Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The end of the world

Wikiposts

The end of the world

Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:27 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of the world

Anyone interested in reading about it here is a good site.

http://influenzapandemic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by krizzy; Oct 10th 2005 at 4:38 am.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
The US media does a great job of scaremongering. The BBC does not usually engage in such activities, but it was still reported. There is a credible threat and it is the media's duty to report it. It is for the audience to think for themselves decide what to make of it. Sometimes it is nothing, but you would be upset if it was a big deal and no one reported it. Remember this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/4020391.stm

Hmmm....so how is reporting in the US scaremongering and reporting something on the BBC isn't? Not necessarily disagreeing with you. I don't watch news reports here, ever. I tend to like to read the news I obtain. And I usually read more than one report. I read Yahoo, CNN and the BBC, online of course.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:13 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There will be another flu pandemic because the flu mutates rapidly and is highly contagious. All one can do is wash one's hands often and try to stay away from those who are ill.

How far you go to stay away is up to you. Surgical mask, cabin in Montana, avoiding children (who are more likely to catch the flu)....
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There will be another flu pandemic because the flu mutates rapidly and is highly contagious. All one can do is wash one's hands often and try to stay away from those who are ill.

How far you go to stay away is up to you. Surgical mask, cabin in Montana, avoiding children (who are more likely to catch the flu)....
Shooting strangers on sight...
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Shooting strangers on sight...
Do they have to be strangers?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Do they have to be strangers?
No not at all. Infact I believe anyone is fair game now in florida.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:58 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm....so how is reporting in the US scaremongering and reporting something on the BBC isn't? Not necessarily disagreeing with you. I don't watch news reports here, ever. I tend to like to read the news I obtain. And I usually read more than one report. I read Yahoo, CNN and the BBC, online of course.

Since you ask, I think that the BBC tries to stay impartial and does its job, which is to report news. Many US versions report selected news and give opinions or slant reports. Not all, but enough to stop me from watching.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Since you ask, I think that the BBC tries to stay impartial and does its job, which is to report news. Many US versions report selected news and give opinions or slant reports. Not all, but enough to stop me from watching.
And the BBC never slants its reports concerning American news? Or maybe I'm confusing them with Sky.....
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:03 pm

And the BBC never slants its reports concerning American news? Or maybe I'm confusing them with Sky.....
You asked, and I gave my opinion. You're free to disagree.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're free to disagree.
I thought I did.... Anyway, I totally agree with you on US news, I don't watch it. But, its sad to think what people pick up from television.....it really is.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:18 pm

I thought I did.... Anyway, I totally agree with you on US news, I don't watch it. But, its sad to think what people pick up from television.....it really is.

No need to be confused - I just was acknowledging your right to disagree. Yo are right though - people can be so gullible, and the trouble is that people in influencial positions know it and take full advantage.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
The news is good at doing things like that. Look at SARS. Wow, such an epidemic
What I want to know is whaever happened to the thousands, nay tens of thousands that vCJD was going to kill in Britain? The statistics show that the deaths recorded for vCJD in Britain peaked in 2000 with a total that year of, ...... twenty-eight!

Since then there has been an almost uninterrupted decline in deaths attributable to vCJD, with just three so far this year. If the pattern continues there will be only two deaths next year, one the year after, and then .... ?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What I want to know is whaever happened to the thousands, nay tens of thousands that vCJD was going to kill in Britain? The statistics show that the deaths recorded for vCJD in Britain peaked in 2000 with a total that year of, ...... twenty-eight!

Since then there has been an almost uninterrupted decline in deaths attributable to vCJD, with just three so far this year. If the pattern continues there will be only two deaths next year, one the year after, and then .... ?
The truth is that they didnt know what was going to happen. A group of scientists predicted it and the media reported it. I'd like to think the BBC is above scaremongering, but we all know what sells tabloids.
I'd rather hear about the possibilities then find out we are all going to die when it is already happening...