Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunisations for pre school

Immunisations for pre school

Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Immunisations for pre school

I know this is a subject thats come up before but does anyone know what the deal is?
Son started pre-school a couple of weeks and we were given a form to be completed by his doctor. This had to be returned before he was allowed to start. The form had a section to be completed showing all his shots so far and a section regarding TB. This section basically gave the doctor a box to tick which showed that as my son is not in an at risk group for TB he didn't require the skin test. I checked with one member of staff at the school who confirmed this was o.k..
My son had previously had his first Hep B shot (for the green card appl.) but I forgot to take him back for the second one..doh! so they also gave him the second Hep B shot whilst filling in the form.
Just had a phone call from the school saying he needs another Hep B ( ) doctors are saying its not due until he's 5 and a TB skin test, as it required by law regardless of the form saying he does not need it if he's not at risk????
This is driving me insane, I've lost count of the number of injections my 2 kids have been subjected too since we came here.
Has anyone else had similar issues regarding schools? Did anyone have to jump through similar hoops to get their 2 year old into a pre-school for 6 hours a week?

Last edited by woodsey; Oct 10th 2005 at 6:21 pm. Reason: so annoyed I've forgotten how to spell...grrrr.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immunisations for pre school

Originally Posted by woodsey
I know this is a subject thats come up before but does anyone know what the deal is?
Son started pre-school a couple of weeks and we were given a form to be completed by his doctor. This had to be returned before he was allowed to start. The form had a section to be completed showing all his shots so far and a section regarding TB. This section basically gave the doctor a box to tick which showed that as my son is not in an at risk group for TB he didn't require the skin test. I checked with one member of staff at the school who confirmed this was o.k..
My son had previously had his first Hep B shot (for the green card appl.) but I forgot to take him back for the second one..doh! so they also gave him the second Hep B shot whilst filling in the form.
Just had a phone call from the school saying he needs another Hep B ( ) doctors are saying its not due until he's 5 and a TB skin test, as it required by law regardless of the form saying he does not need it if he's not at risk????
This is driving me insane, I've lost count of the number of injections my 2 kids have been subjected too since we came here.
Has anyone else had similar issues regarding schools? Did anyone have to jump through similar hoops to get their 2 year old into a pre-school for 6 hours a week?
Oh God woodsey, I was rushing around getting injections for my son as soon as we got here, although that was for middle school. Our insurance didn't start for a month either, I did know medical stuff was expensive here but!! Anyway, they seem to be very keen on the TB skin test, and the Hep B is a course of 3 injections. It seems to be the way it is here, difficult to argue with them
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:12 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get mine done for my son. They let him off the varicella (sp?) because he has had chicken pox. They are bizarre here the nurse sent him home and wouldn't readmit him withoit a doctor's note because he had a rash on his wrist (incidentally caused by the 10 or so of those rubber charity bands he was wearing at the time). The doctor was amazed!

Note about the Hep B. If you forget to complete the course you have to start again so your son has just had the first one again. Next one in a month and then 6 months I think. Can't recall, but then I forgot twice!!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I had to get mine done for my son. They let him off the varicella (sp?) because he has had chicken pox. They are bizarre here the nurse sent him home and wouldn't readmit him withoit a doctor's note because he had a rash on his wrist (incidentally caused by the 10 or so of those rubber charity bands he was wearing at the time). The doctor was amazed!

Note about the Hep B. If you forget to complete the course you have to start again so your son has just had the first one again. Next one in a month and then 6 months I think. Can't recall, but then I forgot twice!!!

Yes, I have got away with the varicella so far but they actually want proper doctor's letters to say they have had chicken pox which I don't have. Isn't it better for the kids to have SOME illnesses?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:03 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, Woodsey, sorry you're having to through all this. We didn't have any problems with our 2 year old as her shots seemed to be in order, but things seem to be different in each state. It was so much easier in Minnesota -- and my elder daughter never had a TB test there, just basically had a quick appointment with the doctor who signed a very short standardised form. Fast forward to Virginia, and the kids have this four-page blue form that has to be filled in before they can go to pre-school. My elder daughter (who's 5) even had to have a blood test (still not sure what it was for really, but doc said it had to be done) before she went to kindergarten this year. It wasn't required for my 2 year old to have a TB test, but the doctor said best to do it in case they change the rules!!! Guess it's hard for the doctors to keep up with this stuff too.

Sara
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:20 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Yes, I have got away with the varicella so far but they actually want proper doctor's letters to say they have had chicken pox which I don't have. Isn't it better for the kids to have SOME illnesses?
The chickenpox jab is rather new. My stepson 15 didn't have it. Know what you mean though, remember chicken pox parties in the UK?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:24 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Neathborn
Hi, Woodsey, sorry you're having to through all this. We didn't have any problems with our 2 year old as her shots seemed to be in order, but things seem to be different in each state. It was so much easier in Minnesota -- and my elder daughter never had a TB test there, just basically had a quick appointment with the doctor who signed a very short standardised form. Fast forward to Virginia, and the kids have this four-page blue form that has to be filled in before they can go to pre-school. My elder daughter (who's 5) even had to have a blood test (still not sure what it was for really, but doc said it had to be done) before she went to kindergarten this year. It wasn't required for my 2 year old to have a TB test, but the doctor said best to do it in case they change the rules!!! Guess it's hard for the doctors to keep up with this stuff too.

Sara
It varies enormously by state. It really depends on how they interpret their 'police powers', that is all those actions a state can take to protect the health, safety, welfare (and sometimes including morals) of it's citizens. It's their reserved powers, which means it's in the Constitution!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Hept B is a course of 3 shots. The initial shot, then one a month later and the the 3rd one six months after that. As long as the first 2 were given in the correct period of time there is usually some leeway on the 3rd one but it needs to be within 12 months of the first one. (Hope that makes sense).
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Hi Woodsey I am about to put my dd into pre School and I have not been asked to do all this as long has her shots are up to date. I was finding it difficult to keep take of how many she was to get and when so I used this web link to remind me. http://www.babycenter.com/calculator...questid=411317

As far a TB they do test a lot for it here I had to get one done here as part of my medical and was told kids are at less risk that adults. there are two types of TB and I am surprised they would ask you to have your son to be tested at his age. They next link tells yo a little about it.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/tod...old/11392.html

They do give a lot more shots here to back home as the dose is broken up more. it is a bit mind boggling. Maybe ask your doctor to write you a letter to explain to your school as it sounds like they need to review what is needed and not needed.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My four year old had her 3 DPT and polio immunisations in the UK and the MMR at 13 months. She has not had anything else. The only problem I encountered was last year. On the back of the form (that I had to fill out for her immunisation records) it clearly states that you can refuse to have immunisations for personal reasons. That is what I did. I refuse to have my daughter vaccinated for Hep B, because she is not in situation where that's a problem. She is due another MMR (not sure whether we'll do that or not) and another DPT. But, no one is going to hurry me along, especially when I have the right to say no! Look on the back of the form Woodsey and see what it says.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

try this link may explain a bit more to you

http://www.immunizationed.org/downlo...d-schedule.pdf