To emigrate or not to emigrate

Wikiposts

To emigrate or not to emigrate

Old May 22nd 2008, 11:36 am
Just Joined

San Anglais will become famous soon enough
Default Re: To emigrate or not to emigrate

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Get the visa and then go for it! You'll never regret the things you did do - only the things you didn't.

BTW, you've already made up your mind. You just haven't acknowledged it overtly to yourself. You just want people to reinforce your decision.
Cheers,

I agree that I've made up my mind. I do want to go. It just doesn't seem like I've seriously considered enough factors before just decided "yeah, go for it"

I'm basically here to make sure there's nothing I've forgotten to consider that I really ought to know about before jumping in with both feet.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your input, by the way. I appreciate you all taking the time to offer your advice
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:51 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Get the visa and then go for it! You'll never regret the things you did do - only the things you didn't.

BTW, you've already made up your mind. You just haven't acknowledged it overtly to yourself. You just want people to reinforce your decision.
My thoughts exactly..
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the company to sort out health insurance is normal, it's the small print you need to consider, how much will you have to pay per month, it can be anything from nothing to a grand depending on age, previous conditions etc. You'll also need to look at deductibles, co-pays, prescriptions, maximum coverage etc. And see if they cover dental and eyeballs because that's expensive too.

And the point that was stressed about the visa was a valid one, plenty of people on this site looking and get a stumbling block because they couldn't get the visa. The wiki has a good guide explaining what the main ones are. It sounds like you'll be getting the L1 as a company transfer for either management or skilled worker, as long as you've worked there over a year and meet other requirements.
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:14 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Where would you be moving to?
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by San Anglais
What you say about coming back after time there at university is something I'd thought about. I was very lucky with how well I fitted in and how brilliant a place I happened to go to. But the other thing is that I was surrounded by well educated, well travelled, wordly, people while I was at uni there, and - while not wishing to cause offense to the general population - the same can't be said of everyone in general society, off campus.

But I thought it would be a bit unfair to give any time of day to the stereotypes about America's general ignorance when I have first hand experience of that not being the case. I suppose I will just have to choose carefully where I live.
I do think it helps to think about where you will live and what would suit you. You can't control all the factors but you can try to make it as easy as possible.

And having struggled so much on my second stint of living in the US, I am now on my third stint and haven't had a moment's homesickness in the year (nearly) that I've been here. This time we thought really carefully about where we wanted to live, and I think had more of a 'make the most of it' attitude, which it sounds like you already have :-)

Which university were you at when you did your exchange? A friend of mine did an exchange last year to Michigan (of all places) and had the time of her life.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anabella
Where would you be moving to?
My company's US HQ is in southern California, somewhere between Long Beach and Lake Forest.

But I'm not 100% sure that I would have to live there, and if not, it I would have free choice. I'm quite tempted to move around quite a bit, spend six months in San Francisco, six months in NY, six months in Florida etc.

The other option is to be based near the hub of my industry, which is around Indianapolis or south east Illinois.
Old May 22nd 2008, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kins
I do think it helps to think about where you will live and what would suit you. You can't control all the factors but you can try to make it as easy as possible.

And having struggled so much on my second stint of living in the US, I am now on my third stint and haven't had a moment's homesickness in the year (nearly) that I've been here. This time we thought really carefully about where we wanted to live, and I think had more of a 'make the most of it' attitude, which it sounds like you already have :-)

Which university were you at when you did your exchange? A friend of mine did an exchange last year to Michigan (of all places) and had the time of her life.
I spent a year at Iowa State University in a campus town called Ames, about an hour outside of Des Moines.

It was very..... well, how you would expect a good college to be, but in Iowa. Thankfully because it's a big uni the campus was huge and it wasn't quite as rural as it might have been!

It's difficult to know which areas to look at and which to avoid though. I'm just throwing darts at maps at the minute really.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:56 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a year at Iowa State University in a campus town called Ames, about an hour outside of Des Moines.
It was very..... well, how you would expect a good college to be, but in Iowa. Thankfully because it's a big uni the campus was huge and it wasn't quite as rural as it might have been!

It's difficult to know which areas to look at and which to avoid though. I'm just throwing darts at maps at the minute really.
Ames, Iowa is very similar to SoCal.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Ames, Iowa is very similar to SoCal.
In what way??
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In what way??
They both have an O in the name
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

My company's US HQ is in southern California, somewhere between Long Beach and Lake Forest.

But I'm not 100% sure that I would have to live there, and if not, it I would have free choice. I'm quite tempted to move around quite a bit, spend six months in San Francisco, six months in NY, six months in Florida etc.

The other option is to be based near the hub of my industry, which is around Indianapolis or south east Illinois.
I'm in the Chicago area, and have never experienced a burning desire to move to southeast Illinois.

Nothing horrible about it, but nothing special imo.

If I could live anywnere I chose in the US, I'd certainly choose somewhere else!

Florida is not my favorite either, but that's just personal opinion. Too hot, muggy, buggy - I preferred Arizona or New Mexico.

There's so much incredibly beautiful country out west, Colorado was quite nice.

Depends what you're looking for though - city life or beauty or weather - try this - it trys to say what parts of the country would appeal to you:

www.findyourspot.com
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:13 am
Just Joined

yeah, I can't say I'd choose south east Illinois either, but a lot of my industry is based around Indianapolis so it would make sense to be within reach.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for either, I'm a country boy who's got used to living in cities. I'd quite happily spend the first year or two just experiencing different places before deciding where to settle. I do like the look of Colorado, though!

Thank you for that link, I'll take a look now!
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I can't say I'd choose south east Illinois either, but a lot of my industry is based around Indianapolis so it would make sense to be within reach.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for either, I'm a country boy who's got used to living in cities. I'd quite happily spend the first year or two just experiencing different places before deciding where to settle. I do like the look of Colorado, though!

Thank you for that link, I'll take a look now!
You're welcome.

Indianopolis is ok - Chicago area's not too far though, if you'd like to be by or in a big city.

I like the country myself - and currently look out my window at a neighbor's barn. But I can be in downtown Chicago in an hour or so, which I do occasionally.

What is your industry, if you'd care to say?
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:59 am
Just Joined

I work in motorsport, the kind that centres around Indianapolis. It's not essential to be there, I'll have to travel all over the country most weekends wherever I live. But there will be more shorter haul flights if I'm around there somewhere, than flying back to, say, Oregon every Sunday night!

The four places that I liked the look of on that MySpot site were:
Bloomington, Indiana
Harrisburg/Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Denver, Colorado
Springfield, Missouri

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.