Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English Accents Changing...

English Accents Changing...

Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all
Default Re: English Accents Changing...

Been over here for a little over 11 years now and the wife (USC) is constantly complaining that I've lost my accent. I still have lots of Americans ask me where I'm from, I've run the gamut from New England to New Zealand/Australia.
I know that I've changed my accent to fit in, I was sick of constantly repeating myself. When I was much younger and lived in Worksop I had a very strong accent but then I started to move around (dad was in the army) and eventually I had a very neutral sounding accent.
I just need to go back to the UK for a holiday and I'll get right back into it

Roy
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Some people retain their native accent no matter where they are or who they are listening to.

I'm an accent chameleon. If I hear another accent that's within my reach I'll start to modulate to it (Canadian, most English accents, Northern Irish accent, some Scots accents). I do this without even realising it.

Luckily for me I spend my days largely speaking to other Americans or folks for whom English is a second language (like my husband).
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:25 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cassandra_trotter
Never realisized there were thick twats in Brum though that belonged to Walsall
Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power

Honesty at its finest ....
The most annoying thing is when I meet other British expats who ask me where I'm from.
When I tell them a large percentage say.
"Oh ..........Beeeeeeeeming-UM!!!!! " in a fake Brummie accent

It was a hilarious novelty the first dozen times
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:21 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I've been here over five years and I've not lost my British accent. I live in the South too. Still can't say "y'all" correctly... but then again, it's not a word I'm like to use.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, neither can I,
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: English Accents Changing...

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
We have been in PA for 2 Years and 3 months and have two boys aged 6 & 11.

Both my husband and I are English and still do PG tips, bacon butties etc. etc. I doubt if we will ever give up our British cuppa..

But, for fun and interest I would like to know how long we have to be here for our accents to change. I never want to change my (Londonish) English accent and don't feel that it's changed too much so far, apart from saying "You Guys" to the Kids and "right?" at the end of sentences.

My Kids are weird, my 6 year old mainly has an American accent with English bits and pieces and my 11 year just chops and changes, depending on whose around e.g He talks with an English accent at home, but as soon as an American is around, he switches on a full American accent.

I think maybe because we are not married to Americans, that we will keepo our accents for longer...right? Tee Hee..

I would be interested in your view.

Also I can't tell you how many times people have asked me if I'm Australian because of my London twang (not as bad as Geico ads) - I just say yes, just to keep them happy and they feel very pleased with themselves.

One last thing is I am so homesick at the moment for the UK, even though I am enjoying myself here most of the time...is it PMS? (Blokes - I know you won't understand that one...)

Cheers, still enjoy the threads on this board.
I think you really only lose your British accent if you choose to do so. I think after a while the accent changes to a mix of American/English.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:41 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
I think you really only lose your British accent if you choose to do so. I think after a while the accent changes to a mix of American/English.
I agree. I would say I speak American with an English accent.

I wouldn't want to try to make a full change, it might come out as phony as G W Bush's Texas accent.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

I get asked every bloody day where I am from. Its either are you Irish or Australian. Errmm...neither thanx Im British.

I really do not see myself losing my accent at all, however I have only been over here for a year. People at work always try and get me to say american stuff for their amusement and I refuse to do it cos I sound like a right idiot.

Just trying to buying stamps yesterday was a chore!. I asked the cashier for stamps at least 5 times, she thought I was asking for stumps!in the end I said "postage stamps, to send a letter" and she looked at me as if I was stupid!.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

JacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
We have been in PA for 2 Years and 3 months and have two boys aged 6 & 11.

Both my husband and I are English and still do PG tips, bacon butties etc. etc. I doubt if we will ever give up our British cuppa..

But, for fun and interest I would like to know how long we have to be here for our accents to change. I never want to change my (Londonish) English accent and don't feel that it's changed too much so far, apart from saying "You Guys" to the Kids and "right?" at the end of sentences.

My Kids are weird, my 6 year old mainly has an American accent with English bits and pieces and my 11 year just chops and changes, depending on whose around e.g He talks with an English accent at home, but as soon as an American is around, he switches on a full American accent.

I think maybe because we are not married to Americans, that we will keepo our accents for longer...right? Tee Hee..

I would be interested in your view.

Also I can't tell you how many times people have asked me if I'm Australian because of my London twang (not as bad as Geico ads) - I just say yes, just to keep them happy and they feel very pleased with themselves.

One last thing is I am so homesick at the moment for the UK, even though I am enjoying myself here most of the time...is it PMS? (Blokes - I know you won't understand that one...)

Cheers, still enjoy the threads on this board.
If you want to lose your accent you will. The main thing is the choice of words to make people understand. I find myself using the American version but still with a British accent, and I have been her 42 years. I had a tough time with my kids when they had spelling tests and I had to quiz them on the words, they were always saying, MUM, you don't say it that way. Like, Bath, Grass etc.
I WILL NEVER lose my accent, even though it does waver now and then.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:44 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
20 years and I still sound like a thick twat.......... I mean a Brummie
10 years for me and still a thick twat.

I purposefully become an even thicker twat (if possible) whenever the outlaws visit, much to the chagrin of Mrs Titchski
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl
I get asked every bloody day where I am from. Its either are you Irish or Australian. Errmm...neither thanx Im British.

I really do not see myself losing my accent at all, however I have only been over here for a year. People at work always try and get me to say american stuff for their amusement and I refuse to do it cos I sound like a right idiot.

Just trying to buying stamps yesterday was a chore!. I asked the cashier for stamps at least 5 times, she thought I was asking for stumps!in the end I said "postage stamps, to send a letter" and she looked at me as if I was stupid!.
We Yanks can have the same problem in different parts of the country-years ago when I moved from New England to Ohio, I worked with a gal originally from Kentucky. She asked me to hand her a "pin". Since we were in an office I asked her what kind of pin she wanted? She looked at me strangely and said-an ink "pin."
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

cassandra_trotter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
We Yanks can have the same problem in different parts of the country-years ago when I moved from New England to Ohio, I worked with a gal originally from Kentucky. She asked me to hand her a "pin". Since we were in an office I asked her what kind of pin she wanted? She looked at me strangely and said-an ink "pin."
yeah stupid arent they im always being asked to repeat myself, grrrrrr:curse:
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

So why do we get asked if we're Australian? I hardly ever meet Aussies here and there's seldom an Aussie programme on the telly so why start with that as a guess???
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
20 years and I still sound like a Brummie
I'll agree with you there
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
So why do we get asked if we're Australian? I hardly ever meet Aussies here and there's seldom an Aussie programme on the telly so why start with that as a guess???
Most seldom see a British programs on the telly.
Maybe because Americans are used to British accents that sound like Hugh Grant and Kate Winslet and Australian accents like Russell Crow that sound closer to most Brits.

My wife is from Yorkshire, when we lived in London she asked for soap and was directed to the soup aisle. When I was in Yorkshire when I said paper they heard piper. When I was to meet someone in the Buck pub I was looking for a Pub called the Book.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl

I had the same trouble buying stamps in France, bloody foreigners. :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.