Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To emigrate or not to emigrate

Wikiposts

To emigrate or not to emigrate

Old May 23rd 2008, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To emigrate or not to emigrate

Originally Posted by San Anglais
I work in motorsport, the kind that centres around Indianapolis. It's not essential to be there, I'll have to travel all over the country most weekends wherever I live. But there will be more shorter haul flights if I'm around there somewhere, than flying back to, say, Oregon every Sunday night!

The four places that I liked the look of on that MySpot site were:
Bloomington, Indiana
Harrisburg/Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Denver, Colorado
Springfield, Missouri
Interesting - noe are big cities except Denver. I loved Denver myself btw.

If you're going to fly that much, I'd be more concerned with a nice airport that flies direct to most places you want to go, rather than just the miles in the air.

If you have to connect all over the place, that'd take a lot of time.

Pennsylvania is very pretty - I think there are some downsides though. I seem to remember you can only buy booze from the state, in what's called a "state store" for example. Someone who's living there can contradict me if it isn't that way anymore, I know it used to be.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:40 am
Just Joined

San Anglais will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I'm not much of a big city fan to be honest. I get used to it if I have to, but I prefer my wide open outdoor spaces.

I hadn't consider the direct/connecting flight issue. I'm so used to everything being direct in Europe!

I don't suppose you, or anyone, would know of a central resource for flight routes, rather than having to go to each airport individually?
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm not much of a big city fan to be honest. I get used to it if I have to, but I prefer my wide open outdoor spaces.

I hadn't consider the direct/connecting flight issue. I'm so used to everything being direct in Europe!

I don't suppose you, or anyone, would know of a central resource for flight routes, rather than having to go to each airport individually?
Our forum member Cindyabs is a travel agent - perhaps she might be able to help you.

I'm afraid I don't know myself, hopefully someone else can be helpful with this part. You also have to factor how far you are from the airport, and how hard it is to get to the thing. The U.S. is a lot more spread out than the UK, of course.

Wide open spaces - go west young man
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:52 am
Just Joined

San Anglais will become famous soon enough

I can hear the Pet Shop Boys now!!

I don't want things to be tooooooo wide open!!

That's another good point, I've been spoiled by having both Gatwick and Heathrow about 45mins away each. I'd better be careful not to end up four hours drive from the nearest airport!!
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough

The four places that I liked the look of on that MySpot site were:
Bloomington, Indiana
If you want something like Ames, I suspect that Bloomington would be the choice. Though it should be said that IU is a more liberal arts school, unlike the more engineering oriented Iowa State. West Lafayette with Purdue would be more analogous in that respect, and is also perhaps worthy of consideration; it's about the same distance from Indianapolis as Bloomington and is about a third of the way from Indy to Chicago.
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:49 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

In that case Boulder might suit you better than Denver. There are direct flights to London from Denver with BA..