Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Easy Open and Resealable Packages

Easy Open and Resealable Packages

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Easy Open and Resealable Packages

Does any one else have problems with these easy open or resealable packages that food comes in? It seems just about every one that I try has some sort of a problem.

One of the most common is sandwich meat that comes in a resealable pack and depending on the brand, each seems to have a different problem. Some you may never get open without completely cutting off the resealable part, others allow you to tear off a portion of the plastic to allow you to pull apart the seal but you can never get the seal apart or the packet tears or if you happen to get the seal apart, it won't reseal.

Lately I started buying Orville Redenbacher's new popcorn which now creates a bowl but when I try to tear the plastic off to open it up, that doesn't work. Then I use a scissors to start the cut and then tear and plastic holds to the paper. Then I have to take the scissors and cut all the different pieces of plastic off the paper.

Anybody else have these types of problems?

Last edited by Michael; Jan 3rd 2012 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easy Open and Resealable Packages

Yes, they are another pet peeve of mine

My life is a giant pet peeve though, if that thread is anything to go by

The offenders in this case though, would be Target and their crisps, the stupid zip lock seal always peels off the bag.

Also bulk bag of chicken, meat balls, or whatever you get from BJ's, they tend to die after being open and closed a couple of times, which is lovely fun.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. Mostly end up throwing the packaging away and putting the meat in shop bought food bags. Although the deli counter stuff is better, and just comes in a regular bag.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Does any one else have problems with these easy open or resealable packages that food comes in?
Yes.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:43 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Me too. Mostly end up throwing the packaging away and putting the meat in shop bought food bags. Although the deli counter stuff is better, and just comes in a regular bag.
I always get my sandwich meat from the deli, but lately the bags they are using in Safeway are really thin and crap, even the lady working at the counter was complaining about them and how they never seal and break and all because they are trying to save money

I usually get home and end up putting it either in a tuperware container or a ziplock baggie.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I always get my sandwich meat from the deli, but lately the bags they are using in Safeway are really thin and crap, even the lady working at the counter was complaining about them and how they never seal and break and all because they are trying to save money

I usually get home and end up putting it either in a tuperware container or a ziplock baggie.
Ditto to everything you just said! I buy the deli meat at Safeway, then transfer it to a Ziplock baggie at home. Ziplock baggies are the BEST! I even freeze stuff in the Ziplock sandwich baggies (not the specialty freezer bags), and it stays just fine for a very long time.

I buy the Ziplock baggies in bulk at Costco cause I use them so often.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ditto to everything you just said! I buy the deli meat at Safeway, then transfer it to a Ziplock baggie at home. Ziplock baggies are the BEST! I even freeze stuff in the Ziplock sandwich baggies (not the specialty freezer bags), and it stays just fine for a very long time.

Rene
We love them too.....but they are such a landfill nightmare....feel guilty about using such a throw away item...but there's only so many tupperware tubs you can squeeze into cabinets
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:11 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Does any one else have problems with these easy open or resealable packages that food comes in? It seems just about every one that I try has some sort of a problem.

One of the most common is sandwich meat that comes in a resealable pack and depending on the brand, each seems to have a different problem. Some you may never get open without completely cutting off the resealable part, others allow you to tear off a portion of the plastic to allow you to pull apart the seal but you can never get the seal apart or the packet tears or if you happen to get the seal apart, it won't reseal.

Lately I started buying Orville Redenbacher's new popcorn which now creates a bowl but when I try to tear the plastic off to open it up, that doesn't work. Then I use a scissors to start the cut and then tear and plastic holds to the paper. Then I have to take the scissors and cut all the different pieces of plastic off the paper.

Anybody else have these types of problems?
I have those popcorn bowl things. The trick to them is to hold them on the top plastic corner and on the paper side, but farther down the paper side than you think you need to. Give it a couple of tugs, and once the plastic corner lifts up you can move your hand up to the paper corner for better leverage.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
I have those popcorn bowl things. The trick to them is to hold them on the top plastic corner and on the paper side, but farther down the paper side than you think you need to. Give it a couple of tugs, and once the plastic corner lifts up you can move your hand up to the paper corner for better leverage.
I prefer the old type where you just pull on each end to open it. Why be so complicated?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Those bags that they put your cooked ham or chicken lunch meat and whatnot in can be a right pain in the hole if they are of the variety that has the little zippy locky thing. More often than not, it comes right off the first time you open the bag and then you have to spend the next twenty minutes trying to get the thing back on again.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Buy reusable tupperware-style containers for your lunch meat. Stick them in the dishwasher to clean them, then re-use. Easy. Hillshire Farm meat actually comes with a free one.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Ditto to your ditto - except for the Safeway part. We don't have those shops around here (that I know of).
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I prefer the old type where you just pull on each end to open it. Why be so complicated?
Because stupid people wouldn't wait for the steam to dissipate and would open them immediately and get burned by the steam.

This way, by the time you've faffed around with the thing, it shouldn't be a issue
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Because stupid people wouldn't wait for the steam to dissipate and would open them immediately and get burned by the steam.

This way, by the time you've faffed around with the thing, it shouldn't be a issue
That never happened to me before but now when I'm trying to get it open, that is what happens.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The offenders in this case though, would be Target and their crisps, the stupid zip lock seal always peels off the bag.
Haha hubby was trying to open a packet the other night in the dark - you know the old fashioned way of pulling both sides. Then DVD had to be stopped, lights back on, lots of swearing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.