Emigrating to Bradenton/ Sarasota

Emigrating to Bradenton/ Sarasota

Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Sue Pashley is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Emigrating to Bradenton/ Sarasota

Hi,

I'm Sue Pashley from Rotherham UK.

Having spent 22 years of my life working for Royal Mail, I am ready for the change of my life (or is the change of Life ???). My husband, Rod, is also getting made redundant from Royal Mail in March. We both saw this as an opportunity to really make something of our lives and the future of our children (Boy 10 and girl 8).

We have just comitted ourselves to purchase a US Home on the Greyhawk Landing Estate in Bradenton and are coming over on 23rd January to make our 'custom home' choices. Anyone got any tips as regards the rights choices to make to improve the value of the home i.e spa or bay windows etc???

Are there any Brits already living in Bradenton or Sarasota area?

Looking for a restaurant type business to come over on an E2 visa. Hoping to emigrate May/ June this year. Please let me know if you know of anything that may be coming up shortly. We are actively looking on the internet for businesses but they are quite limited in quantity.

Any other tips or motivational comments please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sue
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Bradenton/ Sarasota

Seems a funny way to do it....Most people find the business, get the visa, and then buy the home... It can be done, but you are unlikely to be moving over May/June, if you have not already found a business...
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:51 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a nice place to live, if you like that 'gated comunity' type of place.

I'm curious, what do you mean by 'commited' yourselves?
Do you mean you have laid down a deposit?
If so that's a pretty brave thing to do before you have even gotten a visa to live here.

As for resturants in the area, I have family just North of Bradenton, along I 75 . They tell me that there are resturants opening and closing all the time, So I would guess that they are out there.
But can you get a visa by just opening a resturant? Hell i that's so then I can't figure out why we don't have more than just one Indian resturant in this area.

Good luck though.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 2:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sue Pashley
Hi,

I'm Sue Pashley from Rotherham UK.

Having spent 22 years of my life working for Royal Mail, I am ready for the change of my life (or is the change of Life ???). My husband, Rod, is also getting made redundant from Royal Mail in March. We both saw this as an opportunity to really make something of our lives and the future of our children (Boy 10 and girl 8).

We have just comitted ourselves to purchase a US Home on the Greyhawk Landing Estate in Bradenton and are coming over on 23rd January to make our 'custom home' choices. Anyone got any tips as regards the rights choices to make to improve the value of the home i.e spa or bay windows etc???

Are there any Brits already living in Bradenton or Sarasota area?

Looking for a restaurant type business to come over on an E2 visa. Hoping to emigrate May/ June this year. Please let me know if you know of anything that may be coming up shortly. We are actively looking on the internet for businesses but they are quite limited in quantity.

Any other tips or motivational comments please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sue
Unless I'm not mistaken, Sue and her family do not have a visa at the present time. They'll only be able to visit by getting one of the new visas 'cos they don't have biometric readable passports. They could only stay a maximum of three months.

Surely processing for an E2 visa is not as fast as five months ('cos Sue wants to emigrate by June this year)?

NC Penguin
Old Jan 9th 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue

We live in Ellenton- after 11 years in Sarasota. I can't advise on the business or E visa, but do look into all aspects of these treaty trader visas- you have no rights at all with them and they can really affect what your children can do when they get older, i.e. paying 4 times the price of citizens for college etc Plus when the children turn 21, as I understand it, they will have to leave or get their own visas which can be difficult. Not trying to be negative - just a caution- ask whoever will be helping you with visas EXACTLY how it will affect your kids.

As for adding value to a house- a pool and tiled floors add some. A lake out back, "waterfront" as they call it here, these lots are more expensive and go up in value quicker...but you probably have your lot picked out. Upgrades like Corian counters add a bit of value and are a good selling feature.

You say you've committed which probably means you've paid a deposit??? Which you can get out of if necessary?? Have you checked out Ellenton- its one of the developing areas.
We got in on the ground level and (courtesy of our builder) have seen the plans for Ellenton, it's going to be huge. Our house went up in value over $10,000 the minute we moved in- and has gone up another $15,000 in the last year. Equity is going up so fast here- some people are having houses built and selling them without even moving in.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 6:56 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Just one note about adding a pool, I would suggest if you are interested in having a pool, have it built after you've bought the house. I'm sure the house builder would be more than willing to do it, but it would be at a highly inflated price.
Like everyone else though, I would've thought the priority is to get the visa sorted first.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 6:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

bloody 'ell.........
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:23 am
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sue

How's it going? Have you managed to move out to Bradenton yet? We have visited many times on holiday and love the area. We too are looking to move out there but without starting a business as my parents are in there 50's they are looking to slow down, but for the meantime it's looks like we will just be vacationing.

If you have managed to move over there, can you let me know how you've got on. Also is there anyone out there living in Englewood? What is it like? We are vacatioing there at Christmas