Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English usage and the "Downing Street Memo"

English usage and the "Downing Street Memo"

Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:54 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default English usage and the "Downing Street Memo"

Some of you may or may not know that over a month ago, The Sunday Times of London was the first to break the story about the "Downing Street Memo" -- a controversial news story over in the UK which the US media seem to have been reluctant to run at all. It appears that there is some confusion over the use of a phrase in the memo, because it may mean different things depending on whether you use American English or British English. Here's the memo section in question (my emphasis added):

"C reported on his recent talks in Washington. There was a perceptible shift in attitude. Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy. The NSC had no patience with the UN route, and no enthusiasm for publishing material on the Iraqi regime's record. There was little discussion in Washington of the aftermath after military action."

When I -- an American -- read this, I interpret "fixed around" to mean something was rigged, or more specifically, that the intelligence and facts were deliberately and deceptively altered to support Bush's position.

However, I've read in a couple of news articles that "fixed around" in British English means "added on" or "bolted on". I'm not really sure what they mean by that or even if that happens to be true. (Mark isn't here for me to ask!)

So... How do YOU interpret this phrase? Do Britons read that the same way I'M reading it, or differently?

~ Jenney
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English usage and the "Downing Street Memo"

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Some of you may or may not know that over a month ago, The Sunday Times of London was the first to break the story about the "Downing Street Memo" -- a controversial news story over in the UK which the US media seem to have been reluctant to run at all. It appears that there is some confusion over the use of a phrase in the memo, because it may mean different things depending on whether you use American English or British English. Here's the memo section in question (my emphasis added):

"C reported on his recent talks in Washington. There was a perceptible shift in attitude. Military action was now seen as inevitable. Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy. The NSC had no patience with the UN route, and no enthusiasm for publishing material on the Iraqi regime's record. There was little discussion in Washington of the aftermath after military action."

When I -- an American -- read this, I interpret "fixed around" to mean something was rigged, or more specifically, that the intelligence and facts were deliberately and deceptively altered to support Bush's position.

However, I've read in a couple of news articles that "fixed around" in British English means "added on" or "bolted on". I'm not really sure what they mean by that or even if that happens to be true. (Mark isn't here for me to ask!)

So... How do YOU interpret this phrase? Do Britons read that the same way I'M reading it, or differently?

~ Jenney
I read that the same way as you, and I think everyone else will say the same. 'Fixed around' would imply they altered/removed the facts.

-tom
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:34 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

So... How do YOU interpret this phrase?
"Rigged" would be correct.

I interpret it to mean that the intelligence and facts were secondary to the policy - that the decision had been made, the policy established, and that justification was being retrospectively sought for it. They wanted a war and were casting around for a way of selling it to the public. Creepy Paul Wolfowitz admitted as such when he said in an interview that they settled on WMD as the issue to justify the war for "bureacratic reasons".

Read The Downing Street Memo in full here:

http://www.downingstreetmemo.com/memo.html
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=elfman]"Rigged" would be correct.

Agree that it means rigged. However, it is frightfully bad English - probably written by someone who wanted to convey 'rigged' but didn't have the guts to come out and say so.

Elvira
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I read it as "rigged" or "doctored to fit". I've tried to read it the other way to test it but that way it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:00 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I read it as "rigged" or "doctored to fit". I've tried to read it the other way to test it but that way it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
It didn't make sense to me, either, which is why I thought I'd ask.

One article has the following quote:

Robin Niblett of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think tank, says it would be easy for Americans to misunderstand the reference to intelligence being "fixed around" Iraq policy. " 'Fixed around' in British English means 'bolted on' rather than altered to fit the policy," he says.

When you replace "fixed around" with "bolted on" -- "But the intelligence and facts were being bolted on to the policy" -- it makes NO sense. I have no clue what that guy is talking about.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:06 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

'Fixed around' in British English means 'bolted on' rather than altered to fit the policy,"
Bollocks

As we say in British English.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Defo a botch job on the think tank guy...it means rigged which ever way you look at it...
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If they really meant "bolted on" they should have written "affixed to" .... which is proper in either American or British English but Americans tend to not understand "affixed" as easily as they would "bolted."

Most "spin" is poorly written because it's.... spin. Spunk, really.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Bollocks

As we say in British English.

Hear hear - Bollox indeed
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I read that the same way as you, and I think everyone else will say the same. 'Fixed around' would imply they altered/removed the facts.

-tom
The argument simply seems to be the difference between taking facts that fit with the policy and ignoring everything else (if there was anything else), and deliberately twisting facts to fit with the policy.

Looking at it that way, taking the facts that do fit is bolting them on, deliberately twisting them would mean it was "doctored to fit" (to borrow a phrase from another poster). The phrase is ambiguous as I would think you could argue that the phrase "fixed around" could be used for both scenarios. Either way they both involve a level of deception if the first means leaving out some facts.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:25 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

~ Jenney
Reading it either way implies the same end result to me...