Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EAD - district office v's service center

EAD - district office v's service center

Old Sep 13th 2002, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Simon Says is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD - district office v's service center

As far as I understand (and this may be wrong), it is possible to obtain an EAD from the INS service center or the INS district office with jurisdiction over your area.

Which office should one apply to? Is there any difference in the time taken to process the application? Also I have heard the district office schedules and interview - what's the nature of this interview?

Any help would be appreciated!

S S
Old Sep 13th 2002, 8:22 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Default Re: EAD - district office v's service center

"Simon Says" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> As far as I understand (and this may be wrong), it is possible to obtain an EAD
    > from the INS service center or the INS district office with jurisdiction over
    > your area.

Generally, the I-765 applicant does not have a choice. The type of I-765 dictates
the INS facility that will accept it for filing.

If an I-765 is based on an employment-based I-485, it is supposed to be filed with
the INS Service Center. Some INS district offices accept I-765s based on a pending
employment-based I-485. Most of the busier ones will not do so.

All I-765s requesting F-1 optional practical training, for example, must be filed at
the INS Service Center.

When 90 days have passed after an I-765 has been filed at an INS Service Center, most
INS district offices will issue the so-called "interim employment authorization."

I-765s based on family-based I-485s must be filed at the INS district office. There
is no choice.

> Which office should one apply to? Is there any difference in the time taken to
    > process the application?

Here's a list of processing times for some INS district offices: http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm.

Also I have heard the district office
    > schedules and interview - what's the nature of this interview?

I t varies depending on the nature of the case. What exactly have you filed, or are
you planning to file?

Old Sep 14th 2002, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Simon Says is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EAD - district office v's service center

> As far as I understand (and this may be wrong), it is possible to obtain an EAD
    > from the INS service center or the INS district office with jurisdiction over
    > your area.

Generally, the I-765 applicant does not have a choice. The type of I-765 dictates
the INS facility that will accept it for filing.

If an I-765 is based on an employment-based I-485, it is supposed to be filed with
the INS Service Center. Some INS district offices accept I-765s based on a pending
employment-based I-485. Most of the busier ones will not do so.

All I-765s requesting F-1 optional practical training, for example, must be filed at
the INS Service Center.

When 90 days have passed after an I-765 has been filed at an INS Service Center, most
INS district offices will issue the so-called "interim employment authorization."

I-765s based on family-based I-485s must be filed at the INS district office. There
is no choice.

> Which office should one apply to? Is there any difference in the time taken to
    > process the application?

Here's a list of processing times for some INS district offices: http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm.

Also I have heard the district office
    > schedules and interview - what's the nature of this interview?

I t varies depending on the nature of the case. What exactly have you filed, or are
you planning to file?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. We are planning to apply for a J-2 EAD. Based on what you say I think we should apply to the INS service Center.

S S