British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/entirely-optional-lets-say-10-nice-things-about-septics-thread-439085/)

Rushman Apr 1st 2007 8:24 pm

Re: The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 4589911)
I thought he was on Radio 1 :confused:

You're think of Steve Wright (In the afternoon) and he's been on Radio 2 now since before I left blighty in 02.

gruffbrown Apr 1st 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4589915)
You're think of Steve Wright (In the afternoon) and he's been on Radio 2 now since before I left blighty in 02.

Were we seperated at birth?

Lord Lionheart Apr 1st 2007 8:28 pm

It was some sarcastic irony that our American cousins are so bereft of.............. apparently. I think I've come across his Mr. Angry character on BE though ;)

Rushman Apr 1st 2007 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4589920)
Were we seperated at birth?

We've done that 2 or 3 times today. Reminds me of the "Manuel Redcloud Postlethwaite" posts...now that was ****ing spooky. Tried to find it the other day.....no such luck.

gruffbrown Apr 1st 2007 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 4589922)
It was some sarcastic irony that our American cousins are so bereft of.............. apparently. I think I've come across his Mr. Angry character on BE though ;)

Where?

Lord Lionheart Apr 1st 2007 8:34 pm

On a similar theme, can someone explain why Ruby Wax is so popular in the UK :confused: Obnoxious cow

Rushman Apr 1st 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 4589922)

Surely you mean Uncle Angry?

Lord Lionheart Apr 1st 2007 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4589944)
Surely you mean Uncle Angry?

Or Auntie Angry :curse: :curse:

TouristTrap Apr 1st 2007 9:11 pm

I used to listen to him on my way to work about 15 years ago in the mornings, back in the land....he is one seriously funny man.

I thought it was John Cleese that was married to a psycholigist.:confused:

iused2liveinflorida Apr 1st 2007 9:22 pm

Re: The entirely optional \"Lets say 10 nice things about Septics\" thread

why are americans called septics????

Triumphrob Apr 1st 2007 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by iused2liveinflorida (Post 4590071)

THis was answered a few posts earlier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Septic tanks = yanks
Very appropriate in my opinion

Triumphrob Apr 1st 2007 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4589574)
Very very rarely I happen upon a post on BE that I genuinely wish I had posted myself.....this would be one of those rare little gems.

I shall now start a similar thread on a similar forum and use this as my own work.

Er, thanks............

cabritpop Apr 1st 2007 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4589412)
Not having children - I'm interested in the posters that said US likes children...does the UK not?

Just for the spirit of the thread I will mention mine (again, so sorry for the repeat!)

1) Garage door openers
2) Air conditioning
3) Patriotic (though as an OP said this does wind me up
just cause we are not like that)
4) Initial friendliness
5) Variety and cheap restaurants
6) Used to be cheaper housing (but not where I live!!)
7) Abundance of car parking spaces everywhere
from libraries - shops etc
8) Usually FREE (or a lot cheaper) car parking :thumbsup:
9) Cheaper taxes (well, where I live)
10) Emphasis on family
11) How they talk to the children and discipline them
(well what I've seen)

This is more like it!

Elvira Apr 1st 2007 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4590034)
......I thought it was John Cleese that was married to a psycholigist.:confused:

Don't know, but Billy Connolly is definitely married to Pamela Stephenson. She even wrote his biography. :)

Deedee13 Apr 1st 2007 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 4589656)
You can thank the Swiss for that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro

someones gone and bloody checked it too!!! God forbid giving the yanks too much praise!!! hehehe. I bet the americans invented the elastic waist band tho!!!

jumping doris Apr 1st 2007 11:19 pm

1. Very friendly
2. Can do attitude
3. work hard, play hard
4. very polite
5. great teeth
That's about the people, here's a few about the place

6. Four seasons (where I live)
7. Generally empty roads (ditto)
8. Amazing scenery
9. All the animals I've never seen before...chipmunks, racoons,coyotes,elks etc.
10.Disney World (Yes I love it there, prefer the one in Paris. I want to be Minnie Mouse in the parade)

elfman Apr 1st 2007 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4590132)
Don't know, but Billy Connolly is definitely married to Pamela Stephenson. She even wrote his biography. :)

You're both right - Pamela Stephenson is now a psychologist.

jumping doris Apr 1st 2007 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4589472)
Very true and if I had children I would be the one that shouts etc :o

But my friend in VA was strict, no messing but she was the 1st person I'd seen that didn't believe you have to shout etc to show you are upset with them. No amount of pleading or crying from her kids would turn her from the punishment area but did it in a soft way and she said no loads lol (which I was so jealous as I'm a hothead!)

I agree. You don't notice as many screaming, crying children here and yelling, harrassed parents. Perhaps everyone is sedated?
Where I live everyone spends a lot of time ...and money...on their children. I know more stay at home mums here than I did in the UK and that goes right up to 12th grade. It seems to pay off because all the teenagers I know are very polite and very good company and very comfortable in adult company.
Sadly a lot of my childrens UK friends, who I love to bits because I have known them all their lives, are the complete opposite.

Lycanthrop Apr 1st 2007 11:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by iused2liveinflorida (Post 4590071)

Good question........

Here is one:

Rather a tasteful choice in shirts.......no?

Lycanthrop Apr 1st 2007 11:34 pm

1 Attachment(s)
........and here is another one with an amazing weapon.

Irn-bru Apr 1st 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart (Post 4589937)
On a similar theme, can someone explain why Ruby Wax is so popular in the UK :confused: Obnoxious cow

sorry I am a fan - I luv her

Irn-bru Apr 1st 2007 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4590443)
I agree. You don't notice as many screaming, crying children here and yelling, harrassed parents. Perhaps everyone is sedated?
Where I live everyone spends a lot of time ...and money...on their children. I know more stay at home mums here than I did in the UK and that goes right up to 12th grade. It seems to pay off because all the teenagers I know are very polite and very good company and very comfortable in adult company.
Sadly a lot of my childrens UK friends, who I love to bits because I have known them all their lives, are the complete opposite.

:)
But sedation - that could be it! :D

TouristTrap Apr 2nd 2007 12:27 am

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4590443)
I agree. You don't notice as many screaming, crying children here and yelling, harrassed parents. Perhaps everyone is sedated?Where I live everyone spends a lot of time ...and money...on their children. I know more stay at home mums here than I did in the UK and that goes right up to 12th grade. It seems to pay off because all the teenagers I know are very polite and very good company and very comfortable in adult company.

Actually, you'd be surprised ;)

http://www.ablechild.org/newsarchive...g%204-3-04.htm

jumping doris Apr 2nd 2007 2:05 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4590549)

:ohmy: :eek:
That will be the next thing to cross the pond.

cabritpop Apr 2nd 2007 2:27 am

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4590415)
6. Four seasons (where I live)

Motel 6 is a heck of a lot cheaper.

cabritpop Apr 2nd 2007 2:49 am

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4590747)
:ohmy: :eek:
That will be the next thing to cross the pond.

It already has, but not quite as severely. Search on the BBC for 'Ritalin' for example.

Lycanthrop Apr 2nd 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4590836)
It already has, but not quite as severely. Search on the BBC for 'Ritalin' for example.

Closely followed by cosmetic surgery? There was a TV program last night which claimed 2milliion procedures a year now in the US..........they quoted some medical condition for cosmetic surgery addiction.

jumping doris Apr 2nd 2007 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4590790)
Motel 6 is a heck of a lot cheaper.

:D I prefer Super 8

jumping doris Apr 2nd 2007 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4590836)

There were quite a few children on that at our old primary school.For ADHD.

Sally Apr 2nd 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 4591705)
Closely followed by cosmetic surgery? There was a TV program last night which claimed 2milliion procedures a year now in the US..........they quoted some medical condition for cosmetic surgery addiction.

1.9 million of those must live around here.

Sally Apr 2nd 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4592003)
There were quite a few children on that at our old primary school.For ADHD.

Yes same here. They were told to avoid food colourings but many mothers couldn't seem to stop feeding the kids rubbish sweets.

Lycanthrop Apr 2nd 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 4593178)
1.9 million of those must live around here.

At least if you are the kind of person who cant remember a face........

danfan Apr 2nd 2007 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4590480)
:)
But sedation - that could be it! :D

They are all on ritalin!

danfan Apr 2nd 2007 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4594183)
They are all on ritalin!

oh someone beat me to it LOL

Corn syrup & candy probably causes half of it. Even the teachers give out sweets all day as rewards. GGGRRRRR!! I don't allow it much at home so that just pi$$es me off.

Before anyone jumps on me, I know ADHD is real - I have a child with that & other health problems, but honestly, half the kids that I've met are either wildly hyper and rude or doped on on meds and I don't believe they are all ADHD.

Deedee13 Apr 2nd 2007 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4594195)
oh someone beat me to it LOL

Corn syrup & candy probably causes half of it. Even the teachers give out sweets all day as rewards. GGGRRRRR!! I don't allow it much at home so that just pi$$es me off.

Before anyone jumps on me, I know ADHD is real - I have a child with that & other health problems, but honestly, half the kids that I've met are either wildly hyper and rude or doped on on meds and I don't believe they are all ADHD.

i dont believe it either, i had never even heard of it before i came here a couple of years ago on holiday. It seems every second kid has it. .

I am not saying it doesnt exsist but it is being diagnosed as the easy alternative in a lot of people.

As for candy, we have always had it for the girls, so its not a novalty. And as such they just dont bother with it. Make up for it tho in the amount of pop they drink grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Irn-bru Apr 2nd 2007 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4594183)
They are all on ritalin!

I was talking about mothers being sedated as they mostly seem so calm.

danfan Apr 2nd 2007 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4594228)
i dont believe it either, i had never even heard of it before i came here a couple of years ago on holiday. It seems every second kid has it. .

I am not saying it doesnt exsist but it is being diagnosed as the easy alternative in a lot of people.

As for candy, we have always had it for the girls, so its not a novalty. And as such they just dont bother with it. Make up for it tho in the amount of pop they drink grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Ooo no pop or sweets in my house. They are Special Treats Only. They would rather get an apple or grapes. Got'em well trained.

Me, on the other hand, LOL I ate 15 boxes of girl scout cookies last month. They are well hidden

danfan Apr 2nd 2007 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4594232)
I was talking about mothers being sedated as they mostly seem so calm.

oh yeah! Probably!!

britvic Apr 2nd 2007 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4594235)
Ooo no pop or sweets in my house. They are Special Treats Only. They would rather get an apple or grapes. Got'em well trained.

Same here :thumbup: I sussed all the colouring's crap back in the mid 80's with my oldest Daughter, worked a treat :) next one the colouring's really did not affect her, and now with my Son I found out oh yes they do :ohmy:

SecretGarden Apr 2nd 2007 10:45 pm

There are many misconceptions regarding ADD and ADHD, and because there is (as yet) no definitive medical "test" for it or identified genetic marker, many people assume that it isn't real or that it is the result of bad parenting or too much junk in a diet. (Granted, those factors can certainly exacerbate the child's atypical behavior, but if a child truly has ADHD or ADD, those things are not causal factors on their own).

People are also very confused as to how giving a child with ADD or ADHD a stimulant medication will cause them to be calmed by it----this is because it "wakes up" the areas of the brain responsible for attention and executive functioning that controls behavior.

I have three children; two of who have been diagnosed with ADD plus the hyperactivity component. Their father was also diagnosed during their diagnostic testing. One of the kids is affected more than the other and therefore is taking a different medication with a different dose.

There is no magic pill or magic technique----we follow a combination approach in our household of medication, organization and structured routines, and consistent expectations.

I know this has nothing to do with the initial purpose of the thread, but I just had to chime in that it isn't as simple as it appears. Each child is different and needs to be evaluated by people who know what they're doing.

Thanks for reading.
~SecretGarden