Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Enforcing a US Child Support & Alimony Order in the UK?

Enforcing a US Child Support & Alimony Order in the UK?

Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:44 am
Just Joined

usamommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enforcing a US Child Support & Alimony Order in the UK?

My ex is a british national and on his way to becoming a deadbeat dad. He has moved back to England and has not paid one dime in support. Is there any governmental agency in the UK which enforces a US support agreement or has reciprocity with the US. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I just don't know where to start...
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enforcing a US Child Support & Alimony Order in the UK?

Originally Posted by usamommy
I just don't know where to start...
Start here:

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_608.html
http://travel.state.gov/family/servi...port_2615.html
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:00 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

""Currently, the U.S. has Federal reciprocal arrangements in force with Australia, Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Branswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario; Czech Republic, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic.""

Not Britain it would seem.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
""Currently, the U.S. has Federal reciprocal arrangements in force with Australia, Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Branswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario; Czech Republic, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic.""

Not Britain it would seem.
Not at the federal level, but I think a state by state arrangement exists in some cases (the second link).

Not a child support lawyer, but I think this came up once before. Might be worth searching the forums.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:51 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Enforcing a US Child Support & Alimony Order in the UK?

It seems that you need to request that the order be enforced via the Child Support Agency....see second paragraph headed "If the Rules Do Not Apply":

http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/setup/apply-from-abroad.asp

http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/setup/remo-countries.asp (Applies in the USA unless you live in Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and District of Columbia)

Hope this helps and that you can get some support for your child...

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 20th 2007 at 2:54 am.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

usamommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It seems that you need to request that the order be enforced via the Child Support Agency....see second paragraph headed "If the Rules Do Not Apply":

http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/setup/apply-from-abroad.asp

http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/setup/remo-countries.asp (Applies in the USA unless you live in Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and District of Columbia)

Hope this helps and that you can get some support for your child...
Thanks so very much for this information! I really appreciate it!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:45 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi usamommy

I don't want to discourage you (and I've never had any dealings with them directly myself) but the Child Support Agency doesn't have a great reputation for efficiency, unfortunately. If you speak to them over the phone, you might want to keep a written log of everything and send/fax a summary of the conversation to them afterwards to add to the file. I have heard (and this is just third-hand rumor) that they are not very organized when it comes to filing. The light might be at the end of the tunnel but you're not quite at the station yet (if you see what I mean).

Good luck!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Hi usamommy

I don't want to discourage you (and I've never had any dealings with them directly myself) but the Child Support Agency doesn't have a great reputation for efficiency, unfortunately. If you speak to them over the phone, you might want to keep a written log of everything and send/fax a summary of the conversation to them afterwards to add to the file. I have heard (and this is just third-hand rumor) that they are not very organized when it comes to filing. The light might be at the end of the tunnel but you're not quite at the station yet (if you see what I mean).

Good luck!
my eldest who is 15, has received 40 dollars in child suport. Considering that the father was never in her life, from day one quite sad really. I have a piece of paper with the amount on it that he owes.....but its just a piece of paper. There must be laws to enforce payment.. but alas i think a problem that is rife and will continue well after i am dead and gone... child support is not top of a lot of peoples priorities
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
my eldest who is 15, has received 40 dollars in child suport. Considering that the father was never in her life, from day one quite sad really. I have a piece of paper with the amount on it that he owes.....but its just a piece of paper. There must be laws to enforce payment.. but alas i think a problem that is rife and will continue well after i am dead and gone... child support is not top of a lot of peoples priorities
Interestingly, in the U.S. a father (or mother for that case) can be put in jail for non-payment of child support. It is violating a court order I believe.

Just happened to think of this, doesn't help the OP of course
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
my eldest who is 15, has received 40 dollars in child suport.
Gods, what that must do to a person's mind (hers).
Bless her heart.