Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English Teacher seeks employment in USA

English Teacher seeks employment in USA

Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Teacher seeks employment in USA

Originally Posted by Dan725
My cousin did her exchange 2004-2007. I agree, economy on both sides of Atlantic changed since then and no doubt these sort of exchange programs will be suffering a bit as they might be seen by bean counters as unnessecary.

But I feel still a more viable way/option of coming over than a lot of people have.
My sister's neighbour did an exchange at the beginning of this academic year, she's an art teacher. She exchanged from a school in Wiltshire to one in the Philly burbs I think.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

Its very possible, the only concern now is the lack of H1B's, my wife was visiting me on vacation, applied for some teaching jobs, got offered almost every one she went for, then we applied for a H1-B and she got one and started work
Now though you got like 50% chance of getting a H1-B as they are over subscribed. Don't let the doom mongers stop you from trying!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyghiggins
Now though you got like 50% chance of getting a H1-B as they are over subscribed.
haha.. you should look at this year's numbers. As of Friday, I think the cap had not yet been filled. (the past several years it's been a lottery from the first day's worth of applicants on April 1)
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
haha.. you should look at this year's numbers. As of Friday, I think the cap had not yet been filled. (the past several years it's been a lottery from the first day's worth of applicants on April 1)
wow!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

markhaggis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markhaggis
Can anyone tell me how easy it is for me to gain employment, in the US, as an English Teacher. I have just qualified to teach English at secondary school level. I'm aware I have to get my qualifications recognized by the state I wish to work, but does anyone know if there is anything else I need to do or have already moved to the US as a Teacher?
Thanks for all the replies, even the negative ones. A special thanks to the newcomer who told me about the British schools. I have had a look at them and they have plenty of jobs on offer and they only recruit Brits, so I'll be applying to them; failing that I'll wait a few more years until the majority of the American population is obese, as there will be a shortage of workers as they will all be laid on extra strong beds eating McDonalds.

Last edited by markhaggis; Apr 30th 2009 at 7:44 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markhaggis
I'll wait a few more years until the majority of the American population is obese, as there will be a shortage of workers as they will all be laid on extra strong beds eating McDonalds.
Can't wait to have you here!
(can I have Wendy's burgers instead? I hate McD's)
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Mexxie. I want a #4.

Hey wait, what about all that greasy food known as fish 'n chips in the UK?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hey wait, what about all that greasy food known as fish 'n chips in the UK?
It's natural grease though, not chemically-synthesized muck. And it usually supports a family, not a bloody corporate CEO's freakin bonus.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's natural grease though, not chemically-synthesized muck. And it usually supports a family, not a bloody corporate CEO's freakin bonus.
I went to look up how many McDonald's stores are franchise-owned vs corporate-owned so I could neener neener you but this is too good!

Queen owns a McDonald's
The Queen owns a drive-through McDonald's burger restaurant, the Royal accounts have revealed.

In Slough, no less!
Old May 1st 2009, 12:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I went to look up how many McDonald's stores are franchise-owned vs corporate-owned so I could neener neener you but this is too good!

Queen owns a McDonald's
The Queen owns a drive-through McDonald's burger restaurant, the Royal accounts have revealed.

In Slough, no less!
It'll be back with the people when we finally line them all up against the wall along with that bloody St John-Stevas.. Nice find, though!
Old May 1st 2009, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It'll be back with the people when we finally line them all up against the wall along with that bloody St John-Stevas.. Nice find, though!
heh.. made me google! Did you write this wiki entry?

Lord St John is noted for his large number of personal affectations, including proffering his hand in papal fashion, lapsing into Latin while speaking, and deliberately mispronouncing modern words.[1] A loyal monarchist, Lord St John enjoys a close relationship with the British royal family[4] that has been described as sycophantic.[5] Soon after elevation to the Lords, photographs of him in purple bedroom slipper appeared in Hello! magazine lounging in the bedroom of his Northampton rectory a signed photograph of the late Princess Margaret prominently displayed. All personal notes were written in purple ink and after his elevation to the Lords, he used only official House of Lords headed stationery.

Old May 1st 2009, 1:01 am
Septicity

heh.. made me google! Did you write this wiki entry?

Lord St John is noted for his large number of personal affectations, including proffering his hand in papal fashion, lapsing into Latin while speaking, and deliberately mispronouncing modern words.[1] A loyal monarchist, Lord St John enjoys a close relationship with the British royal family[4] that has been described as sycophantic.[5] Soon after elevation to the Lords, photographs of him in purple bedroom slipper appeared in Hello! magazine lounging in the bedroom of his Northampton rectory a signed photograph of the late Princess Margaret prominently displayed. All personal notes were written in purple ink and after his elevation to the Lords, he used only official House of Lords headed stationery.

Actually, I'd probably be quite happy if it were just him against the wall -- he was one of Thatcher's henchmen. The rest of the motley crew can be given a council house in Basildon, and the dole to live on.