Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elementary school in Fairfield town CT

Wikiposts

Elementary school in Fairfield town CT

Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Elementary school in Fairfield town CT

Originally Posted by WEBlue
OJL I particularly favour, for the surprise element--you never know what you'll find there.
Exactly !

Beats Big Lots every time (imho), and is just that little bit more down market than The Christmas Tree Shop

For example, at the one in Seymour this week there were Hobnobs and Digestives for (I think) $2 a shot.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SL100
Question 1
I understand that when applying for elementary schools, the school you are given is dependant upon where you live. How would I know the maximum distance is from each school that you would need to be in (i.e catchment area).
The towns are broken up into different districts - If you live in a certain district your kids will go to that districts school - even if there are other school closer by.

Question 2
I have looked on the website for the Connecticut State Department of Education website and I cannot seem to work out what the application process is i.e. when and how you apply. Also what is the process when one moves to an area once the academic year has already started?
The town hall in the town you end up at is the place to go. Not sure about joining in 'mid-term'

Question 3
Do you have some form of rating system/assessment method in the US by which I can ascertain how well schools are performing etc. If any of you have any personal experience - good or bad - of the elementary schools in Fairfield I would really appreciate it if you could share them with me.
http://www.greatschools.org/connecti...hool-District/

Westport and Wilton/Weston schools are better (on paper anyway) but you'll pay the premium housing cost-wise. We have friends up in Fairfield and the schools there are highly regarded on the whole.

Stay out of Norwalk/Stamford/Bridgeport schools - some of them are a bit patchy.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Also some of the schools that King Gimp mentioned if you work in that school but live out of district your children can attend that school, my friend lives in Fairfield ,she got a job in the kitchen in Wilton school just so her three kids could go there, two of them are already in Wilton High.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:51 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Stay out of Norwalk/Stamford/Bridgeport schools - some of them are a bit patchy.
Bridgeport especially. It seems like every night on the CT news there's some new violent crime to report in Bridgeport.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:43 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Xpect Discounts for me...
Love to shop there -- get all my plants every spring at great prices!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

alandwalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Westport and Wilton/Weston schools are better (on paper anyway) but you'll pay the premium housing cost-wise.
Another vote for Westport - and you get the advantage of the great beach as well. Interestingly, lots of the smaller (and therefore cheaper) homes are in the area near the beach / marina.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alandwalker
Interestingly, lots of the smaller (and therefore cheaper) homes are in the area near the beach / marina.
You saw a small and cheap home near the water in Westport??

I think your definition of small and cheap is very different to mine

Homes down there are not usually small or cheap. Nice though.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he must mean those Cabanas on the Westport beach.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:04 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, agreed -- I have a friend who lives in a tiny place about a block from Compo Beach -- but I'd have to sell my place to about four different people, somehow take the money from each of them and run, to be able to afford it!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:56 am
Just Joined

alandwalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry - I was meaning relative to the rest of Westport
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albabalch
I also heard about the elementary school of the fairfield.they are best for teaching skills and teacher are also well educated..
It's a shame you didn't attend Fairfield schools... you might have learned something about spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Fairfield Locksmith
Your website, by the way, is replete with spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. That's not good for business.

Ian

Last edited by penguinsix; Feb 13th 2013 at 11:20 pm. Reason: removing the spam link.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
LOL, agreed -- I have a friend who lives in a tiny place about a block from Compo Beach -- but I'd have to sell my place to about four different people, somehow take the money from each of them and run, to be able to afford it!
There is a tiny place down there on the market at $550,000 - Advertised as a two bed but is actually a one bed - with a room for a couple of small dwarfs.