Reload this Page >

Emergency Medicaid

Wikiposts

Emergency Medicaid

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Ponker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emergency Medicaid

Hi Ian, yes thanks. I just wanted to know if I can apply for emergency Medicaid to cover the ER bills. We are on a temporary work visa for 3yrs.

The only reason I mentioned about not having insurance and the pre existing, was so that I didn't get a lot of "well you should have got insurance then you wouldn't be in is situation..." etc that I have seen on other posts!

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Ponker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bilbos, great advice!
I will definitely look into that.... It's such a crazy system over here!
My son is doing great now - thank you
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Truly depends on your state and health providers.

I went for testing that wasn't covered, and was only given a 10% discount from the bill. From that, they wouldn't budge.

Many providers (not hospitals) do have a self-pay option, which is usually about what they bill the insurance folks. Remember, providers only bill insurance as "as a courtesy."

I know a lot of people feel that you can get get away with not paying much when using medical services in the USA. That is rare. You DO need to negotiate and discuss all this, hopefully when you were admitting your child. If an emergency and he needed hospitalization, then its worth every penny for his life.

With hospitals, you will then have bills for each person near your son, not just one bill. (At least this is how it is here in Texas, from what I've encountered, as in Nevada, where I also have experience.) So each provider of a service will need a discussion. The hospital itself, like for the room and any food service, could be reduced quite a bit with self-pay.

There is no reason at all why for the rest of your time here that your husband and son get insurance. I know you say you've tried everything over these 6 months to get that, but I know many a folk with only some of the family on one insurance, and the rest on another for various reasons.

Emergency medicaid is only for any medical situation that if left untouched, would result in death, such as the sudden non-functioning of an organ. And each state decides this, and the hospital should have finance/admin to consult about this. So it doesn't cover sickness, disease or non-life threatening issues.

Your husband is here on an O1. I must surmise the organization that he is affiliated with has insurance plans. As a side question - why are they not providing healthcare insurance? These are high distinction visas, am I correct? Then I'm sure there are guilds/groups as well that can sort out insurance later, even if only paying for the son.

Start calling your various state and local child support agencies and keep asking until someone comes up with an answer. I'd suspect the hospital and their finance/admin/legal department is a good place to start asking where to call.

Good luck. And I hope your son gets well soon.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

"Hi Ian, yes thanks. I just wanted to know if I can apply for emergency Medicaid to cover the ER bills. We are on a temporary work visa for 3yrs."

As stated by other posters, Medicaid is NOT going to pay for something that already happened (your son's ER visit). That horse has left the barn, just focus on getting some type of payment plan in place for all of the bills that you are going to receive.

Regarding your pregnancy, start saving now. Around 4 years ago my cousin didn't have insurance (lost her job) and was told by her doctor (who was accepting a low cash fee for her OB/GYN visits) that she needed to figure on a minimum of $30,000 for birth in a hospital (with no pain control or any "interventions"). He told her that it would be higher if an epidural or anything else was needed. She finally qualified for Medicaid in the last trimester of her pregnancy (she is a USC) and though no bills were paid retroactively, it greatly helped with the cost of delivering the child.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Married2abrit

Regarding your pregnancy, start saving now. Around 4 years ago my cousin didn't have insurance (lost her job) and was told by her doctor (who was accepting a low cash fee for her OB/GYN visits) that she needed to figure on a minimum of $30,000 for birth in a hospital (with no pain control or any "interventions"). He told her that it would be higher if an epidural or anything else was needed. She finally qualified for Medicaid in the last trimester of her pregnancy (she is a USC) and though no bills were paid retroactively, it greatly helped with the cost of delivering the child.
I still find it astonishing how they can charge these prices and get away with it. A straightforward delivery isn't exactly rocket science, the baby makes its own way out.
'Broken USA'.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:29 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ponker
Hi Ian, yes thanks. I just wanted to know if I can apply for emergency Medicaid to cover the ER bills. We are on a temporary work visa for 3yrs.

The only reason I mentioned about not having insurance and the pre existing, was so that I didn't get a lot of "well you should have got insurance then you wouldn't be in is situation..." etc that I have seen on other posts!

Thanks!
Sorry I have to ask. What kind of company brings you to the States on a work visa and doesn't provide health insurance?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Sorry I have to ask. What kind of company brings you to the States on a work visa and doesn't provide health insurance?
That's what i was wondering too.

If I was in the OP's shoes I'd move back to England and walk away from the emergency room debt, especially if I had assets/income. That way at least they're going to have access to healthcare for their family as opposed to the problematic situation they are in here.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

If I was in the OP's shoes I'd move back to England and walk away from the emergency room debt, especially if I had assets/income. That way at least they're going to have access to healthcare for their family as opposed to the problematic situation they are in here.
+1
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

The approach seems unbeliveably casual. Anyone could have an accident or become ill anytime, and how is a 'low income family' going to manage if there are problems in the pregnancy, delivery and/or baby's health?

O1 is for outstanding people so they are presumably also getting a poor salary for their skills.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

.... and then you go and get pregnant as well !!.

Sonething does not add up here.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

They only 'fell' pregnant...by magic presumably.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:29 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Should have got a 3 year supply of contraceptive before moving
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh ladies, now stop getting on her back about the pregnancy. Yes the word "fell" doesn't quite fit with getting pregnant and we do not know the reason why she or he, for that matter, did not use contraceptives, but they might well have and it failed.

This is the situation she is in and she is looking for help in dealing with this financial crisis. Go easy on her. Not everyone is perfect like we are

The approach seems unbeliveably casual. Anyone could have an accident or become ill anytime, and how is a 'low income family' going to manage if there are problems in the pregnancy, delivery and/or baby's health?

O1 is for outstanding people so they are presumably also getting a poor salary for their skills.
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Should have got a 3 year supply of contraceptive before moving
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Ahhh ladies, now stop getting on her back about the pregnancy. Yes the word "fell" doesn't quite fit with getting pregnant and we do not know the reason why she or he, for that matter, did not use contraceptives, but they might well have and it failed.

This is the situation she is in and she is looking for help in dealing with this financial crisis. Go easy on her. Not everyone is perfect like we are
I feel concerned that they are not covered by insurance now though.

I think some British people assume that there is a public healthcare system available here if they do not have insurance. They should be aware that this is not generally the case.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean to sound nasty, but having had my fair share of 'fights' with health insurance companies, to move to the US, not have health insurance and then to become pregnant is potentially a nightmare one need not have to go through - if a little bit of care is taken.

The OP is presumably saving/budgeting for a normal birth - but what if .....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.