Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EAD Card Questions in NYC

EAD Card Questions in NYC

Old Aug 7th 2002, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Prince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD Card Questions in NYC

Hi Guys, an odd question but something I have come across.

I have my EAD appointment in Early September. I am interviewing for positions with a start date after the appointment.

A number of companies I have spoken to only see two types of people eligible to work in the US without visas; Green card holders and US citizens.

Fortunately I am progressing with a number of companies and I have explained that the EAD gives me legal rights to work.

Question 1. If I have my EAD appointment on the Monday, can I work on the Tuesday?

Question 2. Does anyone know of any good web sites with information regarding EAD (hopefully official sites) to put the potential employers mind at ease?

Question 3. Is the first EAD for 1 year only? Does it get extended automatically after this time if you are still waiting for the AOS interview?

(I am going through AOS in NYC. This is my first EAD)

Thanks, Jason
Old Aug 7th 2002, 12:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD Card Questions in NYC

Originally posted by Prince

A number of companies I have spoken to only see two types of people eligible to work in the US without visas; Green card holders and US citizens.

you can tell them that the EAD is one of the proofs of authorization as stated on the I-9 they will give you to complete at the time of employment. To deny you a position based on your only having an EAD is against the law. Some positions do require US citizenship and unless this is a requirement then they can't refuse you because you have an EAD and not yet a green card.[B}

Question 1. If I have my EAD appointment on the Monday, can I work on the Tuesday?

[/B] you can start working ten minutes after receiving the EAD.

Question 3. Is the first EAD for 1 year only? Does it get extended automatically after this time if you are still waiting for the AOS interview?

good for one year and you have to reapply for a new one 90 days minimum before its expiration. It is not automatically renewed. You need to submit another I-751 and the fee.

(I am going through AOS in NYC. This is my first EAD)

Thanks, Jason
Old Aug 7th 2002, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Prince is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much Rete.