Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment discrimination

Employment discrimination

Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment discrimination

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
This doesn't apply to the whole country though. In my neck of the woods, more than a few people are openly hostile to anyone who sounds a bot different, including Brits.
On Friday night at one of the local supermarkets, while waiting at the checkout and chatting to the people in front of me (who were from the Bay Area and visiting), my shopping trolley was pulled out of my hands and swung across the floor (it turned over and all my shopping went everywhere) by some gentleman who insisted I left "his" country by the quickest possible means.
Holy crap! I've never seen or heard anything remotely like this in all my time here! I've been to some pretty redneck places too; including Bend, Oregon! Was he deadly serious? I can't imagine that behavior anywhere in the US. Must have been a bit of a bummer!

Originally Posted by Rete
We do?

Ahhh yes, you say, with tongue in cheek.
Not that part though - I really do feel that we Brits get a pretty decent ride over here. In cosmopolitan places like SF and NY, they appreciate you for what you are, but even in the redneck places where they'd just as soon shoot a Mexican (or a Native American, for that matter), they seem to have a special respect for the Brits - maybe because they feel we are their ancestors or something.

I really hadn't thought too much about it but everywhere I've been, from SF/NY to places like Aiken, South Carolina and South Texas, they hear that accent and just seem to 'like' you.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:34 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
This doesn't apply to the whole country though. In my neck of the woods, more than a few people are openly hostile to anyone who sounds a bot different, including Brits.
On Friday night at one of the local supermarkets, while waiting at the checkout and chatting to the people in front of me (who were from the Bay Area and visiting), my shopping trolley was pulled out of my hands and swung across the floor (it turned over and all my shopping went everywhere) by some gentleman who insisted I left "his" country by the quickest possible means.
"When Fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in the flag."
Or something like that.

Here's a personal anecdotey thing:

Had a fun debate with someone at work the other week; he's the type that thinks America is the world's bestest, nowhere else is worth spit, etc etc. Basically a well-rounded and open minded guy. He's a certain type - unfortunately.

Likes to brag about how he has put down various people at times who were English, German, etc. (Due to them not being overtly pro-USA).

Tells me how he thinks "jet noise is the sound of freedom" (its all military here), everyone wants to come here, and that anyone who doesn't like it here should just go home.

So I tell him that his second statement is true, but look at who they are; Peurto Ricans, Mexicans, Cubans. How many people from developed or even democratic countries are trying to get in? Look at your neighbours - the only country which isn't a corrupt state is Canada and can you name the PM? Or even the Capitol?
He asks me if I'm a citizen. I ask him why he wants to know. He goes quiet.

Finally I tell him that the statement "love it or leave it" is nothing short of Fascist and Goebels would have been envious. Finished up with "and by the way, I've been naturalised for a decade now."

The thing is, the Americans who spout this stuff are no different than far-right wingers anywhere and you get them all-over don't you?
Even in England.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:31 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
How many people from developed or even democratic countries are trying to get in? Look at your neighbours - the only country which isn't a corrupt state is Canada and can you name the PM? Or even the Capitol?
He asks me if I'm a citizen. I ask him why he wants to know. He goes quiet.

Finally I tell him that the statement "love it or leave it" is nothing short of Fascist and Goebels would have been envious. Finished up with "and by the way, I've been naturalised for a decade now."
Bet he was speechless!

No one gives Canada the respect it deserves; the current PM is Stephen Harper, who's a wanker.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:42 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

"When Fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in the flag."
]

Tells me how he thinks "jet noise is the sound of freedom" (its all military here), everyone wants to come here, and that anyone who doesn't like it here should just go home.

The thing is, the Americans who spout this stuff are no different than far-right wingers anywhere and you get them all-over don't you?
Even in England.
Being in the 'Cradle of Naval Aviation' I hear that crap every now and again, apparently helicopters are the sound of freedom... I ask them what if the helicopters are from the enemy? maybe they have a different less-free type of sound dunno
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:54 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Being in the 'Cradle of Naval Aviation' I hear that crap every now and again, apparently helicopters are the sound of freedom... I ask them what if the helicopters are from the enemy? maybe they have a different less-free type of sound dunno
Choppers remind me of Korea and Vietnam (I'm 41 and remember a good bit of the Vietnam era). Not exactly freedom and victory there.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Had a fun debate with someone at work the other week; he's the type that thinks America is the world's bestest, nowhere else is worth spit, etc etc. Basically a well-rounded and open minded guy. He's a certain type - unfortunately.

Likes to brag about how he has put down various people at times who were English, German, etc. (Due to them not being overtly pro-USA).

You are a brave man, Xebedee! When I encounter people like that I give them a wide berth. They usually drink a lot and are twice as big as me!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:53 pm
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Chopper40
I used to run a recruitment agency and I can tell you that any employer will be reluctant to consider you at all until you are actually in the US and available for interview. Think about this from their perspective; they have an open position they need to fill and about 10% unemployment right now. There are *plenty* of qualified, available people right outside their door. Nothing personal, but you don't compete very well on those terms. I'm sur eyou are highly skilled and qualified at what you do, but not an attractive proposition to an employer right now.

My advice - again, as a former (recovering?) recruiter, would be to spend this time developing a plan of action for when you arrive, and then hit the ground running when you get here.

For example, join LinkedIn and start building some relationship with recruiters in the area you will be moving to. Start researching local companies in your industry and see if you can make any connections at them. Find the names and address of the local recruitment firms. Get your resume done professionally and in the US way - not a British CV.

Hope that helps!!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You are a brave man, Xebedee! When I encounter people like that I give them a wide berth. They usually drink a lot and are twice as big as me!

Not my DH who is now a naturalized US Citizen. He comes at them hot and heavy when they are cavalier about the local laws and when they get in your face pushy. He still has such a military bearing after being in the service and NYS guard for since 1958 that when he asks if you have a green card, they run like a bat outta hell.