Reload this Page >

EAD - how long?

Wikiposts

EAD - how long?

Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road
Default EAD - how long?

So I'll be in US on G4 visa and my husband as my dependent.

He's applied for a few jobs from UK and one place is interested in him for a job in September. Nothing's definite but he's been shortlisted at least. The plan was for him to join me towards end of June, is that leaving enough time to get the EAD? Will he also need a SSN? Could he fly out earlier, apply for the EAD adn then back to the UK?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD - how long?

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
The plan was for him to join me towards end of June, is that leaving enough time to get the EAD?
It takes about 90 days to get an EAD from the time he files.

Will he also need a SSN?
Only if he wants to get paid. He can't apply for a SSN until after he has an EAD.

Could he fly out earlier, apply for the EAD adn then back to the UK?
He'll need to remain in the US long enough to have biometrics taken... anywhere from 3-5 weeks after applying.

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the USA on a L1A so my husband is L2. We arrived in mid Feb 2011. We waited 10 days to register for SSN for me, he applied for the EAD. It took about 3 months to come through. He then got his SSN. We were told to allow 3-4 months, this was accurate for us.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Only if he wants to get paid. He can't apply for a SSN until after he has an EAD.
He doesn't need a SSN to get paid.

He'll have 90 days to show them a SSN and in the meantime, the company will with hold the maximum amount of taxes, which he'll be able to adjust the deductions for once he provides a SSN.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He can't apply for a SSN until after he has an EAD.

Ian
I didn't need an EAD to apply for a SSN. I was L2 and applied for my SSN 10 days after arriving in the USA, I never applied for an EAD.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Havnfun
I didn't need an EAD to apply for a SSN. I was L2 and applied for my SSN 10 days after arriving in the USA, I never applied for an EAD.
The OP isn't on a L1 and L2 combo though.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The OP isn't on a L1 and L2 combo though.
Interesting, I didn't realize it made a difference based on which visa you were on. Have to say I have never heard of a G4 Visa before, will have to go look that one up
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Havnfun
Interesting, I didn't realize it made a difference based on which visa you were on. Have to say I have never heard of a G4 Visa before, will have to go look that one up
government type jobs, UN, that sort of thing, without being a diplomat.

Don't know if that makes a difference to the SSN and the EAD mind, but it is a different visa with different restrictions to the L1.