Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency US Passport - any help appreciated

Emergency US Passport - any help appreciated

Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light
Default Emergency US Passport - any help appreciated

Hi Guys,

I'm clutching at straws here now, so I am hoping you guys can help.

My brother in law is a USC. He was due to visit for a surprise party for my Mrs this week, leaving on weds.
Last week he announced his passport had not arrived (first time leaving the country). Eventually he chased up and it had been sent on 1st June, next day. So more investigation followed and it turns out they got his address wrong despite all his documentation. He lives on xx EAST xxxxx street and they sent it to xx WEST xxxxx street. He has tried calling the address it has been sent to, but just gets an answer phone and his messages are not listened to or ignored as no call back.

Any ideas on what he might be able to do now?
Does he have a chance of getting another passport in such short notice or compensation to get another ticket?

I know he has been a slacker, so now I am taking charge, but I don't know what I might be able to achieve, especially in the time available. My next port of call is to phone the passport agency, but not convinced they will help me much as it is not my case.

I am desperate to get this solved as him not being there, when the rest of the US family are will upset my Mrs and spoil what was supposed to be a great day for her. Any advice appreciated.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:54 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency US Passport - any help appreciated

Has he tried visiting the address? If no one is living there maybe it's sitting on the porch.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by avanutria
Has he tried visiting the address? If no one is living there maybe it's sitting on the porch.
No, I advised him to, but he hasn't. I can try get him to do this, but not sure what the success rate would be.

I was hoping there would be something more official I could do or get him to do really.

I mean to my mind the courier or agency shipping the passport should be responsible for this, not the person who is receiving? Although right or wrong is a secondary issue for now, getting a passport is primary.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Google passport expediters. You can get same day service in some places like Washington and other cities. However, he may be cutting it too close.

See if there is a passport office near you that could do same day. You will need a copy of airline ticket and ids plus a bunch of cash for emergency service. Plan on a whole day down there or pay a service. .
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you doing this for him? He can't use a phone or doesn't have transportation available?

Where does he live? He can get a US Passport within a day by visiting the nearest passport office (not the post office).

BTW if it were sent by fedex or express mail through the USPS, it has already been returned to the passport agency. Can't they find it and resend it today?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Why are you doing this for him? He can't use a phone or doesn't have transportation available?
I was doing it, because I don't want to ruin the event for my Mrs, and so far he has been a complete slacker and got nothing done. Nothing useful anyway, although seen some high scores on facebook games!

I am starting to think he doesn't really want to come over here, which is a bit sad, but is what it is. Wish he had told me this before he spent a lot of money on tickets and I spent a lot of money on things over here.

You can lead a horse to water...

(Please excuse my venting, just getting a bit angry over all this.)