British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   English Expat shot dead in Dallas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/english-expat-shot-dead-dallas-438076/)

anotherlimey Mar 29th 2007 1:26 am

Re: English Expat shot dead in Dallas

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4575580)
Good!

I'm calling my friends now to quiz them on their music preference, I'll be asking them to rate opera music on a scale of 1-10; anyone who gives it more than 8 will be disowned!

Elvira Mar 29th 2007 1:27 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 4575585)
I'm calling my friends now to quiz them on their music preference, I'll be asking them to rate opera music on a scale of 1-10; anyone who gives it more than 8 will be disowned!

I think it is quite sick that you equate love of guns with love of opera...

anotherlimey Mar 29th 2007 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4575587)
I think it is quite sick that you equate love of guns with love of opera...

You don't have to "love" guns to want to be able to protect yourself with one.

BTW, The comment was tongue-in-cheek. :rolleyes:

Elvira Mar 29th 2007 1:34 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 4575594)
You don't have to "love" guns to want to be able to protect yourself with one.

BTW, The comment was tongue-in-cheek. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it was. I am sorry, but I absolutely hate weapons and violence of any kind.

NC Penguin Mar 29th 2007 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4575539)
I would not want knowingly to associate with anyone who carries a weapon of any kind.

... but many items can be used as weapons even though this is not their primary purpose. e.g. golf club, penknife, tennis ball, plastic bag full of oranges (got this from The Grifters). I think you get the picture.

anotherlimey Mar 29th 2007 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4575605)
I'm sure it was. I am sorry, but I absolutely hate weapons and violence of any kind.

Actually, it was more aimed at the futility of your "quest" - to associate only with people who aren't carrying a weapon - for two reasons, 1) there are so many different types of weapon, and 2) a new person might just not tell you.

Elvira Mar 29th 2007 1:49 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4575633)
... but many items can be used as weapons even though this is not their primary purpose. e.g. golf club, penknife, tennis ball, plastic bag full of oranges (got this from The Grifters). I think you get the picture.

That is not the point, as you jolly well know.

There is a huge difference between someone, either in a fit of temper or in response to an attack, using something that can be used as weapon - as opposed to carrying a weapon whose sole purpose is to harm someone.

I am sorry, but I simply do not want to have any association with anyone who carries a weapon. Luckily I live in a place where gun ownership is rare - and people here seem to manage just fine without them.

mozoo Mar 29th 2007 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Texas Mom (Post 4573722)
As texas_ranger says, this news has completely shocked us.
I've just returned from grocery shopping and was paying particular attention to the idiot behind me weaving in and out on a two land road trying to get by me at the earliest opportunity. I couldn't help but think what that poor woman last night must have been feeling like to have your husband slumped in the seat next to you, it scares the hell out of me and what about the poor son. I honestly have tears in my eyes as I type. Who the hell do these people think they are that they can open fire and take away a husband and a father in one swift move then go home and sleep in their beds at night!!!
I hope the bastard who is responsible for this burns in hell.

I so agree with you on this. And it really doesn't matter what nationality the poor man was. A life was snuffed out with no regard to the impact upon the family.

NC Penguin Mar 29th 2007 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4575649)
That is not the point, as you jolly well know.

There is a huge difference between someone, either in a fit of temper or in response to an attack, using something that can be used as weapon - as opposed to carrying a weapon whose sole purpose is to harm someone.

I am sorry, but I simply do not want to have any association with anyone who carries a weapon. Luckily I live in a place where gun ownership is rare - and people here seem to manage just fine without them.

You seem to be lumping all (legal) firearms owners who conceal carry together. Now I've been to gun ranges and my shooting club often enough to see and know that people from all walks of life own and shoot firearms. I wouldn't want to socialize with all of them because I suspect I would have little in common with them but I don't ostracize them because they uphold their right to conceal carry.

Ray Mar 29th 2007 2:10 am

I can guarantee some of the people you know are gun owners ...
You know I carry a gun and own plenty ... are you going to be
true to your first sentence ...unlikely ...

Pony Mar 29th 2007 2:38 am

Its all perspective Elvira, you use emotive words like "sole purpose is to harm someone" when in fact it is really to defend oneself. Carrying a gun does not equate to being forced in to using it in any circumstance, it doesn't remove an individuals choice. I still have a choice in whether I draw and shoot my weapon (in fact the law here states if I draw my weapon it can only be to shoot it, I cannot draw it to scare someone away - it must be imminent danger).

If I see something or I am exposed to something that is wrong I have a choice as to whether I draw my weapon. Just because I carry a gun it doesn't mean I will use it unnecessarily. I hope I never need to use for more than fun at the range.

scenario:
A child is being gang raped and tortured, a gun lies nearby - do you watch or do you use the gun?

This is the real world Elvira, some nasty people share it with the rest of us.
Your choice in music differentiates you, it does not elevate you

as opposed to carrying a weapon whose sole purpose is to harm someone.

Elvira Mar 29th 2007 2:51 am

No one can keep track of a gun at all times, every minute of the day. The idea that guns protect is a fallacy. I have never come across anyone, or heard of someone, whose life was saved because they carried a gun, or conversely, someone who was harmed because they did not carry a gun.

Our next-door-neighbour owns a gun, but he is an exception. I keep as far away from him as possible. I am confident that none of my friends and acquaintances carry guns.

Guns are dangerous and kill more people accidentally, through heat of the moment murder, or suicide, than they save. The whole idea of people walking around with concealed weapons is both scary and sick.

(And I have absolutely no idea what my taste in music has got to do with any of this...)

anotherlimey Mar 29th 2007 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4575766)
No one can keep track of a gun at all times, every minute of the day. The idea that guns protect is a fallacy. I have never come across anyone, or heard of someone, whose life was saved because they carried a gun, or conversely, someone who was harmed because they did not carry a gun.

There's plenty of people that have been saved by guns, but that's not as interesting for the news outlets. Recent cases I can think of include a Walmart worker saved by a CCW holder when someone tried to stab her, and a guy who defended himself against a car-jacker.

You can read a loads of news stories about these "successful" uses on packing.org (you'll have to look in the forums for links to the news stories).

Guns are dangerous and kill more people accidentally, through heat of the moment murder, or suicide, than they save.

You're wrong there too. Plus no one keeps track of defensive situations involving firearms.

Anyway, you're not supposed to be talking to us! :D

anotherlimey Mar 29th 2007 3:07 am

Here's one - only in Florida!

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Reminds me of a Miami Vice episode!

Here's a whole list for you Elvira:

http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefe...g/blogger.html

PS: I know you're not going to comment as you can't associate yourself with me! :)

But I'll still talk to you, even though I don't like opera!

Ray Mar 29th 2007 3:10 am

The idea that guns protect is a fallacy. any of this...)

There you go a few ...

http://www.wagc.com/GunsSaveLives.html
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...=2007703050350
http://www.commongroundcommonsense.o...hp/t20809.html
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=30407