Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electric appliances help

Electric appliances help

Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric appliances help

Originally Posted by steveq
.... It's no different to the reason that the UK has a crap rail gauge, and continental freight has to be reloaded or won't fit through tunnels etc - not because of the stupidity of our engineers, but that we were the first ones.
And the same in spades for the London Underground - the first by a long way, many decades before most other major cities even started planning for an underground passenger transportation system, and still today the largest "deep" underground system in the world.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Not true of braun/oral b toothbrushes. Generally - if it has an inline transformer get the magnifying glass out and so ling as it says input - 110-240 volts or a wider range, you are fine, just get a physical adapter plug.

No inline transformer box but its a small power usage device [no heating, cooling, big motors involved] check its rating plate for the same info.

Otherwise dont risk it, buy a new one in your destination. In truth goung from 240 to 110 IN ERROR is likely to just have a sulking thing, but it can burn out and burn you out... The other way 110 to 220 is dangerous fullstop...

Nb the background is interesting, americans werent to be trusted with 220, far tooo dangerous for them, the result is things like flexible cables have to be twice as thick - quite dumb really.
All the Braun and Phillips toothbrushes in our house say 100-130v on the bottom of the charger. I guess you must have the fancy international version. I remember my toothbrush in the UK was 240v only as I could never bring the charger to the US.

I see there used to be a multi voltage charger. No longer available on Amazon. Maybe the new ones are all dual voltage.
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-4725-62...ews/B000PJA1U0
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
If the voltage is compatible as explained above your Apple TV box should work fine. Not sure about the Kodie box in terms of content. My Apple TV box works great in both countries but my Roku did not like having an overseas IP (not being in the USA) and the apps and content on it did not work well so I ended up ditching it once back in the U.K.
Thanks, if that's the case I'll keep both boxes and bring them with me. I'm sure there's a US version of builds like the beast etc for the android box. If not I'll find some use for it, or ditch it, it certainly doesn't owe me anything 😉
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

We are doing our best to sell off many of the kitchen appliances, the TV, printer, drills and sanders etc.
Seems people want these things for nothing though, it's hard to shift them, when you can buy new so cheap these days.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie P
We are doing our best to sell off many of the kitchen appliances, the TV, printer, drills and sanders etc.
Seems people want these things for nothing though, it's hard to shift them, when you can buy new so cheap these days.
I remember those days, I practically gave most of my stuff away. It was nice to get some new tools once in the US, but I wish I had brought more with me.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 12:41 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
That's somewhat racist.

The US AC distribution system was the first (just) and certainly the most developed standards wise for many years. The Americans had standardised things like plugs and sockets, and switches years before the UK got round to even a standard voltage system - and I remember the mixing of outlets with Wirelex and modern 13 A systems, as well as DC.

Back at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century, who would have predicted electric appliances in every home, consuming several kW, demanding high voltages and lower currents ?

Its no different to the reason that the UK has a crap rail gauge, and continental freight has to be reloaded or won't fit through tunnels etc - not because of the stupidity of our engineers, but that we were the first ones.
Nope sorry that's just not true, ever heard of euro tunnel ? European railways are completely connected we all use the same gauge. In the early days it's true that isembard kingdom Brunel invented a approximately 6 foot wide gauge which was very impressive but nonstandard.

Americans I'm terribly sorry but your system is rubbish, Britain had distributed AC power a long time before the Americans, you had a problem historically in that your main protagonist was into DC, demonstrated for things like killing elephants.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 12:46 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

All UK homes built now have to be fitted with earth leakage circuit breaker's on all circuits which means that actually you can't hurt yourself with power anymore regardless of what you do. When is America going to follow?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Nope sorry that's just not true, ever heard of euro tunnel ?
No, not RAIL gauge, Loading gauge - the dimensions of the outside of the trains, the size of tunnels. not the gap between the rails - except the gap between adjacent tracks, the bend radiii, the station platform clearances. Ours is smaller and twistier than practically anyother network

Americans I'm terribly sorry but your system is rubbish, Britain had distributed AC power a long time before the Americans, you had a problem historically in that your main protagonist was into DC, demonstrated for things like killing elephants.
You realise of course, that US distribution uses the same standards as the rest of the world, everywhere except from the power pole to the home ?

Its true though that AC was pioneered in the UK. S z de Ferranti was a very early pioneer with Deptford in 1889 (Designed the whole system, at 21 years old !!!), and the FIRST centrally distributed AC system in the world, it was Westinghouse in Pittsburgh who was the pioneers of AC on the large scale, and very, very soon after Ferranti - so its really not fair to say that the War of the Currents delayed them very much either - Edison lost control of the company he founded as a result of the evident superiority of the AC system
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

All UK homes built now have to be fitted with earth leakage circuit breaker's on all circuits which means that actually you can't hurt yourself with power anymore regardless of what you do. When is America going to follow?
GFCIs are already mandatory for kitchens and bathrooms, and have been for decades (at least 27 years that I know of). There are also breakers (equivalent to fuses) available that offer the same functionality as a GFCI in addition to being a mere breaker, and I think entire breaker boxes also exist with GFCI/ current leakage detection functionality. I don't know when they may become mandatory.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:29 am.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:20 am

Breakers are not the same thing as earth leakage circuit breaker's, breaker is just like a reusable fuse, and there's a question of how fast it operates where as an earth leakage circuit breaker protects you against energy issues with the three wires [or 7 if its 3 phase] involved in the system and operates in milliseconds, typically with an ELCB you can pick up the positive and negative bare cables and not feel a thing.

Power distribution is also quite different, i have a friend in the uk who was sort of the 'wichita lineman' in his job, High tension lines in the UK operate at between one third and 2/3 of 1,000,000 V, I believe in America it somewhere different but I have no clue whether the one is superior to the other. I know we tend to use more tunnels for it.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:28 am.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:21 am

Re The rail gauge, trains move between all European countries through the channel tunnel so there is no issue they will run the same. The traction i.e. the actual engines - not the wagons - do get changed but that's as much to do with Green and othrr technical considerations as anything else, E.g. automatic signaling.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:24 am.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:22 am

Breakers are not the same thing as earth leakage circuit breaker's, breaker is just like a reusable fuse, and there's a question of how fast it operates where as an earth leakage circuit breaker protects you against energy issues with the three wires [or 7 if its 3 phase] involved in the system and operates in milliseconds, typically with an ELCB you can pick up the positive and negative bare cables and not feel a thing.
I know what a breaker is, my wording wasn't clear - it is now possible to buy breakers that have the additional functionality of a current leakage detector.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:26 am

Re The rail gauge, trains move between all European countries through the channel tunnel so there is no issue they will run the same.
"Loading guage" is different from "track guage", which is the well known 4' 8½". In other words the maximum permitted size of European trains is "bigger" to the extent that there are European trains that are too big to run on "standard", unmodified British tracks, not because of the rails (the track guage is the same) but because of the curves on British tracks (when the center point between the bogies overhangs the rails more than on a straight track) and the overhang of the wagons and carriages.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:40 am.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Loading guage" is different from "track guage", which is the well known 4' 8½". In other words European trains are "bigger" to the extent that they can't run on "standard", unmodified British tracks, not because of the rails but because of the curves and the overhang of the wagons and carriages.
But they do, my mothers house near london is near a line that has french limestone [for cement production i think] and polish coal trains several times a day.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:36 am

But they do, my mothers house near london is near a line that has french limestone [for cement production i think] and polish coal trains several times a day.
Well obviously not every single wagon in the EU is built to the maximum permitted European loading guage!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.