Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E-verify self verify

E-verify self verify

Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default E-verify self verify

USCIS proudly told me today that 65,000 whole people have used self verify since it was started over a year ago to check their employment eligibility. And looking at the budget request it cost well into the hundreds of thousands to set up, so bargain really.

Anyway the URL is: https://selfcheck.uscis.gov if you want to have a go, thought it might be a bit more interesting for people on here given the number who are in a non-immigrant status.

Essentially how it works is that in the first step you put your usual personal info in and it passes that information to Equifax and you then complete a credit score style questionnaire. Then after your ID has been confirmed, it asks you for your social security number and also other information depending on your status such as your alien number. Checks against the SSA database and the DHS database (if you're not a US citizen) and spits out a result.

It is intended for people who reside in the US only.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: E-verify self verify

I must be missing something because I can't see the point of this. If you are a US citizen or have a valid visa you already know that you can work. If you are not a citizen or don't have a visa, you can't. Or is that not correct? Why would I need a webiste to tell me what I already know and that simply adds to the vast store of information that the government already has on you anyway?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-verify self verify

The idea is that you can check to make sure the info is accurate.

When Arizona mandated e-verify be used, there were a lot of people who were rejected by the system because for example they had changed their name through marriage and never notified the SSA. So Jane Smith became Jane Jones and Jane Jones doen't match up with 123-45-6789 in the SSA database.

Because of all the confusion they came up with the self-check system so you could get things sorted out prior to looking for a job.

It is handy for example if you've just been granted employment authorization and want to know whether the SSA have got that in their database yet. A lot of people don't realize just how frequently they're supposed to notify the SSA of changes on SS-5, for example if you have been naturalized.