Employment

Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Question Employment

I'm a reletive newcomer to America and have a work permit and green card application pending through marriage. I have 2 degrees in computer science, however I've applied for over 200 IT related jobs and have only had 2 interviews, so Ive had to take a job at a department store. I'm not picky, I have applied all over the country, but have concentrated mainly in the OH area as thats where I live and am willing to start at the bottom too, but still no luck.
Is there any advice people can give as to what to do in to get a job in the IT industry?
Also, is there any English people currently living on the west side of Cleveland, or am I the only one!?
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
I'm a reletive newcomer to America and have a work permit and green card application pending through marriage. I have 2 degrees in computer science, however I've applied for over 200 IT related jobs and have only had 2 interviews, so Ive had to take a job at a department store. I'm not picky, I have applied all over the country, but have concentrated mainly in the OH area as thats where I live and am willing to start at the bottom too, but still no luck.
Is there any advice people can give as to what to do in to get a job in the IT industry?
Also, is there any English people currently living on the west side of Cleveland, or am I the only one!?
Welcome to BritishExpats.

For starters, you might find it helpful to look at previous threads in this forum to see tips/suggestions about job hunting in the US.

I have family in Cleveland (my American in-laws) and they live on the west side of Cleveland like you. From my impression of Cleveland, there's not a lot of IT based companies there.

I'm sure you are looking for jobs advertised in the Plain Dealer and other local resources.

You didn't make it clear in your post whether you have an actual experience in IT. That'll probably make the difference. Having academic qualifications without any or little employment history in the field that you wish to work in will not make you that attractive to employers, especially in the current economic climate.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 28th 2003, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Employment

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
Hey, I'm in Columbus OH and though I work in manufacturing I have a mate who worked in IT at a bank here in town, I have no problem in forwarding your resume to him if you like, I think he is hiring so long term contract staff right now.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

BritishInOhio,

I sent you an email. If you didnt get it my address is [email protected]. It would be great to talk to you!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 4:00 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Isn't that great!

Someone was helped.... more new members should give us a try!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BrigieDarling,

I just saw youre from Pompy. I lived in Southsea for 3 years and still have a few good friends that are die hard Pompy geezers!