Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electricals - to ship or not to ship

Electricals - to ship or not to ship

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricals - to ship or not to ship

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My understanding of English grammar and syntax is that all PEP did was ask a question, and made no claim to have any current knowledge, which appears to be why he asked the question.
Thank you! As well as awesome to speak again on here with yourself!

My grammar is on the most part awful, though! Let me reattempt...:

'This discussion has come up many times, I am sure it is a bad idea to use voltage transformers to power crap from the UK in the US. EDIT: Periodically, people state they have investigated and were told it invalidates their insurance'. I have no desire to be an insurance agent, the commenter can do his own research.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 6:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
'is it still true'

says that this person has known at some previous time that it was true.
Correct, but that is not what he asked, and in any case it's no longer relevant, is it, or at least not unless you own a Delorean that can take you back in time?
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Thank you! As well as awesome to speak again on here with yourself!

My grammar is on the most part awful, though! Let me reattempt...:

'This discussion has come up many times, I am sure it is a bad idea to use voltage transformers to power crap from the UK in the US. EDIT: Periodically, people state they have investigated and were told it invalidates their insurance'. I have no desire to be an insurance agent, the commenter can do his own research.
thanks for your better attempted grammar. Nothing is going to happen to the string of lights or power supply an EE just verified that me, I was pretty sure anyway, thankyou for your concern. Product from the UK is proving to be better quality than the product I purchased, it probably had stricter standards to meet, I am not so sure I would have stereotyped UK products crap, that is a bit of a generalization.

You may be right about the potential insurance invalidity 'if you say so' and that stands, I'll err on the side of caution and heed your comments and do my own research, however its not going to stop me running a string of led lights outside which have been placed on a perfectly rated transformer.

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
thanks for your better attempted grammar. Nothing is going to happen to the string of lights or power supply an EE just verified that me, I was pretty sure anyway, thankyou for your concern. Product from the UK is proving to be better quality than the product I purchased, it probably had stricter standards to meet, I am not so sure I would have stereotyped UK products crap, that is a bit of a generalization.

You may be right about the potential insurance invalidity 'if you say so' and that stands, I'll err on the side of caution and heed your comments and do my own research, however its not going to stop me running a string of led lights outside which have been placed on a perfectly rated transformer.
Do you honestly think my grammar comment was referring to my original post here? Reading between the lines, I think you struggle to accept criticism, likely get passed over for middle management jobs a lot, and now will try anything to defend powering tat from the UK using a bulky transformer.

I think I should be a shrink.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, but that is not what he asked, and in any case it's no longer relevant, is it, or at least not unless you own a Delorean that can take you back in time?
if I did own one I could have rigged up the flux capacitor to run the lights .
have actually sat in one at a local 'night at the museum , back to the future theme night' and they ooze 80's nostalgia, it was a lot of fun.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Do you honestly think my grammar comment was referring to my original post here? Reading between the lines, I think you struggle to accept criticism, likely get passed over for middle management jobs a lot, and now will try anything to defend powering tat from the UK using a bulky transformer.

I think I should be a shrink.
what an amazingly constructive comment.

Old Feb 6th 2022, 10:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKviaLA
Curious if anyone has tried taken a Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer bought in the UK to use in the US? Planning to sell but would prefer not to. TIA
The machine can be readily converted by replacement of the motor, control panel and power cord. A neighbor did this. The task is pretty straightforward but the three parts struck me as expensive.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The machine can be readily converted by replacement of the motor, control panel and power cord. A neighbor did this. The task is pretty straightforward but the three parts struck me as expensive.
Reminds me of an old UK comedy sketch...... A road sweeper loves his broom so much, it has lasted him 15 years. Only had to change the head and handle 12 times each... (I paraphrased, but close enough lol)
Old Feb 10th 2022, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of an old UK comedy sketch...... A road sweeper loves his broom so much, it has lasted him 15 years. Only had to change the head and handle 12 times each... (I paraphrased, but close enough lol)
Trigger, from Only Fools and Horses. Classic.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute

Would a UK TV be able to tune to US broadcasted channels (or cable)?
Old Sep 30th 2022, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porkedpie
Would a UK TV be able to tune to US broadcasted channels (or cable)?
Given the size and fragility of TV's, and how cheap they are in the US, I wouldn't bring any flat panel TV these days. You can get a decent 50" TV for $400, and cheap one for $300, which is still decent enough, or you could go even bigger and get a 70" for $500-$1,000.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bin it all and rebuy here
Old Sep 30th 2022, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Bin it all and rebuy here

+1

Our son just bought a 55" LG smart LED TV for under £400 at Curry's. I went with him as he may have struggled to get it into little car.

Plenty to choose from around the £400 mark.

https://www.currys.co.uk/tv-and-audi...ions/tvs/55-64
Old Sep 30th 2022, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Kitchen appliances collectively tend to be the most problematic, followed by "anything with a motor" because motors often seem to be adversely affected by the different mains frequency in the US.

The lamps will be, in theory at least, the easiest to convert to US spec, but that assumes you can find a new bulb holder for American light bulbs (most bulbs in the US use an Edison screw, not the bayonet style connection that is most common the UK), and then you'll need a new plug for the other end of the cable. Contrary to popular, but mistaken, belief, replacement plugs are widely available, in stores like Lowes and Home Depot, or electrical suppliers distributors).

In short, given the things you have listed, I would leave/ sell/ give away everything with the sole exception of any lamps that are important enough to you to take the time to convert.

Printers are so cheap here in the US, it's ridiculous.

As a separate point, if you dig into the small print, US home insurance usually prohibits use of transformers, as do rental contracts if the landlord is savvy enough to have thought about the implications of renting to new immigrants.
New lamp parts are readily available and not that costly. He may have to replace the threaded steel center conduit to adapt to new bulb holder/socket. That’s readily available also. Many hobbyists make their own lamps so parts are out there.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ddsrph
New lamp parts are readily available and not that costly. He may have to replace the threaded steel center conduit to adapt to new bulb holder/socket. That’s readily available also. Many hobbyists make their own lamps so parts are out there.
You don't even have to do that these days, plenty of screw fitting bulbs available.

When our son moved over in 2017 there was a tall china cabinet he really wanted to keep so brought that with him. It has a candle shaped lamp with screw fitting, and an LED version was easily found here. I simply cut off the USA style plug and replaced it with a standard UK 3-pin, but if you prefer, or are not comfortable changing a plug, you can use an adapter. (The UK bulb takes 240v so you don't need a transformer)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.