Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about the I-94 Form - Please Help Me!

Question about the I-94 Form - Please Help Me!

Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:16 am
Just Joined

cinesister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about the I-94 Form - Please Help Me!

I've just returned from the USA and Canada, where I was for 18 months. I was living/working in Canada, but I took two trips to the USA as well (one for 2 weeks, one for 3 months). When I returned to England, I was sorting through a drawer and found an old I-94 departure form that I got when I visited the USA in May 2001.

My question is: will the fact that I didn't surrender my I-94 in 2001 affect my chances when I attempt to emigrate out to the States in a few years time? I didn't even know I had it...I was only in the USA for a week, and I guess the Canadian authorities just didn't take my I-94 when I re-entered Canada.

I've obviously been to the USA twice since then, but both were just for trips to see friends, and not as a hopeful worker/immigrant, so I guess this I-94 isssue didn't affect me then.

If anyone can help me out with this issue, that would be great. I just discovered it, and I'm not sure how the I-94 thing works...someone from the airline took mine from me when I came home this time, so do the INS really check them, or are they just a waste of paper?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question about the I-94 Form - Please Help Me!

Hi
I found an I-94 card in my passport after returning from a trip in the USA and wondered the same. I had a petition pending for a GC too so was particularly worried but it turns out that I worried for nothing because it was never brought up or mentioned by immigration on my future trips - or when I was interviewed for my GC.

How I see it is the Airlines are usually responsible for collecting these cards on your return trips. If they don't collect it, or lose it after collecting it, can you really be held responsible? If it makes you feel better, you could mail it to the Embassy, but I really don't think it would make any difference. Anyone else on the forum think it's a problem?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I was considering mailing it to the Embassy, but because it's three years ago now, I'm wondering if they'd really care. And I don't have any proof that I left the USA when I did...I obviously don't have any boarding passes, and the Canadian border authorities didn't stamp my passport when I went back in. And of course, I didn't get stamped in the UK the week later, because I'm a UK citizen.

I'm glad to know that you didn't have any problems though. I got pulled aside on my last trip to the States, but I think that was more to do with the fact that I'd just been in Canada on a work and a study visa, and so they were concerned I was going to try and find work, when all I wanted to do was go see my friends and bum around in Los Angeles!

I figured that it was the airline's responsibility...and last week when I came home, the guy who checked me in at the Virgin desk took my I-94 from me, so that made me wonder how much they really pay attention to those things. I'm sure if every British citizen gets one when they go on holiday, they must go missing/not be turned in all the time.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Just to let you know...

I found this website, explaining what to do in this eventuality:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/ins/i94.htm

So I've decided to follow the directions and I'll send them a copy of my bank and credit card statements following my return to the UK as proof. Then if I keep copies of everything I submitted, at least I have evidence that I tried to return the form when I realised what had happened.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by cinesister
Just to let you know...

I found this website, explaining what to do in this eventuality:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/ins/i94.htm

So I've decided to follow the directions and I'll send them a copy of my bank and credit card statements following my return to the UK as proof. Then if I keep copies of everything I submitted, at least I have evidence that I tried to return the form when I realised what had happened.
You have found the correct procedure. If you were in Canada when you discovered it, you could have surrendered it at the consulate there in person, thus not requiring any evidence.

The Canadians are instructed not to take the I-94W unless you specifically ask them to. This is because the original I-94W can be used for re-entry from Canada. So it is not their fault that they did not take it.

In response to whatever's post:

"How I see it is the Airlines are usually responsible for collecting these cards on your return trips. If they don't collect it, or lose it after collecting it, can you really be held responsible? If it makes you feel better, you could mail it to the Embassy, but I really don't think it would make any difference. Anyone else on the forum think it's a problem?"

It may not be your fault, but it could become a pain in the arse for you if you are trying to adjust status or something like that. You are right though, it is relatively minor and can be overcome. It's just something you would want to get sorted if you can, so you don't have to deal with it later.