Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English sausages in America

English sausages in America

Old May 17th 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English sausages in America

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Has anyone tried making their own sausages? its can't be that difficult ...
Its not. The hardest bit to do seems to be getting the skins.
Old May 18th 2013, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Its not. The hardest bit to do seems to be getting the skins.
Getting them is easy, they're in lots of grocery stores, down my way at least and online...it's the loading of them without a sausage attachment that's messy....
Old May 18th 2013, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Getting them is easy, they're in lots of grocery stores, down my way at least and online...it's the loading of them without a sausage attachment that's messy....
Something else to look forward to when we move.
Old May 19th 2013, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into making them, its seems there is some debate on whether to use breadcrumbs or rusk. And the addition of a some pork belly meat to the lean pork mince.
Old May 19th 2013, 9:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into making them, its seems there is some debate on whether to use breadcrumbs or rusk. And the addition of a some pork belly meat to the lean pork mince.
Rusk would be better for a texture thing, but it's not every day kind of grocery find...and I can't be bothered with getting it online.

Breadcrumbs work well enough...though a good cheat is to just use the sage and onion stuffing mix, got all the herbs in it and it makes it quick and cheap to put together.
Old May 19th 2013, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Rusk would be better for a texture thing, but it's not every day kind of grocery find...and I can't be bothered with getting it online.

Breadcrumbs work well enough...though a good cheat is to just use the sage and onion stuffing mix, got all the herbs in it and it makes it quick and cheap to put together.

Why not make your own rusk? Its just a biscuit mixture with no egg. Just mix some flour, baking powder, water, and salt together and bake.

Making my own sausage is on my to do list. It looks like a meat grinder and sausage stuffer would be the initial investment required.
Old May 19th 2013, 10:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Why not make your own rusk? Its just a biscuit mixture with no egg. Just mix some flour, baking powder, water, and salt together and bake.

Making my own sausage is on my to do list. It looks like a meat grinder and sausage stuffer would be the initial investment required.
I hadn't really thought of it, but then it's only me that really likes sausages, so I couldn't be bothered to go to that much effort for me.

I just make sausage shaped patties and freeze them. The Ninja food blender does a pretty good job of pulsing the pork.

Kids will eat a turkey sausage made from thighs though. Weird little buggers.