thing I'd do is call Security just in case it's a bomb.

Am I paranoid or is this what most 'honest' people travelling through an airport would assume?

Emm.

PS the absolute LAST thing I would do is go and poke my nose into the bag!!!