Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment offer 'At will' wordings

Employment offer 'At will' wordings

Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment offer 'At will' wordings

You will be eligible for unemployment insurance after working for a year. This is not means tested in the US.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You will be eligible for unemployment insurance after working for a year. This is not means tested in the US.
Is that something you can actually claim if you are not a permanent resident or citizen, though? If you lose your job, then you are out of status and would need to leave the US.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Is that something you can actually claim if you are not a permanent resident or citizen, though? If you lose your job, then you are out of status and would need to leave the US.
I didn't think about that. I bet you still have to pay unemployment insurance even though you are unable to claim.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment insurance is managed at a state level, so it varies from state to state. In NC, I believe it is currently only payable for 26 weeks. In the period following 2008 there was additional federal funding that paid it for 52 weeks or maybe even longer.

Bear in mind that it is a personal fund based system - so you can only draw on it when you have paid into the fund. If you lose your job a second time soon after taking a job following an extended period of unemployment you may find there are no funds to claim on for your second period of unemployment.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
If you're on a visa, that's definitely true. If you lose your job and your visa is tied to the company (as in the case of most employment-based visas, like L and H class), you're immediately out of status, and you have maybe two weeks before you must leave the country. I know of a few people who were put in that position and were able to immediately file for change of status to B2 (tourist) so that they could have a bit of breathing room to wrap up their affairs in the USA. It's doubtful that you'll be claiming any unemployment benefits while you're wrapping up your affairs.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Like you, when I first started my job in California I was quite bemused by the whole at-will thing. Made me feel quite insecure.

In reality, since then I've survived two large-scale RIFs where everyone who got laid off got pretty tasty settlement packages. To the point where those of us left behind were wondering if we really got the better deal!

I work for a large company that can afford that kind of thing, so my experiences won't apply across the board. My point is, just because there is at-will verbage in your contract, it doesn't necessarily mean your employer is going to treat you like shit.

Hopefully you get lucky with a good one!
Old Sep 16th 2016, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

barua is an unknown quantity at this point

"I acknowledge that this employment relationship may be terminated at any time, with or without good cause, at the option of either the Company or me, with or without notice"

Does this say that neither of us have to give any notice or reason to leave/fire?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 12:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Rene
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

barua is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes.

Rene
Thank you.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barua
Thank you.
In practice, if you don't give your employer a couple of weeks notice you can likely say goodbye to any prospects of ever working for the same company again in future, and depending on the connectedness of the business and its employees, possibly any other similar business in the same town/area.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would you leave a company if you had intentions of going back. Normally if it gets to the place where I want to leave a company, there is good reason and those reasons will still be there if I go back.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:51 pm

Why would you leave a company if you had intentions of going back. Normally if it gets to the place where I want to leave a company, there is good reason and those reasons will still be there if I go back.
Many of my colleagues have left and come back. It seems to be the best way to boost your salary as you can get a bigger pay-hike if you're hired from outside than if you switch jobs internally, when rises are capped by HR policy. It is also not uncommon for external hires to quit after a couple of years to go back to the company they came from.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Standard practice out of courtesy to the employer is 2 weeks.

But it's not required in most cases, just don't expect to ever be hired again at said company or where references are done, expect a positive reference.

Originally Posted by barua
"I acknowledge that this employment relationship may be terminated at any time, with or without good cause, at the option of either the Company or me, with or without notice"

Does this say that neither of us have to give any notice or reason to leave/fire?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Always wise not to close doors behind you.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Always wise not to close doors behind you.
That is true, but life generally moves on , not back. But unless things change a lot, if you were unhappy enough to leave, you will probably feel the same after a while if you move back. No point in being unhappy, life is too short.

How long should you keep answering questions for from ex co-workers once you leave a company? I am still getting questions well over a year since leaving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.