Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

E-verify advice

E-verify advice

Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

RadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to all
Default E-verify advice

My employer is registered as a federal contractor and as such needs to check all employees, who began employement after Novembr 196, are allowed to work through e-verify.

From my H1-B days (and J-1 days possibly) through to my conditional green card, I have filed I-9s. I was naturalized in May of this year, but haven't updated any records or filed any other I-9s.

No excuses just lazy.

Anyway I know there is something I need to do with the SSA regarding my Social securtity number, and i was hoping someone could remind me what that is. My USC SSN card looks just likes my wife's with no DHS legend or anything on it.

Also I was wondering if anyone has had experence with e-verify and if USCIS would have notified the e-verify system that I am a citizen now, or is that something I also have to do myself?

I guess that the main thing I am asking is, do you think I am likely to have problems with e-verify due to my inaction? Are there any sites out there that I can go to check what it considers my status to be?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-verify advice

Originally Posted by RadgieGadgie

Anyway I know there is something I need to do with the SSA regarding my Social securtity number, and i was hoping someone could remind me what that is. My USC SSN card looks just likes my wife's with no DHS legend or anything on it.
You need to go to a SSA office with your Naturalization Certificate and have them change your status in the system to citizen. It only takes a few minutes, plus waiting time. They take a copy of the certificate and I believe check with the USCIS to confirm you have been naturalized.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 7th 2009 at 7:14 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

While you definitely should update your status with Social Security I don't think that it will really make any difference in your case as far as E-verify is concerned.

If I understand correctly, you had a green card and social security number and were authorized to work immediately prior to your naturalization so regardless of whether your status has been updated any check that is done should come back indicating that you are authorized to work.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

RadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to allRadgieGadgie is a name known to all

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:03 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You need to go to a SSA office with your Naturalization Certificate and have them change your status in the system to citizen. It only takes a few minutes, plus waiting time. They take a copy of the certificate and I believe check with the USCIS to confirm you have been naturalized.
They will also take your old SS card from you and give you a letter you can use as an interim measure until your new card arrives.
Expect a new card in a couple of weeks.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
They will also take your old SS card from you and give you a letter you can use as an interim measure until your new card arrives.
Expect a new card in a couple of weeks.
Didn't take mine didn't even ask for it just asked if I wanted a new one. As mine has no restrictions on it and is the same as my wife's one I said no.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:13 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Didn't take mine didn't even ask for it just asked if I wanted a new one. As mine has no restrictions on it and is the same as my wife's one I said no.
Mine had restrictions printed on it from my H1B days, something like "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". The clerk said she had to keep it, perhaps due to said restrictions on it.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:34 pm

Mine had restrictions printed on it from my H1B days, something like "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". The clerk said she had to keep it, perhaps due to said restrictions on it.
Yes that would be why, you had me worried thought I had messed up.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That changes when you become a PR. At naturalization, they shouldn't change out the card, just update your status in the system.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 8:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you need to let SS admin know you are now a citizen if you never had any restrictions on your card?
It's something I never did, I didn't know I had to. I've been a citizen since 2002
Old Dec 8th 2009, 8:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Why would you need to let SS admin know you are now a citizen if you never had any restrictions on your card?
It's something I never did, I didn't know I had to. I've been a citizen since 2002
Because you are entitled to different SSA benefits as a citizen than as a PR. Remember that Medicare, Disability and other safety net programs are administered by SSA, not just your retirement benefits.

The 'restrictions' are only printed on the card, and only for non-immigrants. It's to prompt employers to ask for the EAD/work permit when hiring.

If you want to collect SS benefits from abroad one day, you'll want them to know you are a citizen.

I am a US citizen but plan to live overseas. Can I collect benefits there?

What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?

If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship for new and replacement cards. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
That changes when you become a PR. At naturalization, they shouldn't change out the card, just update your status in the system.
When I became a PR I never took the time to get a new SS card
I would show my PR card in conjunction with my SS card.
After naturalization I still had my old SS card showing restrictions on it.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Because you are entitled to different SSA benefits as a citizen than as a PR. Remember that Medicare, Disability and other safety net programs are administered by SSA, not just your retirement benefits.
I keep hearing people say this, but I am still not sure exactly what the difference in benefits is between citizens and permanent residents.

I know you mentioned Disability benefits, but things like SSDI are based on your contributions to Social Security not on whether or not you are a citizen - I know this because my partner (who is a permanent resident, not a citizen) is disabled and receives SSDI benefits based purely on the fact that he had made sufficient contributions to be entitled to it. Oh, and he also gets Medicare since he has been disabled for more than 2 years.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:12 am

The one that always stuck for me was receiving benefits if you live outside the US. There's a boy in our old Greek village who is developmentally disabled and lives in Greece off his SS benefits. PRs wouldn't get that, and they can't get their SS retirement payments paid overseas (tho they might xfer into the local plan).

If I leave the US, can I continue to receive benefits?

I'll send the BGH an email and see if he can tell us why SSA recommends that you inform SSA that you've become a citizen.
I can't understand why someone wouldn't, but it would be nice to give a more comprehensive answer to 'why bother'.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is really interesting. I don't think Dh even changed his status either, he became a citizen in 1985 I'll ask him and maybe we'll get all our papers together and go visit our local office and let them know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.