Wikiposts

Engine Oil

Old Apr 10th 2004, 9:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
sure. But whilst it may not degrade, you are losing gunk and engine debris with the change??
BM
That is the "modern engine" factor. New cars (say, last 20 years) are made to much higher engineering standards and the engines shed less "gunk" as they bed-in, and wear.

Also full synthetic oil is a significantly better lubricant - anecdotally it is worth 5% on your fuel economy, and so there is less grinding of metal on metal, and therefore less debris in the oil.

I remember my father changing the oil in his car when I was a kid, per the service intervals, and what he drained out was filthy black oil. The oil in my cars' engines over the past six years that I have been using full sythetic oil is still a good clear color even when a service is due, it only has a slight mistiness of dirt in it. .... Maybe oil filters are also better than they used to be?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 10th 2004 at 9:51 am.