Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

electrical stuff???

electrical stuff???

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future
Default electrical stuff???

What exactly is the situation about taking UK electricals to the US??
I'm v.confused.

I get that they have different dvds- and voltage. But people keep telling me that stuff won't work even with an adaptor.
And should we therefore not buy new all region dvd player till we get there?

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:57 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: electrical stuff???

Hi!

There have been LOTS of posts on here about UK to US electricals in the past.. worth doing a serach using the toolbar above.

In short, dont go buying any more electricals in the UK to bring over to the US unless you are certain they will work with the US voltage system. You can purchase step up / down adaptors if you want to try that on uk electricals in the US, but in short it doesnt always work (eg my white lights built into my UK Xmas tree and now orange through the step up / down adaptor - and I dont think large electricals like TV's vaccum cleaners etc work very well this way either.)

Most people end up dumping / selling all UK electricals before they leave, and re-purchase when they get here to the states... just like I did!

As for mutli region DVD players, you cant buy them in the shops here (I have been led to belive they are illegal, but I could be wrong), but you can get them off the internet.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

The region on the DVD is only part of the story. It is the connection from the DVD player to the TV. PAL vs NTSC or whatever. I don't think SCART is used over here so physical connectivity is an issue too.
We got rid of our electricals and bought new. (TV, DVD player etc)
With regard to your DVD collection I got a DVD player here and got a code from the Internet and was then able to play my UK DVDs without a problem.

Prices are way down at the moment too so you can use it as a chance to upgrade to HD if you haven't already.

Only thing we kept was the laptop. Because that has a dual voltage power supply anyway we just needed a new 'kettle' lead.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
As for mutli region DVD players, you cant buy them in the shops here (I have been led to belive they are illegal, but I could be wrong), but you can get them off the internet.
Not really true. Many DVD players can be region free off the shelf, for example Phillips models. Find one you like then check http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks before you buy to see if it can go region free.

As for electrics, some small appliances have a 110/240 switch, often concealed under a sticker/panel, on the rear near the cable connection.

As others have said, easier to buy here.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:58 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...As for mutli region DVD players, you cant buy them in the shops here (I have been led to belive they are illegal, but I could be wrong), but you can get them off the internet.
My last three DVD players have all been region free out of the box. One from Walmart, the other two from Amazon.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:04 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

If you have something that is of high $$ value or sentimental, you can get step down converters - http://www.voltageconverters.com/
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:39 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbj1000
My last three DVD players have all been region free out of the box. One from Walmart, the other two from Amazon.
I stand corrected! Did you do research to check which models are region free and then find them in shops or ask a salesperson in the stores. Maybe i spoke to a couple of numbptys but i was informed that it was not possible to buy region free off The shelves. Although maybe the manufacturers just dont advertise that region free feature to sales staff? Its certainly not ont the box of the one we got, even tough it is region free!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:23 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected! Did you do research to check which models are region free and then find them in shops or ask a salesperson in the stores. Maybe i spoke to a couple of numbptys but i was informed that it was not possible to buy region free off The shelves. Although maybe the manufacturers just dont advertise that region free feature to sales staff? Its certainly not ont the box of the one we got, even tough it is region free!
Researched online. The kids selling this stuff in Walmart aren't exactly experts!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
If you have something that is of high $$ value or sentimental, you can get step down converters - http://www.voltageconverters.com/
If, on the other hand, you have something that is of high ££ value you will be looking for a step up transformer ...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I added some stuff to the Wiki. In my arsenal of personal gadgets there are more that work in both countries than that don't.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to advertise a player as a multiregion player on the box and sell it as a multiregion player in a store. That's why if you go to a store you wont find any mention of multiregion in the store or on the box, plus for the majority of people they just don't care and most don't know that DVDs have region coding. That doesn't mean that it won't be multiregion out of the box or have the ability to make it multiregion with a remote code though.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nooj
What exactly is the situation about taking UK electricals to the US??
I'm v.confused.

I get that they have different dvds- and voltage. But people keep telling me that stuff won't work even with an adaptor.
And should we therefore not buy new all region dvd player till we get there?

Hi:

US is nominally 110/120 v and 60 Hz while UK is 220/240 v and 50 Hz. The cost of audio/video stuff is actually plummeting at the present time. Also, the US in the process of converting from analog to all digital broadcasting [the drop-dead date on analog was recently extended to June 17, 2009 -- but some cities have already taken the option of dropping analog -- San Diego for example].

Unless you are so totally attached to the equipment in question, it strikes me that you would be better off selling your stuff in the UK and replacing in the US. [BTW, e-bay might be the way to go].
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Unless you are so totally attached to the equipment in question, it strikes me that you would be better off selling your stuff in the UK and replacing in the US. [BTW, e-bay might be the way to go].
I'm one of those who agrees with the above, but there is considerable debate about it, esp. in the Canada forums. Transformers are available, but good ones are expensive, so it seems silly to me to have a houseful of expensive transformers powering items that would be cheap to replace in the US.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future

thanks for the help all !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.