Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employing a Nanny

Employing a Nanny

Old Oct 8th 2022, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Boswortha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employing a Nanny

Quite a specific question here - I am a US visa holder and have been living here for ~6 years. I recently had a child here and need to employ a nanny in order to go back to work. I would be employing them as a household employee under W2 tax forms and paying federal and state tax, social security etc as an employer.
It just occurred to me that I wonder if this is allowed given I myself am on a work visa (O1), and not a citizen - Is this allowed considering it's for child care?
Old Oct 9th 2022, 6:37 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employing a Nanny

Originally Posted by Boswortha
Quite a specific question here - I am a US visa holder and have been living here for ~6 years. I recently had a child here and need to employ a nanny in order to go back to work. I would be employing them as a household employee under W2 tax forms and paying federal and state tax, social security etc as an employer.
It just occurred to me that I wonder if this is allowed given I myself am on a work visa (O1), and not a citizen - Is this allowed considering it's for child care?
I did this as a PR on a GC, no idea if you can be an employer on a O1, but I will say the admin is a lot of work. We did a contract and then the I9 verification (to make sure they were legal) I used some software by quickbooks, they stopped supporting to calculate tax, and print the pay stubs and then paid by personal check, but I had to get federal and state ID, so the I9, and also get workers compensation. You then have to pay the withholding to the city, state and IRS, quarterly I think. I guess that’s why people either use an agency or pay “off the books”.