British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Eaarthquake! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/eaarthquake-828817/)

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 1:58 pm

Eaarthquake!

We've just had a 4.4 shake up in LA (centered near Westwood on Westside)
Rocked, rolled, rattled and sounded soooo loud

AmerLisa Mar 17th 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Eaarthquake!

That's a baby.... ;):D

Is this your first?

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11176751)
That's a baby.... ;):D Is this your first?

Oh, I know....no, not first....experienced the horror of the Northridge one....weird thing about this one (for me) - was the incredible loudness of it's noise

AmerLisa Mar 17th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11176762)
Oh, I know....no, not first....experienced the horror of the Northridge one....weird thing about this one (for me) - was the incredible loudness of it's noise

We lived in Corona when Northridge happened and I just remember the rolling...

Of course I'm a So Cal native, so pretty used to them. After the initial weird feeling, it's all pretty normal, unless you're in a highrise...:)

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 4:08 pm

Immediate thought - has our house fallen down, hours before close of escrow? :eek:

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 4:08 pm

Maybe there was an amber alert at the same time.

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11176943)
Immediate thought - has our house fallen down, hours before close of escrow? :eek:

Banish such thoughts!
Bad karma
:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed: that all goes well - even tho you are......---->

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11176948)
Maybe there was an amber alert at the same time.

a fiendish :demon:
:lol:
btw: Obvious how rattled I was - couldn't even type this thread title without stutttttttering fingers.

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11177134)
Banish such thoughts!
Bad karma
:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed: that all goes well - even tho you are......---->

a fiendish :demon:
btw: Obvious how rattled I was - couldn't even type this thread title without stutttttttering fingers.

Oh I thought that was intentional - shaky :D

Thanks, just heard it closed! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/happy.gif

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11177140)
Oh I thought that was intentional - shaky :D
Thanks, just heard it closed! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/happy.gif

YAY!!!!!!
Time to celebrate
Light the candles/pop the corks/ jump up and down and sing hallelujah :cake::drinkingwine:
When does next chapter begin? :britflag:

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11177166)
YAY!!!!!!
Time to celebrate
Light the candles/pop the corks/ jump up and down and sing hallelujah :cake::drinkingwine:
When does next chapter begin? :britflag:

Thanks Mc - British chapter in August.

S Folinsky Mar 18th 2014 12:35 am

KTLA News Anchors Freak

I think this caught it very well.

ned1983 Mar 18th 2014 1:51 am

Maybe because I haven't witnessed the devastation of an earthquake first hand or maybe because very few things in life make me give a s**t before coffee and 7am.

I awoke to my SoCal native girlfriend shaking me awake petrified, just put my arm around her and went back to sleep... Definitely the best quake I have experienced though. The last one to wake me was a sudden crack but not much of a shake.

joto Mar 18th 2014 2:50 am

I was lying in bed with the dogs this morning and heard a faint rumble at first then the bed moved and the doors rattled. The dogs weren't bothered at all. It was a bit scary as we haven't been in CA very long.

Michael Mar 18th 2014 3:33 am

Originally Posted by ned1983 (Post 11177771)
Maybe because I haven't witnessed the devastation of an earthquake first hand or maybe because very few things in life make me give a s**t before coffee and 7am.

I awoke to my SoCal native girlfriend shaking me awake petrified, just put my arm around her and went back to sleep... Definitely the best quake I have experienced though. The last one to wake me was a sudden crack but not much of a shake.

In the bay area, a 4.4 earthquake is barely in the news. However if under the right conditions, a 4.4 quake can feel like a 6-7 quake.

I was at work in San Jose during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake about 20 miles away from it's epic center and although everything shook and swayed, after it was over, I continued working thinking it was just another 5-6 quake but 80 miles from the epic center in San Francisco and Oakland, all hell was breaking lose.

Curtis86 Mar 18th 2014 5:20 am

It scared the hell out of me. My closet doors are all mirrors and the rattle was making it seem even worst.

Sally Redux Mar 18th 2014 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Curtis86 (Post 11177925)
It scared the hell out of me. My closet doors are all mirrors and the rattle was making it seem even worst.

It didn't feel just lateral, it was like someone picked the room up and shook it.

S Folinsky Mar 18th 2014 6:12 pm

Spoke to my daughter yesterday and she expressed the same feeling that I had had. The first jolt was an alert to see if it would keep going. Yesterday, it didn't.

Back in 1994, the temblor went on for 31 seconds. That was the scary part, one just wants the damn thing to eff-ing STOP. I understand that the 1964 Good Friday temblor in Alaska went on for three minutes -- an eternity.

Michael Mar 18th 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11178886)
It didn't feel just lateral, it was like someone picked the room up and shook it.

I believe it depends primarily on the depth of the earthquake that determines the type of movement that will be felt by most people.

MMcD Mar 18th 2014 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by ned1983 (Post 11177771)
Maybe because very few things in life make me give a s**t before coffee and 7am.

The following isn't something I'd have been inclined to post about - but hey - your euphemism, ned, (it's all your fault :lol:) prompts this confessional:

The only things predictable about earthquakes are....
1. They're not
2. They always make me need to do just that (see quote, above)
Big-time
Urgently -
No matter how much or how little I've had to eat prior - and no matter how recently or long ago I ate it.....

Which always then puts me in a dare-I, or dare-I-not quandary - as to whether I'm going to be you-know-where, in the midst of doing (ohhh what-a-relief...) you-know-what....
only to discover (whilst in the midst of the "throne" business ) that what was an earthquake a few seconds earlier was but a foreshock to THE BIG ONE.......:eek:
Sh---ing on the throne is not where I'd want to be in the midst of at that moment!

end of public confessional.....:o

soap addict Mar 18th 2014 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11176943)

Hi Sally

Hope you are ok. Where have you moved to? Hope new house is in one piece.

Soap addict

Sally Redux Mar 19th 2014 12:19 am

Originally Posted by soap addict (Post 11179431)
Hi Sally

Hope you are ok. Where have you moved to? Hope new house is in one piece.

Soap addict

Hi! Thanks. Lost Hills temporarily, on the way to the UK.

I think I saw you moved too? How are you all?

soap addict Mar 19th 2014 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11179574)
Hi! Thanks. Lost Hills temporarily, on the way to the UK.

I think I saw you moved too? How are you all?

Wow didn't realise you were going back. When you off? . We are in North Carolina, been here almost a year. Getting used to it but the weather is terrible compared to so cal.

Soap addict

BEVS Mar 19th 2014 2:38 am

I bluddy hate quakes. I really do.

Shallow ones are the worse even if not so 'strong'

I'm always on my feet and outta the house instantly. I can't help it. Fight or flight thing going on I guess. Mr BEVS on the other hand has been known to not feel a thing.

There. I shared how I feel about the wretched things.

Sally Redux Mar 19th 2014 2:49 am

Originally Posted by soap addict (Post 11179686)
Wow didn't realise you were going back. When you off? . We are in North Carolina, been here almost a year. Getting used to it but the weather is terrible compared to so cal.

Soap addict

August - back to Brum.

Celia used to live in NC and says it's really nice.

Good to hear from you!

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11179702)
I bluddy hate quakes. I really do.

Shallow ones are the worse even if not so 'strong'

I'm always on my feet and outta the house instantly. I can't help it. Fight or flight thing going on I guess. Mr BEVS on the other hand has been known to not feel a thing.

There. I shared how I feel about the wretched things.

I'm never sure what you're meant to do so I don't do anything.

MMcD Mar 19th 2014 5:24 am

Originally Posted by soap addict (Post 11179431)
Where have you moved to?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11179574)
Lost Hills temporarily, on the way to the UK.

Lost what?
You've lost me!
Never heard of it
Is there such a place?
Sounds like a David Lynch fantasy
So poetically evocative
Lost Hills, Nowhere USA
A perfect backdrop for the slow, final fade out .......:wave::wave::wave:

Sally Redux Mar 19th 2014 5:31 am

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11179819)
Lost what?
You've lost me!
Never heard of it
Is there such a place?
Sounds like a David Lynch fantasy
So poetically evocative
Lost Hills, Nowhere USA
A perfect backdrop for the slow, final fade out .......:wave::wave::wave:

Yes it does sound like one of his :lol:

Lost Minds :p

MMcD Mar 19th 2014 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11179827)
Lost Minds :p

otoh: to quote that well known (in BE land) sage:

You might have survived Cleveland. You might have escaped from New York. But this is LA, vato. And you're about to find out that this ****ing city can kill anybody! ~ Cuervo Jones

How does Lost Hills fit into the equation?

Sally Redux Mar 19th 2014 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11179842)

otoh: to quote that well known (in BE land) sage:

You might have survived Cleveland. You might have escaped from New York. But this is LA, vato. And you're about to find out that this ****ing city can kill anybody! ~ Cuervo Jones

How does Lost Hills fit into the equation?

:p

Don't tell anyone, I quite like it here :rofl:

scrubbedexpat027 Mar 19th 2014 3:52 pm

Not my first quake, but the first on my birthday :)

Shook me about a bit being up on the 3rd floor but nothing to write home about. News channels totally over the top as usual.

GeoffM Mar 29th 2014 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11179019)
I believe it depends primarily on the depth of the earthquake that determines the type of movement that will be felt by most people.

Somebody asked this last night on the USGS press conference - apparently it's the location of the person that determines what is felt by that person. Maybe mini mountain ranges dampen certain effects, resulting in different experiences for people either side, for example.

I find that weird. Okay, I've only felt 4 earthquakes now, but all were eerily silent. The first two were during the night so I probably missed the initial shaking, but it was just the house creaking and stuff on shelves that were the only noises.

Last night's one felt really weird. My first three were just shakers, like driving along a typical Californian road :whistle: but last night I was standing in a restaurant and it felt like the whole thing tipped sideways! Then up and down a few times, lesser each time.

Got home to find a few things fallen out of cupboards and the cat scared stiff. She wouldn't come out from behind the TV until just an hour ago, 12 hours after the shock.

scrubbedexpat027 Mar 29th 2014 5:29 pm

Last nights was the biggest and longest I've ever experienced. My whole apartment was rocking back and forth for about 20 seconds.

joto Mar 29th 2014 6:04 pm

I felt the ground rolling and I think the noise was the house movement, but luckily no damage. I went outside to see if the slope in the back garden had come down into the pool, but all was well. We were about 15-20 miles east of the epicenter. That was scary for someone not used to quakes. :eek:

S Folinsky Mar 29th 2014 6:29 pm

I'm about 25 miles to the Northwest of the epicenter. I was sitting down watching a movie. It was a rolling motion for about 10 seconds. Definitely felt it.

Again, the main reaction is waiting to see if it keeps going. The one a couple of weeks back was a sharp jolt. Felt quite different. According to LA Times this one was on the same fault as the 1987 Whittier Narrows temblor.

I don't like the shakes, but after Northridge, my reaction is now to wait and hope the thing stops.

GeoffM Mar 29th 2014 6:41 pm

Again according to the USGS thing last night, the probability of getting a bigger quake after another one diminishes rapidly in time. I can't remember the specifics but it's something like 5% after day 1 and under 1% on day 3.

13 aftershocks >2.5M so far.

GeoffM Mar 29th 2014 9:36 pm

Just had another - certainly felt that one! At a guess, maybe 4.5...

scrubbedexpat027 Mar 29th 2014 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 11196124)
Just had another - certainly felt that one! At a guess, maybe 4.5...

Yep :)

scrubbedexpat027 Mar 29th 2014 9:38 pm

This is interesting.

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

GeoffM Mar 29th 2014 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by dek (Post 11196128)

The one I use is http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ - not as pretty but the mobile version is formatted nicely on a phone.

Alarming thing is these last few earthquakes are in a straight line - heading directly towards our house with this latest one in Rowland Heights just a few miles away! :ohmy:

Michael Mar 29th 2014 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 11196137)
The one I use is http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ - not as pretty but the mobile version is formatted nicely on a phone.

Alarming thing is these last few earthquakes are in a straight line - heading directly towards our house with this latest one in Rowland Heights just a few miles away! :ohmy:

Back in the 1980s, mild to moderate earthquakes were hitting the Livermore area daily. After about 6 months, people that lived in the area were getting very spooked and the earthquakes finally disappeared after about 1 year.

So you only have about 350 days to go.:sneaky:

joto Mar 29th 2014 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 11196137)

Did you f@rt? :lol: