Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is England expensive

Wikiposts

Is England expensive

Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is England expensive

Originally Posted by traceym
Kwik Save, mmmmmmmmm maybe thats worse but Asda beats the rest, have you seen the people buying the 3.99 size 30 bikini's???????????????
So there ya go.
proof that England is not expensive.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
So there ya go.
proof that England is not expensive.
OK you proved it!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Have you been reading the Daily Mail or the Daily Express?
I read the Daily Mail on a fairly regular basis and I have to admit it does tell it as it really is many a time. The problem with many people, sadly, is that they do not wish to confront actual truth as actual truth is often quite painful. The DM does concentrate on matters such as the appalling abuse of the UK social welfare system by fraudulent and undeserving idle drunken drugs addicted workshy gits and over fecund career baby machines often impregnated by the afore mentioned idle gits. Also abusing the welfare system are foreign infiltrators sometimes working in organised gangs, and the last ("New" Labour) Government resolutely failed to deal effectively with this massive problem - but things are now set to change in that respect..hopefully. The present Coalition Government is not dependent on the social welfare scroungers for votes as was the last lot who proved their madness by their methods.

As for the muslims in this country - the vast majority of them are decent, honest, law abiding people living productive and satisfactory lives like most people, and when it comes to basic morals and standards of common decency they can really teach the indigenous people of the UK a thing or two.

In just about any group of people in any kind of organisation bad apples will always exist.

As for quality goods the much derided Primark does sell some pretty decent men's clothes in my opinion but I can't say I would ever rely on it by any means - I'd rather go to Marks and Sparks as they are not as "boring" as they used to be. Downmarket Lidl stores are quite good as well for quality foods at affordable prices - it's like a downmarket Waitrose which really is top banana for quality foodstuffs - really great stuff there. The larger Tersco stores are like Aladdin's caves for just about anything and everything and I still have £40 in gift vouchers to spend there sometime, probably in the electronics line.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Sep 28th 2010 at 7:41 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:57 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

pros and cons for both.
I'm not sure where 'the quality of clothes are better in the UK than us' comes from though???
The vast majority of 'off the rack clothing' comes from either india or china, so it makes no difference what country its sold in.
Primark to me is like Walmart clothing= the occasional bargain but otherwise crap.
(the muslim thing is over played, I dont see that many in the UK but then im not in a muslim area, my accountant is muslim and I love him to bits!)

Last edited by goldenstate31; Sep 30th 2010 at 5:59 am. Reason: add ons!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Beer served in bars in the US is almost always bad value when compared to the UK (it also goes without saying that I'm talking about proper beer that's actually worth drinking).

In Boston, for example, it's quite normal to pay $6 a pint for a decent craft beer. The first calculation would be to convert that to a British pint equivalent, so $6.00/473*568 = $7.21. Then add in a typical $1 tip (as service is already included in the cost of your UK pint) - so now it's $8.21. At today's exchange rate that's £5.18 a pint, and that's assuming you get a reliable full U.S. pint at your chosen Bostonian establishment (definately not a reliable assumption to make, whereas the UK has improved drastically in this area over the last 10 years or so IMO).

Some places are more expensive than Boston (e.g. NYC many places approaching $7 and/or making 14oz 'pints' the norm) but I also recognize that many parts of the country (e.g. out West) are cheaper. Here is a rough rule of thumb then based on the calculations above:

US pint/UK equivalent

$7.00 - £5.95
$6.00 - £5.18
$5.00 - £4.42
$4.00 - £3.66
$3.00 - £2.90

The average cost of a pint in the UK a year ago was £2.68 although in my experience of heavy drinking throughout the London area within the last 12 months £3.50 is more likely as an average in the capital. London therefore has some way to go before it catches up even with Boston, let alone New York, and the rest of the UK is significantly cheaper than my experience of drinking in a number of places across the U.S. Save the Otter Creek/VT example cited earlier there aren't many places even out on the west coast that you'll get a decent beer below, say, $3.50 outside of a happy hour.

The one exception I can think of is if you're prepared to drink crap. I'm sure there are places that serve up BMC etc. for cheap, whereas in the UK slop like Stella, Heineken, Grolsch etc. is somehow considered 'premium' (aah.. the power of marketing) and charged for accordingly.
Thats the most structured, well thought out post I've ever seen from you Tonrob, obviously a subject very close to your heart
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Thats the most structured, well thought out post I've ever seen from you Tonrob, obviously a subject very close to your heart
Sorry about that - back to my incoherent rambling again now... Expect another good one in six months or so.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Sorry about that - back to my incoherent rambling again now... Expect another good one in six months or so.
As an update on the beer situation, I went out to the Firehouse Pub in Ashburnham on Tuesday night and got pretty hammered. The problem I have in this country is the service and the tip is only the half of it. You have just finished getting your pint down and as soon as this happens the waitress/barlady appears from nowhere and says 'can I get you another one ?'. I don't have any will power so the answer is always yes and as a result I was pretty merry in no time flat. Back in the UK this wasn't so much of an issue because you had to go up to the bar and pay, thus leaving an interval for sobriety to set in. The Wahcusett Ale is $3.50; the Bud was actually free at one stage but I still wouldn't drink it!

The worst part of the evening was that my father in law gave the waitress a big slap on the arse as she walked away (we still got good service after that though). I also got whupped at darts by the locals so I'm really letting my country down at the moment.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Oct 1st 2010 at 3:18 am.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
nothing wrong with Asda....

It's not exactly Netto.
Well...actually....
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Well...actually....
OMG, it gets worse
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Nicole5446 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought clothes were much too expensive in the UK...except at Primark!! But I think it's easier to escape with a smaller grocery bill in the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

Returning to the original post, no, England is not expensive. From living in England most of my life then moving to USA (South Carolina and California) in April, I've found:
  • Groceries in England are generally either the same price or cheaper (I'm not talking about the genetically modified pre-packaged chicken nugget turkey twizzler type of crap; I've no idea what that poison costs either side of the Atlantic - I'm talking about fruit, vegetables, bread etc, preferably organic - I don't like eating salmon plus a virus in my strawberries). Some items, such as bread and cheese, are outrageously expensive here. Most shops here do not have a "special area" of hugely discounted foods near their sell-by date.

• The influx of everything made in China has levelled the prices of most consumer goods in USA and UK. A decade or so back, even removing the exchange rate fluctuations, "stuff" generally was much cheaper in the US. But some higher end stuff like Apple computers and big TVs are still cheaper here. As a random test, I googled "plasma TV", found a Samsung 50" PN50C550. According to Google shopping, the best US price is $865, compared to $955 in UK (at 1.59 exchange rate). Not much in it, but a very unscientific test.

• Beer (in bars/pubs) has been covered by a previous post, and I agree - more expensive here, when you add on the expected tip, plus tax. But get yourself a margarita, and you're quids in in USA.

• Council tax (or whatever it's called) in the US is cripplingly expensive.

• Healthcare's been covered - having lived in a few bits of the globe, I've experienced healthcare that is virtually free, but abysmal (Cyprus) healthcare that is reasonably priced, but slow* (NHS) and healthcare that is bankrupt-inducingly ridiculous, but is quick and reasonably effective** (USA).
*I say the NHS is slow, because I hear and read about long waiting lists, but, fortunately, the only time I've needed hospital treatment (for a very impacted wisdom tooth extraction), it went like this: I went to the dentist. Dentist said "you need that tooth out, I'll make a hospital appointment for you. Which hospital do you want to go to?" I chose the one half a mile from home. A couple of days later, I received an appointment card from the hospital, which I put aside to look at later. A few days later, I got a call from the hospital asking why I didn't show up - I hadn't even had the chance to look when the appointment was! I just assumed it'd be weeks/months away. Anyway, the lady said "do you want to reschedule it? When would you like?" So I said "same time next week?" "Yep, fine". Went in, had some morphine (WOWWWW!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!), woke up, job done. Super.

**I don't know if the short life-span of the average American can be blamed on healthcare or obesity.
  • Cheapish runabout cars (I'm not talking about old bangers) are more expensive here, but higher-end cars are cheaper than in the UK, but most cars are often a lower spec than their UK/Europe versions. You've possibly seen the Top Gear test drives of US cars - the interior is made from "old wheelie bins" etc. etc. But if you want a 5-litre monster here, go ahead - it won't cost a fortune to buy nor a large amount of road tax (but there is vehicle tax here - except it goes to fund schools and firemen. Very odd.) And car dealers in USA are far less willing to do a deal to get the sale, which seems very un-American.

• As we all know, petrol in UK is just frighteningly expensive. It's 53p/litre in CA, and much less almost everywhere else in the US.

• On the subject of cars, you'll probably pay less in parking fees in a lifetime of US driving than you would in a week of London driving.

• ...but if you get caught speeding by 20mph over the limit, you can kiss goodbye to $450+, as a colleague of mine did last week.

• Houses in California are unbelievably expensive, even compared to South East England. I have absolutely no idea how people afford to buy them. And they are built from old cardboard with single-glazed windows so thin you could mistake them for cling film. Consequently, rental prices are also sky high.

• Internet access can be expensive - it's often bundled with hundreds of TV channels and could set you back well over $100 per month, but AT&T do their broad-ish-band 3MB for $14.95 per month though. Plus taxes and fees of course. Don't get a landline - the taxes and fees will be about $40 per month on top of line rental.

• Cellphone/mobile lines are more expensive in US - we had 2x O2 pay as you go deals in UK which worked out at about £10/month each. We now have 2x T-Mobile SIMs in our phones for $30 each, including taxes and fees (no contract). But we don't use internet on our phones.

• Hotels are waaay cheaper in USA than UK.

• Everything in USA is plus taxes and fees. The price you see is never the price you pay.
As I said, this is what I've noticed. I'm sure the situation varies across the US, and many people will disagree. But, from my experience, if finance is your major motivation, you'll be better off in England. It's not my major motivation - doing new and different stuff is mine. Which is why I'm here!

Lordy lordy...I've just seen the size of my post! Time to finish this off and slot it in the forum...in the best Finbarr Saunders (not the politician) sense.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is England expensive

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Lordy lordy...I've just seen the size of my post! Time to finish this off and slot it in the forum...in the best Finbarr Saunders (not the politician) sense.
More of Finbarr Saunders please, but not necessarily in a Finbarr Saunders kind of way....

Harry
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
More of Finbarr Saunders please, but not necessarily in a Finbarr Saunders kind of way....

Harry
In that case I shall refer you to my recent posting, located but a few inches away on this very hallowed of forums.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:48 am
Just Joined

JohnJ500 is an unknown quantity at this point

"I'd say Phoenix is about 2/3 cost of living in London"

I think London and New York would be a better comparison.
Or Phoenix and Manchester. Otherwise it's like comparing New York to Exeter, and it just doesn't compare.

I used to be convinced that everything was so much cheaper in the USA. But not anymore. not that I've made a scientific comparison. Just perceptions, for what they're worth. I go to Stop & Shop supermarkets and am just amazed at how expensive a loaf of bread is, when I used to think Sainsburys was getting incredibly expensive. Cheese like rubber, which is no cheaper than good cheese bought in the UK. Fair Trade...what's that? (it's not perfect in UK supermarkets, but it doesn't seem to exist in the USA). Veggie food, ha, it takes me so long to shop. I miss the Vegetarian Society logos. A Mac laptop is cheaper in the USA. Material goods, creates illusions. But I don't think it adds up. We have the NHS. You can start in a job and get 4 weeks off a year in the UK, not 2 in the USA. You can go to a diner and eat cheaply in the US, but the quality isn't always great and what proportion of US food is GM compared to UK? I would like to know.

I think it's just different. Having been to the US about 20 times in 20 years, I think the UK is so much better in so many ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.