Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EAD question....yoohoo, Matt Udall..

EAD question....yoohoo, Matt Udall..

Old Sep 14th 2002, 2:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD question....yoohoo, Matt Udall..

Is it possible to apply for the EAD before you come to the US but AFTER you've got the K3? My UK spouse will not be getting on the next plane over once he gets the visa since he has loose ends to tie up in UK before he can leave. Just wondered if it's possible to get a jump on things since it looks like it could take at least 3 months before the EAD is given if not longer.....
Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2002, 3:20 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: EAD question....yoohoo, Matt Udall..

cindyabs wrote:
    > Is it possible to apply for the EAD before you come to the US but AFTER
    > you've got the K3? M

No.

Old Sep 15th 2002, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Someone else may offer a definative answer, but wouldn't it be better to let the I-130 process run it's course and then your UK spouse can arrive in the US without having to adjust status (unless you haven't been married for 2 year even then the next step is "only" removal of conditional permanent residency in 2 years.)
Old Sep 15th 2002, 3:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
Someone else may offer a definative answer, but wouldn't it be better to let the I-130 process run it's course and then your UK spouse can arrive in the US without having to adjust status (unless you haven't been married for 2 year even then the next step is "only" removal of conditional permanent residency in 2 years.)
I think that according to the current time lines the 130 (thru Texas) has gone from 7 months to over a year, The K3 route is a bit quicker.....We have been married 2 yrs and 3 months......
For us it's been a matter of finances. Originally for the first few months of marriage I was going to come to the UK. Then we decided to do it the other way around. The local INS folks here gave us some bad info, told him to come on over and then apply for Adjustment of Status. Needless to say, that's wrong, but we took that info in good faith and waited 6 months until he was ready to come over (he had had notice he was going to be made redundant). Once we found out the info they gave us was wrong, he was redundant. It took him 5 months to find a job.......Talk about misinformation!!!! .Meanwhile the events of 9/11 impacted directly on my employment (I'm a travel agent) and things were pretty tough for awhile. I took a second job and then he got a job and then a second job as well. So it has been a struggle of juggling timelines with money. 20/20 hindsight or Monday morning quarterbacking would say that we should have had a financial cushion but we don't. So we are trying to deal with it as best as possible, not easy thing when you're in your fifth decade.....I want him here as soon as possible (the visits over to him are not cheap) but I need him over here as soon as possible gainfully employed.