Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment Card but no SSN

Employment Card but no SSN

Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Suki Sue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment Card but no SSN

I've been here since Aug 2003 and applied for residence in Sept (my husband is a US citizen). So far I haven't been approved or rejected for residency. I had my 'interview' for employment and received my employment card in November but do I need a Social Security Number too? I'd like to get a job at some point soon. I've e-mailed the Social Security Dept but I'd really appreciate the reply in English I can understand. Why isn't my employment permit enough?

Apart from that I love it here, petrol $1.42 gallon, ciggies at less than a quid, southern comfort 9 quid a bottle, taxes less than half of council tax in UK. People are friendly and willing to help whenever they can.

Music takes a bit of getting used to, nothin' but country music on the radio out here but some of it rocks (honest - especially love 'It's five O' clock somewhere').
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

If you already have an employment card (the one with your photo on it with 3/4 profile) then all you need to do is to go to your local Social Security office with your card and passport and complete a form.

I did this and got my SSN six days later.

You just need to go to http://www.ssa.gov

and it tells you exactly what you need to do! You can even print the SS number application form off online. If you type in your zipcode it will show you the nearest SS office.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Durhams is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for my employment card at the beginning of September 4th to be exact, go a reply on the 20th, and I am STILL waiting for it to come back , called them last week, only to be told it would take around 120 days to be processed and even though I have waited way longerthan that already , they couldn't guarantee when I would receive it!!!!! Why are these people always so helpfull???
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Suki, I have just been through all the rigamorole of doing this.

After months and months of waiting, I finally got my work permit, I was so happy that I could work now...NOT!! Then found out I had to go through another process of getting the SSN, so I was straight off to the SSN office, had to wait 3 hours to be told I need my passport. Go home, get passport go back and told I have to wait again...left and came back the next morning at 8am (open at 8.30) and there were about 10 people already waiting at the door and it was freekin freezing.

So go in wait another hour and finally get seen. Put in the application and was told that will be up to 60 days. So a few weeks later I go on hols for 6 weeks and expect it to be there when I get back. Get back, no SSN. So it is back to the office again...8am -5c and snowing, I am lining up at the door again. Well they were nice enough to open the door at 8.15 and let us in to wait.

Go to the counter and get the same snotty woman that i had the first time (the woman in the booth next to her was even rolling her eyes) She was really condescending and had an attitude. I told her what day I had been in and she went off for about 10 minutes and I was told that immigration had sent back the paperwork, but it was sitting in her in tray because she was too busy to get to it. Every time I opened my mouth to say something, she would cut me off by say MISS in a arrogant tone. So in the end I cut her off and said "acutally it is MRS", she wasn't impressed.

So anyway I was told that will be up to 2 weeks and if you don't have it you will have to come back - why it wasn't done the first time I do not know. SO I said well how about I just make an appointment now for 2 weeks time... She says "We don't make appointments for this sort of thing, you will have to come in and take a number".

Well she could tell that I was not going to take any more of her BS and certainly did not want to see me again So it arrived in the mail 5 days later.

All the time she was gone, the woman in the next booth was telling me to ask to see someone else. I guess there are a lot of problems with the incompetence of that silly old woman.

Now we have applied for Greencards. Oh what joy I have to look forward to:scared:

Okay enough ranting from me Why they issue an Working Permit without a SSN is absolutely stupid. Just another money making scheme!!!!