Reload this Page >

Emigating-Selling UK home and buying US one

Emigating-Selling UK home and buying US one

Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

jamarick is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Emigrating-Selling UK home and buying US one

Can anyone advise us please:
Have you sold your UK home and purchased one in the USA? Are there any hidden expenses or taxes to pay in either Country?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jamarick

Last edited by jamarick; Mar 11th 2006 at 4:31 pm. Reason: mis spelling
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigating-Selling UK home and buying US one

tax issues,w ell that depends on if you have PR status in the US or not etc, etc, and also where your buying in the US...but there's been a few threads that you can search through to get some ideas until someone else cna chirp in...

and there's not a bad little bit of finance info in the faq....
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:12 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

I sold my house in the Uk after getting my us visa, i put the money in the bank, transferred it to an american account my wife had, moved to America, spent the money!

No tax.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thackattack
I sold my house in the Uk after getting my us visa, i put the money in the bank, transferred it to an american account my wife had, moved to America, spent the money!

No tax.
Hope you transferred it in increments of less than $9,999.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:22 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
and that's per year!

The Banks (and car dealers) have to report cash amounts incrementing to over $9,999 for one customer in one 12 month period.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 2:13 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
What difference does it make though? My bank reported my receipt of >$50k from my house sale in the UK, but it didn't have any effect on anything. The money came through quickly, wasn't delayed, and the IRS had no particular interest since it was below the capital gains threshold.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
and that's per year!

The Banks (and car dealers) have to report cash amounts incrementing to over $9,999 for one customer in one 12 month period.
I thought the banks had to notify the IRS every time $10K or more is paid in or out of your bank account, nothing to do with a 12 month period. That's the notice I get from my bank. Thinking about it, maybe the 'out of' bit is when funds are moved overseas.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 18th 2006 at 3:24 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought the banks had to notify the IRS every time $10K or more is paid in or out of your bank account, nothing to do with a 12 month period. That's the notice I get from my bank. Thinking about it, maybe the 'out of' bit is when funds are moved overseas.
http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobas...al/OLM_008.htm
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. More or less what I thought. Do you have any legal knowledge of the banking system here?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 3:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. More or less what I thought. Do you have any legal knowledge of the banking system here?
Picked up bits and bobs along the way, like you do...
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Picked up bits and bobs along the way, like you do...
May I PM you with a question? Its just out of curiosity, not something I want to act on.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:06 pm
Septicity

May I PM you with a question?
I think they only PMs I've ever ignored are those from attorneys!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:09 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

We have been told, chapter and verse, at work that if we know that a customer has given us cash accumulating to $10,000 or more in any one year that we have to make sure that management is aware of it.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We have been told, chapter and verse, at work that if we know that a customer has given us cash accumulating to $10,000 or more in any one year that we have to make sure that management is aware of it.

Read Fatbrits link.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 4:16 pm
Septicity

Risk management performing CYA.

Google SAR reporting requirments if you're very bored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.