Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

End of the road for "Little Chef"

End of the road for "Little Chef"

Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy End of the road for "Little Chef"

I was saddened to read that the "Little Chef" chain in the UK is up for sale.....and likely to be bought by a 'restaurant' chain such as MacDonalds.. The irony is that the owners think that the trend is now for 'healthier' menus....so why don't they just adapt them then?

I love going to the 'Little Chefs' when we're out and about on trips to Blighty....especially the 'all day breakfasts' that they serve... They also seemed to to have discount coupons in promotions with the national daily newspapers every Summer which were/are always good value.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...303818,00.html
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of the road for "Little Chef"

That is kind of sad, I used to like Little Chef - apart from the prices, which were getting silly, I thought.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:11 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

How odd. I remember Little Chef as being over-priced, stinking of stale fags and cold grease, and serving all-day-breakfasts that had sat under a heat lamp until the grease-slick chips and egg had welded to the dirty plate!

...but I didn't go that often, as you can imagine. Perhaps it was an acquired taste.

I won't be mourning their loss.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was saddened to read that the "Little Chef" chain in the UK is up for sale.....and likely to be bought by a 'restaurant' chain such as MacDonalds.. The irony is that the owners think that the trend is now for 'healthier' menus....so why don't they just adapt them then?

I love going to the 'Little Chefs' when we're out and about on trips to Blighty....especially the 'all day breakfasts' that they serve... They also seemed to to have discount coupons in promotions with the national daily newspapers every Summer which were/are always good value.

A potential US buyer steps forward.
Attached Thumbnails End of the road for "Little Chef"-icon_doughboy.jpg  
Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:47 pm
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

That's sad. I never liked Little Chef, prefer Huddle House or Waffle House, but to me Little Chef = England.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

The olympic breakfast has 27 weight watchers points.. as a 15 stone man at the time I could only have 26 points in a day - nuff said
Old Feb 27th 2005, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I always remember mountain biking around Thetford forest and then wasting all that exercise by stuffing our faces on the way home with a little chef fry up.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Damn!

I was only in one - in Reigate - at Christmas, getting the Olympic Breakfast, for lunch. I never quite got their sausages though, the filling was too smooth - like the sausages you'd buy at Kwik-save. Sausage fillings should be coarse...
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:38 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

So farewell Little Chef - just the mention of the name takes me back to family camping holidays in the late 70s and early 80s. My parents had a fondness for Little Chefs and an almost violent dislike for the rival Happy Eater, which was strange since I always thought both chains were very similar. My parents would always stop at a Little Chef on long journeys, but only if my dad could park our blue Marina estate right outside the window and watch it like a hawk throughout the meal, like anyone would ever try to steal our cheap family frame tent off the roof rack if it was parked out of sight.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:52 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

That's sad. I used to work in a Little Chef in Edinburgh - it wasn't too bad, as I remember it. I used to enjoy the meals on my breaks.

The lil one at Heathrow coach station, however, sucks bigtime! Had a brekkie there last month and it was cack. They didn't cook up the grub fresh, not like we used to up in Edinburgh.
I'm glad I wasn't paying for it.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

we call them "little theif"......just went home for a couple weeks and went in one.......breakkie for 2 and 2 coffies almost 16 quid :scared:
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:30 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I love Little Chef, it has saved me on more than one occasion (especially the one on the A3 near Guildford). If they go I will miss them.

Patrick
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: End of the road for "Little Chef"

Yeah, I always remember when we would go on school trips in Junior School and on the way back we would chant "Little Chef. Little Chef. Little Chef" Until the driver just gave in and stopped at one. I stopped at one just before I emigrated, I must admit the prices were scandalous but those red building were just...... part of my childhood. I just hope McDonalds or Burger King take thm over.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:27 am
Thumbing a ride.

Berta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really niceBerta is just really nice

ya know, the first thing I noticed upon first entering Blighty was little chef and immediately thereafter.. how familiar he looked.. like a pillsbury doughboy cousin... While i've gone to a couple and wasn't really besotted, I do hope mc donalds or burger kind don't take them over and think it would be an end of an era kind of fing for them to change hands..
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:58 am
Just Joined

erkydooks will become famous soon enougherkydooks will become famous soon enough

Good ridance to bad rubbish is what I say. Over priced and under quality is what I found there. It is one of the reasons I didnt mind leaving rip off britain.

Little Chef was one of the reasons for the demise of the greasy joes cafe's where you could buy a good english breakfast with a large mug of tea. Sadly these type of establishments are the ones we should be mourning; who lost out to the marketing ability of Little Chef, Mcdonalds and co; and the gullibillity of the modern englishman

Little chef marketing is an idea bought from the states and is not english in my eyes. Let the god stand up for transport cafes and greasy joes the true english eating places

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.