Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Primary education vs American Primary education..

British Primary education vs American Primary education..

Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:51 am
Just Joined

doyyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Primary education vs American Primary education..

Hello All,

Perhaps British expat teachers can help?

How does the British primary schooling system compare with the American primary schooling system.

We live in Edinburgh and we had friends from American visiting us and their 5 year old daughter appears to tackle with ease the curriculum of our P2 son.

They told us the US curriculum is not bounded, meaning the teachers could 'challenge' a pupil all the time and to get them better.

We couldn't confirm if this system is confined to just their school somewhere in California or nationwide.

That to me is suggesting the British schooling system is somewhat backward compared to the American one?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:06 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Primary education vs American Primary education..

I think it is a little unfair to say one system is backward compared to another. In both systems you get good schools and bad schools. All I can really say is that my Mam (a primary school teacher for over 40 years) was very impressed with the curriculum here. In her opinion, the work they were doing was at a higher level than they would do at the same age in the UK. She was also shocked that so many schools (pre-school and Kindergarden) taught using the Montessori method which has never been popular in the UK. Our 8 year old friends find the work more challenging. On the other hand, some schools only want to teach creationism here and the only criteria to pass is to have an understanding on Texas history.
I'm sure someone else will be along soon who can be more help.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

US system is all standardised testing and everybody has to lick the arse of the people on the various sports teams for some unknown reason.

I seem to have started things like multiplication and long division in school a good few years earlier than the age my son was when he started them out here also.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The standard varies widely from district to district state to state. You friend may well have been lucky enough to find a great fit.
My youngest is 6 she started 1st grade in July her little friend in Wales is the same age, and they are just about at the same level. My Dd however has been advanced to a 1/2 combo class as she is reading and comprehending at an almost 3rd grade level, math she's doing 1st grade work. Yet her friend in Wales is an average student doing regular course work for her age. So I think it's all swings and roundabouts, we do a lot of teach at home work as she is just so eager to know everything.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's massively different, hard to compare systems.

Each state is different, then depending on the county and how wealthy, the quality can range so much.

There isn't a national curriculum like there is in the UK which makes it easy to compare. Sure there are standarised testing in the US, but more for the older kids than primary age.

Cursive writing isn't taught in some areas here, evolution also isn't taught in some areas.

So what is better? What ever works for your kids, where you are I guess, because you could be at the school next door and that could be crap, or teaching completely different things.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's massively different, hard to compare systems.

Each state is different, then depending on the county and how wealthy, the quality can range so much.

There isn't a national curriculum like there is in the UK which makes it easy to compare. Sure there are standarised testing in the US, but more for the older kids than primary age.

Cursive writing isn't taught in some areas here, evolution also isn't taught in some areas.

So what is better? What ever works for your kids, where you are I guess, because you could be at the school next door and that could be crap, or teaching completely different things.
Even standardised testing is different from state to state. The standard in MA is much higher (testing wise) than PA.

I find it hard to imagine a 5 year old which is after all only kindergarten level, doing the same work as a kid in year 2 in the UK After all in year 2 you would already have 3 years of schooling under your belt. Perhaps she's just a very bright kid. I have no idea what the OP means in 'not bounded'?? What is that?

Like others have said schooling varies a lot from state to state, and even from district to district. Education and learning is so much more than just school.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
US system is all standardised testing and everybody has to lick the arse of the people on the various sports teams for some unknown reason.

I seem to have started things like multiplication and long division in school a good few years earlier than the age my son was when he started them out here also.
My daughter started multiplication and some division at the end of second grade, continued through third and fourth grade.... A good school district will start introducing it as early as possible....
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Even standardised testing is different from state to state. The standard in MA is much higher (testing wise) than PA.
Also standard for teachers to be qualified. Maine you need to score one of the highest to be certified, Mass isn't far behind, but the score to teach is say Florida is so low that you are one step above dragging your knuckles along the floor.

That's not to say teachers are shit there, just that the requirement to teach isn't set nearly as high.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I find it hard to imagine a 5 year old which is after all only kindergarten level, doing the same work as a kid in year 2 in the UK After all in year 2 you would already have 3 years of schooling under your belt. Perhaps she's just a very bright kid. I have no idea what the OP means in 'not bounded'?? What is that?
Yes, I thought the same.

We were here for 6 months when my daughter was 6, she was put into grade 1 here and the work seemed similar to what she was doing in the UK. When we came back she was in grade 4, elementary school was OK except a narrower curriculum; PE, music and computing had to be supported by parental contributions and I think they have gone altogether now. When you get to middle school level, the curriculum is much less broad, which my son found really tedious.

However, remember that this is a very big country, how can one possibly answer such a wide question.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Like others have said schooling varies a lot from state to state, and even from district to district. Education and learning is so much more than just school.
It really depends on the 5 year old, and of course the rest of the class. My daughter's kindergarten class was ready to read, and by January most every child in the class was reading and writing well. The teacher was able to go further with that class. However, talking to her teacher, after a new year started, she told me that her new class wasn't as ready....

I just talked to my 6 year old granddaughter this morning, she's in Year 2 and they are already doing spelling tests. This is more in line to 1st grade here, on average.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

deftoneuk is on a distinguished road

we find that here in Texas, the schools are keen to push the younger kids harder, but when the kids get older they only focus on the standardised testing, as opposed to trying to maximize the childs potential.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deftoneuk
we find that here in Texas, the schools are keen to push the younger kids harder, but when the kids get older they only focus on the standardised testing, as opposed to trying to maximize the childs potential.
Yes, you've got a point. I think things start to fall apart in middle school, but get slightly better in high school again. Not sure why, probably the age of the kids in middle school.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, you've got a point. I think things start to fall apart in middle school, but get slightly better in high school again. Not sure why, probably the age of the kids in middle school.
Have you ever been in a middle school, with all that attitude?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Have you ever been in a middle school, with all that attitude?
Yes! I have a 16 year old daughter, I know all about attitude.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 2:51 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind states or even school districts, it varies even within schools!
I have 1st 3rd and 5th graders and their experiences through the same school have been very different. The older 2 (boys) had the same 1st grade teacher, who was fantastic. If the kids "got" something, she moved on. I wonder if this is what the OP meant by "not bounded"? Both of them were at 3rd grade math level before they left 1st. Fortunately, they moved into classes with equally talented teachers, who continue to move them on - the 5th grader is doing OK on basic algebra.

Unfortunately, their 1st grade teacher has now moved up to an "overseeing" role and is not "available" to the 1st graders any more which is great for her, but a shame for us! So my youngest hasn't been so lucky....she had a great KG teacher who had her up to doing basic multiplication (also helped listening to the big bros learning it) but she has a different 1st grade teacher who teaches the whole class to the lowest common denominator. The teacher seems incapable of accepting that kids learn at different paces, and she sets the same work for all. I spend quite a bit of time in school, and her lessons are dull dull dull.....I have to say, this is a bit disappointing as my daughter (and quite a few of the other kids too) is/are bored silly, which is when the potential for trouble starts!

Anyway, that was just a way of saying expect lots of variation! We have some UK friends who arrived a year ago with (then) 2nd and 5th graders who had been in (according to the parents) a top notch school in Bedford - can't remember the name. The kids were slightly ahead on reading, and writing, and a bit behind on maths and science, but with help from some good teachers, it took them less than a grading period to get level. The parents reckon they were pleasantly surprised at the standard of schools here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.