Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

I just got the update from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) that the Atlantic hurricane season ends tomorrow (phew!). "The season began on June 1 and was the most active hurricane season since 2005, with 19 named storms and 12 hurricanes." The email goes on to urge individuals to prepare in advance for all sorts of natural/unnatural disasters & emergencies.

Earlier this year, I organized a Know Your Neighborhood meeting for the people on my block. We compiled our contact details, a skills & equipment inventory and became familiar with who might need extra assistance in case of an emergency. We set a meeting point and communication protocol. Earthquakes are our biggest concern here, but this could apply to an ice storm or anything that cut the neighborhood off from services.

I carry an emergency escape pack in the trunk of the car but I've had a few false starts getting a comprehensive emergency kit together. The water storage bottles are sitting empty, in the basement (oh the shame!). I know I can confess the truth to my friends here. I keep meaning to make copies of all those important documents, and probably more importantly, to have a bug out bag under my bed with at least some clothes in it, in case 'it' happens after dark.

I'm pretty sure our house will stay standing but just in case, we've decided to put the 72-hour kit in the free standing garage because if it did collapse, we know we could move the rubble of that structure to get to our kit.

What do you have ready for an emergency?

From FEMA:
If you haven't taken the steps yet to be prepared for emergencies, you can visit www.ready.gov or www.listo.gov to learn more, including how to put together an emergency supply kit, develop a family communications plan, and stay informed of the hazards that exist in your area.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

My wife is the volunteer Milwaukie Emergency Preparedness Network organizer.

http://milwaukiepsf.org/MEPN%20Disas...%20%281%29.pdf

She has arranged shelters, Citizens Emergency Response Teams and all sorts of things. We have enough food and water here to keep us going for quite some time.

In my Jeep I have enough to last me 3 - 4 days but that is because I can be called out to take blood to either the coast or central Oregon, both of which mean going over mountain passes in the heart of winter, and if I get stuck I can last until rescued. I also carry thermal blankets and extra warm clothing. Of course I have never even come close to getting stuck yet but wifey insists I be prepared. The one thing I have considered getting for blood trips, but not got around to it, is an emergency beacon as some of the routes have considerable gaps in cell phone coverage.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Woefully little
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The Northeast Blackout of 2003 taught us that we needed a supply of canned food and potable water on hand. (We lost all water pressure in addition to electricity). That's taken care of now. No B-O-Bs at the moment, thanks for the reminder. We need to get some together.

The neighborhood meeting is a good idea... but I think if I shared my entire "preparedness inventory" they might have second thoughts about what they need to be protected from
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Pistol, AR-15 and a shotgun with 10,000 rounds of ammo for when the zombies come.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The neighborhood meeting is a good idea... but I think if I shared my entire "preparedness inventory" they might have second thoughts about what they need to be protected from
hee hee.. yes, sometimes an incomplete answer is best. The inventory contains things like chain saw, water purification, external cooking device (aka gas BBQ!), first aid supplies, language proficiencies, child/elder care etc. I suspect a couple of the neighbors might be packin' heat too, but it didn't come up.

If you want an outline for that meeting, message me and I'll see what I can scrape up.. they tend to be city sponsored, so check your city's website but it's really down to the neighbors to organize. The city provided some printed guides, but none of it would be difficult to create. People can participate at the level they're comfortable with and provide what information they like.
We wanted our neighbors to have our emergency contact info, for example. We have no family living here, and no one would know who to reach if Something Happened.

lansbury, I never had a doubt.. Didn't one of you do the NET training too? Or you have a version of it there. Maybe I'll do that one in the spring/summer.

Nevermind.. I just read the link in lansbury's post.. that is a great start and it even has the OK/HELP sign (staple a wrapped band-aid/plaster to the page and it can double for tape when you need it).
Substitute your local shelter & contact info in there and you're off to the races. I'll find the skills/equip inventory later and add it.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Pistol, AR-15 and a shotgun with 10,000 rounds of ammo for when the zombies come.
I need a shotgun... got all the rest
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
hee hee.. yes, sometimes an incomplete answer is best. The inventory contains things like chain saw, water purification, external cooking device (aka gas BBQ!), first aid supplies, language proficiencies, child/elder care etc.
Those are all very important points. Thanks again for starting this thread.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

lansbury, I never had a doubt.. Didn't one of you do the NET training too? Or you have a version of it there. Maybe I'll do that one in the spring/summer.
Yes Mrs L did the Clackamas County FD training. I was unable to see that a group of people most of whom are 60+ would be very effective dragging people from burning buildings or from underneath collapsed ones. However to give them their due they take it very seriously and train and she now has three CERT teams to cover all of Milwaukie (City) and which can be activated by either the PD or CCFD1.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:19 pm

Nevermind.. I just read the link in lansbury's post.. that is a great start and it even has the OK/HELP sign
http://www.ci.milwaukie.or.us/sites/...Newsletter.pdf

Front page of the May Milwaukie Pravda with Mrs L holding her OK and Help signs. The leaflet I linked to in my previous post was written by herself
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:55 pm

Yay, Missus L!!!

btw, lansbury, you forgot to send me your address.. looks like you guys have the supplies we, I mean you, need...

PS: enjoyed your exchange in the ed section this week, you almost sound ready to move into Portland proper.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:06 pm

btw, lansbury, you forgot to send me your address..
turn left just past the radar van
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
turn left just past the radar van
Curses, foiled again!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I just made it through the hurricane season, with no emergency supplies.

Now I'm on a road that will definately stay iced up for days if it snows I'll probably get some food in. We usually have bottles of water (5 gallon) because we are on well water. I do know how to find a flashlight in the dark and have plenty of firewood.

I've been told Mormons store food, we all need to befriend some local Mormons http://lds.about.com/od/preparedness...toragewhat.htm
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:46 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

First year not prepared at all - Hurricane Ike visited - we ran away to Dallas.

Second year - prepared with all the recommended supplies - nothing happened.

This year - checked supplies, 5 gallon water bottle has leaked destroying kitchen roll, toilet roll, battery powered radio. We still have everything else including a very basic porta loo but did not bother stocking up with more food etc.

So I guess I ain't .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.