Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Eeeeek - A mouse!

Eeeeek - A mouse!

Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Eeeeek - A mouse!

I thought it was just a stereotype that women screamed and got on a chair when they saw one.

(a mouse)
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:29 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I thought it was just a stereotype that women screamed and got on a chair when they saw one.
same here, I think a lot of females on here are drama queens.

I was watching TV with the missus one night and saw something scamper across the kitchen floor towards the dog food. It was a mouse.

Neither of us had panic attacks.

The next morning when we woke up it appeared that the rodent had fallen into the bin containging dog food, so when I got a free moment, I took it down to the borrom of the yard and let him go.

no moving house

no exterminators

no screaming
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
OMG - I went into the kitchen at 6.45am this morning and went to put the kettle on. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move.....and nearly had a heart attack when I saw that it was a dark grey mouse... :scared:

Unfortunately I don't have a cat as I'm allergic to them, but I did think of Tom & Jerry cartoons where the mama of the house spots Jerry, jumps onto a chair and screams THOMAAAASSS!

Being the wimpy coward that I am, I screamed and the mouse seemed to jump and ran behind the oven. I ran straight up the stairs and my heart was pounding very fast indeed. My husband had left the house at 5.30am to go to an early meeting in NYC, so I called him and he burst out laughing - saying they're "only little and it's cold outside for them" and said to call pest control. At that time of the morning all the pest control services listed in the Yellow Pages just had answerphones on. My son just laughed at me and he went off to school (without any breakfast...).

I then legged it up to the gym where I go to aqua-aerobics, had tea and a cake from the vending machine and made some calls at 9am. The earliest anyone could come was between 2pm and 5pm so after my class I went out shopping and got home at about 1.59pm and stayed upstairs, wrapping Xmas gifts...didn't want to be downstairs LOL! The pest control guy turned up at about 5.50pm (grrrr) and found mice droppings behind the oven and near the wet bar in the basement.

He says that as soon as the weather gets cold, the mice first look for somewhere warm to go, then they look for food, but warmth is their no.1 priority. Favourite spots are the warm places behind the oven, behind the fridge and next to the dishwasher.....mice love the lining at the side of them. They can get through a hole the size of the diameter of a pinky finger (ugh) and possibly it/they came in the house where the tumble dryer outlet flue pipe goes.

The pest guy was going home for the day, so has put some mousetraps with peanut butter down. He checked the pantry which was fine - but we did eat out tonight. I'm still freaking out....I've just sent my husband to the Home Depot to get sealant and extra mousetraps (ugh, ugh, ugh) and nagged him into working from home tomorrow and the pest guy will come back with bait in boxes. In the meantime I'm staying upstairs as much as possible and avoiding the kitchen and basement for the next day or two.

I don't know why I'm scared of them...but it creeped me out. Oddly enough I used to love having geckos running up and down the walls when we lived in Singapore, but mice and spiders give me the willies.
Just a thought here but if you didn't spend all your free time poncing about at "aqua-aerobics" (Aqua-aerobic?? You're pulling my plonker aren't ya?) , then fannying around the shops all day and then plonking yourself infront of the computer and actually got off your arse and cleaned your house you lazy mare......you wouldn't have any mice.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:19 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

They also tend to breed when they come indoors.....
I lived in my friends council house when I was 17, the mice used to run along the kitchen countertops as we made a cup of tea. They would scratch at the door during the night as well, that used to keep me awake it was so loud...I remember the last straw being when my friends boyfriend got out of bed and put his feet on the floor, one ran between his feet. After that it was poison everywhere. Suprising what you'll put up with when you're young.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sarah
They also tend to breed when they come indoors.....
I lived in my friends council house when I was 17, the mice used to run along the kitchen countertops as we made a cup of tea. They would scratch at the door during the night as well, that used to keep me awake it was so loud...I remember the last straw being when my friends boyfriend got out of bed and put his feet on the floor, one ran between his feet. After that it was poison everywhere. Suprising what you'll put up with when you're young.
and have a mate that'll let you crash at her place rent free and shag your boyfriend everynight in the spare room.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:32 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

4 legged things don't bother me, but the 8 legged things :scared:
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:26 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
4 legged things don't bother me, but the 8 legged things :scared:
You should stay away from groups of four men at parties then.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:47 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

I'll trade you, your mouse for my three scorpions.

Down here in Texas, the pests we have are not just pests. They are pests that bite. Be happy with mice.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

since the coyotes took our last barn cat we've had a rodent population explosion, the only way to get rid is traps, kill the buggers, if you live trap them and let them go they'll soon find their way home.

fun! fun! fun!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:52 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sounding like Topper from Dilbert, a mouse is nowt. Try a big fat stinking rat (sorry Bob). In my kitchen. At 2am in the morning. UB40 would've been very proud.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:25 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I think every house I've ever lived in had mice at one time or another. It seems to be everyone's dirty little secret about their own houses. At least they're really easy to get rid of with dessicant poison.

Steel wool and dried blood will help keep them out but it's almost inevitable that they find a way in (expecially if you live in a house older than about 10 years). I just put out poison in my basement every October and make sure nothing is eating it...
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I think a lot of females on here are drama queens.

anyway the mice here are huge, they are the size of rats and the rats are as big as cats :scared:
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:44 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
I'll trade you, your mouse for my three scorpions.

Down here in Texas, the pests we have are not just pests. They are pests that bite. Be happy with mice.

I thought mice do bite!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
At the risk of sounding like Topper from Dilbert, a mouse is nowt. Try a big fat stinking rat (sorry Bob). In my kitchen. At 2am in the morning. UB40 would've been very proud.
hehe
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I thought mice do bite!
yeah, but not poisonous...nor nearly as bad as when a rat bites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.