Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

En route to a Green Card?

Wikiposts

En route to a Green Card?

Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: En route to a Green Card?

Originally Posted by Bob
Getting a none games job is a lot easier, certainly for stability, some really big companies knocking around where I live too, who would be ale to transfer you, some others are companies that could do the E2 treaty visa for a Brit citizen, which wouldn't lead to a greencard, but would get you over quickly...even more luck if you've got hardware experience.
So, let's say I get over on an E2 visa. Once there are there any rules preventing me from changing to another visa category leading to the green card? I'd imagine they'd already have thought of such a cunning plan and put in place preventative measures.

Originally Posted by Bob
Still, not as fun being sensible
When I was a young'un I would have said 'games or nothing'. Experience has taught me otherwise. Still, as you say, risk provides such a great thrill!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
So, let's say I get over on an E2 visa. Once there are there any rules preventing me from changing to another visa category leading to the green card? I'd imagine they'd already have thought of such a cunning plan and put in place preventative measures.

When I was a young'un I would have said 'games or nothing'. Experience has taught me otherwise. Still, as you say, risk provides such a great thrill!
I believe there is nothing stopping you trying to change status on the E2.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivAtl
Excellent! Thanks, LivAtl.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

E2 works on a Brit company having a US operation, they then get a E2 for Brit citizen to work on their US operation, Virgin, BAE, Dyson etc sort of gig usually.

You no longer work at said company, you leave the US...potentially if you found a company willing to sponsor you for say the H1 visa, you could change status, but you have the problem of then not having the visa but the status, so you'd be land locked in the US and no trips home unless you were able to get the visa, which is the hassle in the first place....might find a bird to marry in the mean time though, and then it's all very easy, relatively speaking that is to get a greencard.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can change status from most visas except a few, might not be much use though if you can't get the visa to allow travel back and forth.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
E2 works on a Brit company having a US operation, they then get a E2 for Brit citizen to work on their US operation, Virgin, BAE, Dyson etc sort of gig usually.

You no longer work at said company, you leave the US...potentially if you found a company willing to sponsor you for say the H1 visa, you could change status, but you have the problem of then not having the visa but the status, so you'd be land locked in the US and no trips home unless you were able to get the visa, which is the hassle in the first place....might find a bird to marry in the mean time though, and then it's all very easy, relatively speaking that is to get a greencard.
Oh! Okay... That's all clear now. I really need to find that immigration lawyer to get the ball rolling.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh! Okay... That's all clear now. I really need to find that immigration lawyer to get the ball rolling.
That's the other snag, it's all down to the company, you don't apply for it, the company has to pay, only thing they can ask from you is the legal fees, but you wouldn't want to work for a tight bunch of gits that'll ask for it and it doesn't say much about their stability either.

There are a couple of US immigration lawyers in London though if you want a consult to get things clear in your head, not cheap...I can't remember the names, but I think they might be listed on the US London consulate, certainly have been mentioned on this website before.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the other snag, it's all down to the company, you don't apply for it, the company has to pay, only thing they can ask from you is the legal fees, but you wouldn't want to work for a tight bunch of gits that'll ask for it and it doesn't say much about their stability either.
True. I'd be very sceptical of them.

Originally Posted by Bob
There are a couple of US immigration lawyers in London though if you want a consult to get things clear in your head, not cheap...I can't remember the names, but I think they might be listed on the US London consulate, certainly have been mentioned on this website before.
A cousin in the US has offered to send me some details of lawyers State side, so will see what they have to offer in terms of quality and potential charges. But thanks again, Bob! Will do a search of these forums for the UK-based ones.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In London ...

http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Hi:

It is a tad more complicated than that. It depends upon what is happening, what is being filed, when its being filed, etc etc. And the "logic" of the rules, if such exists, is twisted.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road

This is the guy I used he was head of the Georgia Imigration council at one point , il forwarn you though any imigration lawer is not cheap, but this guy helped me out alot and saved me alot of time.

Kuck Casablanca & Odom LLC--The Immigration Law Firm
8010 Roswell Road, Suite 300
Atlanta, Georgia 30350

Over 100 years of combined immigration law experience, a commitment to excellence, and internet-based case processing all combine to provide our clients with the best service possible.

Phone: 404.816.8611 Fax: 404.816.8615
Email: [email protected]
Web Site: www.immigration.net

Last edited by LivAtl; Oct 6th 2008 at 6:23 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the guy I used he was head of the Georgia Imigration council at one point , il forwarn you though any imigration lawer is not cheap, but this guy helped me out alot and saved me alot of time.
Hi:

ROFL. "...was head of the Georgia Immigration council at one point." This has to be the finest example of so-called "British understatement" I have ever seen! This is wonderful! Personally, I would have put "Current President of AILA" but then, I am American and not British.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It is a tad more complicated than that. It depends upon what is happening, what is being filed, when its being filed, etc etc. And the "logic" of the rules, if such exists, is twisted.
aye, but I was only giving the gist of things, he'll learn the details if he asks an immigration lawyer
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of

If you do want to speak with an attorney I would recommend Howard Shaphiro (http://www.msk.com/attorneys.asp?id=1143) as he has obtained many a visa and greencard for game developers. He is the attorney of choice for many recruiters and game developers over here.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the links to legal reps. I'll check them out individually.