Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Easter service

Easter service

Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light
Default Easter service

I'm a healthy agnostic myself, but my mother-in-law asked us to accompany her to the easter service at her church and we were happy to do so. I thought I'd share my experience...

Now, I expected the place to be a bit more modern than the old stone + wooden pewed churches I'm familiar with back in the UK, but I'm guessing this was one of those megachurches I've heard mentioned. This place was huuuuge! The car park must have held hundreds, if not thousands of cars, and that was overflowing with people parking on the grass. The foyer was packed with people waiting for the next service/performance, while numerous plasma screens suspended from the ceiling displayed the current service. There was a large gift shop selling all things God - crucifixes, books, videos, cds, posters, t-shirts and so on, and a creche where people were encouraged to leave kids under 6, so as not to disrupt the service. It's almost scary, the amount of money that must pass through these places. I couldn't help contrasting it to the archetypal English fund raising raffles to help fix a leaky church roof!

The service was held in a large theatre-like hall, with upper and lower seating and a large stage. TV cameras were dotted around the place, including one on a long pole they constantly swung across the audience to check we were all smiling. A group of musicians and various singers on stage provided the music, and although large screens relayed the words as well as close up shots, not many people seemed to be singing. The sermon was given by a young guy who started off quite well, but blew it as far as I was concerned when he had a quick dig at those crazy evolutionists. But still, the whole sound and light show was very polished and quite entertaining. It was certainly nothing like what I was expecting! Industrial-scale religion, it seemed to me!

Anyone else have experience of church or other religious services that differed to what you're used to in the UK?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:40 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Catholic but only go to Mass on the big days. I didn't find Good Friday's Passion to be any different. It's a tiny little church in my town though and I haven't been to a proper "Mass" there yet.

What denomination was the church you went to?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by sibsie
What denomination was the church you went to?
Err, um, that's a technical question... hey, they've got a website!
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I had a look and could not tell - is Happy Clappy a denomination?

I have seen the same thing here but perhaps not so big, fortunately no pressure to participate. They even have the local police doing traffic control on a Sunday.

Big question I have always wondered, how do they raise their money?

Did they pass the plate around or was it a Credit Card machine?
Old Apr 13th 2004, 7:05 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler Big question I have always wondered, how do they raise their money?

What surprised me when I got here was the amount of people who tithe (Give a percentage of their salary, usually 10-30%, to the church)

Guess they can't take it with them.....
Old Apr 13th 2004, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

HOW MUCH!

I think capitals are OK...

Well my Granny always said that there are no pockets in a shroud but seems a lot to pay with no proof of return on your investment!

Nice work if you can get it.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Scorchio
Err, um, that's a technical question... hey, they've got a website!

I think it was probaly one of the non-denominational churches. I attend church and was looking around to find one, we went to a local one here and like you found thousands of people there. My daughter who is 9 and has always attended church couldn't stand it, so far since we arrived we have tried a few but have yet to find one we feel comfortable attending.
As for the money side. I checked out one of the booklets which tells the previous weeks takings/offerings and they ran to thousands.... make our English 20-30 punds per service a bit small....
Suzie
Old Apr 14th 2004, 3:10 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler

They have 800 numbers to call in the contributions. Well they do on TV anyway. Ever see Robert Schuler and the Hour of Power in the Crystal Cathedral? I think they must all be Billy Graham spin offs.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

lol... near the end, maybe a dozen people appeared in the aisles and sent red velvet collection bags along the rows at lightning speed. There didn't seem to be a huge amount in there when it went past, but it all rustled, not jingled, if you know what I mean.

If they've got seating for a few thousand, running at around ten services a day, the collections alone could add up to a serious amount of money. Then consider tithes, income from the gift shop, day care and other activities held on site. Plenty of $$$, I'm guessing!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:43 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

HOW MUCH!

Well my Granny always said that there are no pockets in a shroud but seems a lot to pay with no proof of return on your investment!
Perhaps that is why it is called "faith"?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

I asked my other half what the going rate is here and she said the same!

I seem to remember something about it being easier for a rich man to go through the eye of the needle etc etc

Perhaps that bit never made it here, seems that the Lord does provide for the true beliver judging from some of the bumf that comes through our post...

But I am agnostic and perhaps should not decry others beliefs.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:00 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
Perhaps that is why it is called "faith"?

Nice answer.
Our church, although not as large as the one mentioned has an annual income of just over 1.5 million. The outgoings are just over this, so you can guess they are always short of money

But every cent is accounted for and listed for all to see. It's amazing what you can do with a few thousand members.