British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   English Expat shot dead in Dallas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/english-expat-shot-dead-dallas-438076/)

Rete Mar 28th 2007 9:54 pm

Re: English Expat shot dead in Dallas

Here's the complete story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.acc8114.html

Apparently they are Texans who lived the last 7 years in England and had just returned home as he took a new job.

She was the driver and he was the passenger.

Bob Mar 28th 2007 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 4574605)
As a person from Texas I can speak for every single person in Texas because apparently we're all alike..... yes we all assume it is just fine to shoot people who piss us off in traffic.... Furthermore, we all have 27 guns in our cars, grenade launchers strapped to our backs and lumps of coal in place of our hearts. :rolleyes: Yee-ha.

what, you mean you all don't? :lol:

Anyway, do feel sorry for the family, and if they are Brits, and he was the one with the primary visa, what does that mean for their status? booted? that would be harsh.

Texas Mom Mar 28th 2007 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4574931)
what, you mean you all don't? :lol:

Anyway, do feel sorry for the family, and if they are Brits, and he was the one with the primary visa, what does that mean for their status? booted? that would be harsh.

They are American, been living in England for the past seven years.
They recently moved back to TX for him to start a new job.

Pony Mar 28th 2007 10:19 pm

As a responsible gun owner I find your statement uninformed. Guns do not kill people, people kill people.
More people die from traffic accidents than gun crime, do you suggest we take all cars off the road?

I carry a handgun every day, its my legal right to do so. I don't kill people who cut me up in traffic, or 'look at me the wrong way'.
The castle doctrine is a great piece of legislation, it is designed to offer protection against being sued by the deceased's family of the guy who broke in to your house to rob you and murder anyone who got in their way of a crack fix. The right is a part of the constitution, if you don't like it then leave.

Originally Posted by gsnichol (Post 4573519)
Whilst looking for the article on MSNBC I came across this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17820464/

I sincerely hope people in Texas now don't just assume they have carte blanche to open fire when road raged.

gsnichol Mar 28th 2007 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pony (Post 4575014)
Guns do not kill people, people kill people.

Correct, but the gun helps. A gun is probably the only thing that can be manufactured legally, purchased legally, carried legally and, when used for it's intended purpose, will kill. Fortunately the overwhelming majority of gun owners have an ounce of common sense. Problems and tragedies arise when they fall into the hands of those lacking common sense.

Just because one has a 'right' to do something - anything - doesn't mean one has to do it, and with rights come serious and heavy responsibilities. I feel great sadness when an innocent person dies because someone ignores those responsibilities.

Rete Mar 29th 2007 12:31 am

Originally Posted by gsnichol (Post 4575271)
Correct, but the gun helps.

So does a knife, a crowbar, a tire wrench, a fist, etc. The only way to ban guns is to stop their manufacture. Now tell me that is about to happen. For the majority of gun owners, they are responsible people who have a gun either for protection, hunting or sport. They did not purchase it strictly to go out and kill someone because their psyche is out of wack. For mentally deranged people, getting an illegal gun is easy.

elfman Mar 29th 2007 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 4575432)
They did not purchase it strictly to go out and kill someone because their psyche is out of wack. For mentally deranged people, getting an illegal gun is easy.

The problem is that getting a legal gun is also easy for mentally deranged people in many places.

Elvira Mar 29th 2007 1:08 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 4575538)
The problem is that getting a legal gun is also easy for mentally deranged people in many places.

I would not want knowingly to associate with anyone who carries a weapon of any kind.

Molly Malone Mar 29th 2007 1:20 am

[QUOTE=Rete;4575432]So does a knife, a crowbar, a tire wrench, a fist, etc. QUOTE]

Hear, hear!!

anotherlimey Mar 29th 2007 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4575539)
I would not want knowingly to associate with anyone who carries a weapon of any kind.

They probably don't want to associate themselves with you either. :p

Molly Malone Mar 29th 2007 1:21 am

No offense sweetheart but I think you do every day on BE. We're not all killers you know!

Pony Mar 29th 2007 1:22 am

Just because one has a 'right' to do something - anything - doesn't mean one has to do it...

I don't carry my gun because I have the 'right' to do so, I carry it because I 'choose' to do so.

Correct, but the gun helps. A gun is probably the only thing that can be manufactured legally, purchased legally, carried legally and, when used for it's intended purpose, will kill.

Actually when used according to the law a gun is to be used to stop someone, not execute someone - we leave that for the judicial system. You don't have the right to kill someone, you have the right to defend yourself or a third party - there is a big difference.

Problems and tragedies arise when they fall into the hands of those lacking common sense.

Problems and tragedies occur when cars fall into the hands of those lacking common sense.

I believe the real story here is the sad and tragic waste of a human life. It sickens me that the anti-gun brigade will try and use this for their agenda . . .

anotherlimey Mar 29th 2007 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Molly Malone (Post 4575567)
No offense sweetheart but I think you do every day on BE. We're not all killers you know!

I can only imagine it's because she can't "pat us down"... :rofl:

Pony Mar 29th 2007 1:24 am

I respect your choice Elvira.

Elvira Mar 29th 2007 1:24 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 4575565)
They probably don't want to associate themselves with you either. :p

Good!